Author Topic: SDI: Tribe Elimination Challenge  (Read 19788 times)

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
Re: SDI: Tribe Elimination Challenge
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2007, 07:25:22 PM »
I'm just an inch too close to the shore line to like the idea of storms. Mainly because this time last year, it was  two inches. Costal erosion. Hope you're all somewhere safe.

Yay EnAblers!

Bye bye Booty!

Jen
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 07:26:12 PM by Mrs Mitchell »
Customer Service Associate
jennifer@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline Gemelli

• Scurvy Dog
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2007, 09:54:57 PM »
HOLD UP.

This may not change the fact that the EnAblers won the challenge, but I'd like to see proof for that "Diamond in the oven at 850F" question.

AFAIK, diamond begins to burn above 800oC.  850oF is only 454oC, and shouldn't lead to the diamond disappearing at atmospheric pressures in a normally oxygenated environment.  I was sure this was a trick question to catch those who didn't check their units!

I may be wrong, but I'd like to see the sources.  If Tribe EnAblers got this one "correct" and we didn't, it may be a tie.  >:D

Our other two wrong answers are clear-cut, although Canada? I'm really kicking myself for hitting the site so often! Was sure it would be the US. ;D

If you have proof otherwise on the disappearing diamond, congratulations to the snausages!  And does retiring the thong mean it's no pants day?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 09:59:25 PM by Gemelli »
Every single soul is poem written on the back of God's hand

Snooper

« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2007, 10:19:31 PM »
We did get that question right G, but we also thought USA was the answer..

Offline Gemelli

• Scurvy Dog
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2007, 10:23:54 PM »
We did get that question right G, but we also thought USA was the answer..

Heh, how did you settle on Canada then?  I didn't have time to try get at the deeper forum statistics (which I doubt are supposed to be publicly accessible, and I wouldn't hack the site for an answer even if I knew how).  Just curious, since we went mostly by the number of American members and the fact that DBL is in the US - plus the fact that there's 10x as many people in the US!

I strongly suspect that I had a big influence on this since I hit the forum often for very short periods of time (check for unread replies and leave).  Shot myself in the foot, I did.  :rotflmao:

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2007, 09:01:12 AM »
Ha! I see that Snoop wrote last evening that the storm "passed" by her. NOT! That was the first of many, many, many, many, many, many, many... (you get the idea) more to come.  When I went to bed, we'd already had SEVEN HOURS of NON-STOP thunder and lightening, VERY voilent for several hours, intersperced with many heavy rain showers, some torrential, with winds reaching 80 mph. Our lights inside the house flickered on and off for hours, and after I went to sleep, we lost power at some point, so I know it continued for several more hours. I've never been in such violent weather that LASTED for SO  LONG. The "light show" was spectacular, if you like that sort of thing: the electricity in the sky was every color in the rainbow.  :xyxnervous:

Offline evilmailjeep

« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2007, 09:19:07 AM »
The Lesotho is not correct. It was found in 1961, by a woman yes, but in 2006 the Lesotho Promise was also found by a woman at the same mine. It weighed 603 carats, beating the previous record holder by 2 carats.  (The finder of this diamond is Agnes Phatela)
Here is the new one, with the finder's name in the article  http://forum.purseblog.com/the-jewelry-box/a-girls-best-friend-54217.html
The old diamond, simply named the Lesotho is here http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/time-zone/usa/california/los-angeles/beverly-hills/rodeo-drive/harry-winston/index.htm The finder of this diamond is Ernestine Ramaboa

Offline Awestruck

« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2007, 09:46:26 AM »
Whereabouts are all these storms ? I leave next Saturday for 3 weeks visiting Las Vegas, Palm Springs, Van Nuys, San Luis, San Francisco and Hawaii. Are any of these areas affected ? I`m in the UK so we don`t get much information about US weather conditions.
Diamonds are like people, put them under a microscope and you`ll always see a flaw but hold them up to the Sun and each and every one is beautiful.

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2007, 10:00:35 AM »
Well, there are MANY parts of the US getting severe weather right now, several states, like Ohio, are UNDER WATER from flooding. Then, until these recent storms, most of the East Coast south has been experiencing a drought.

The weather I was referring to is on the East Coast. Last night, the storms worked up the coast, mainly from Virginia to New England. Of course, this system will be gone before you arrive, and we are on the other side of the country from where you will be travelling.

Please, remind me a few days before you leave, I, or someone from out West, can give you an up-to-date weather report.

Sounds like a lovely trip!

Offline Awestruck

« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2007, 10:11:43 AM »
Thanks Trinkette you`re a star. I havent a clue what to pack and I`ve no idea what the temperature will be out there. I`ll send you a PM a couple of days before I leave if that`s ok ?
Diamonds are like people, put them under a microscope and you`ll always see a flaw but hold them up to the Sun and each and every one is beautiful.

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2007, 10:15:59 AM »
I'd love to help!

Offline diamondjunkie

« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2007, 04:48:21 PM »
The Lesotho is not correct. It was found in 1961, by a woman yes, but in 2006 the Lesotho Promise was also found by a woman at the same mine. It weighed 603 carats, beating the previous record holder by 2 carats.  (The finder of this diamond is Agnes Phatela)
Here is the new one, with the finder's name in the article  http://forum.purseblog.com/the-jewelry-box/a-girls-best-friend-54217.html
The old diamond, simply named the Lesotho is here http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/time-zone/usa/california/los-angeles/beverly-hills/rodeo-drive/harry-winston/index.htm The finder of this diamond is Ernestine Ramaboa

Looking into this and the heat question but you are all going to have to be a little patient so that we can be sure we have the facts straight.........cool and calm people.........where's a smiley doing an 'oooohhhhmmmmm' when you need one!

Offline evilmailjeep

« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2007, 04:59:15 PM »
What do dyslexic Buddists say? "MOOOOOOOO" sorry to offend anyone, I am just being cheeky...

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2007, 05:16:33 PM »
Terrible, EMJ! Reminds me of the dyslexic devil worshipper. He sold his soul to Santa...

Ok, sorry!

Jen

Offline evilmailjeep

« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2007, 05:19:29 PM »
or the agnostic one who says you can't prove the existance of Dog.......

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2007, 05:22:33 PM »
I can't compete with that!  ;D

Jen

Offline luvnjewelry

« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2007, 06:22:28 PM »
or the agnositic, insomniac, dyslexic who stays awake all night wondering if there really is a DOG! ;) ;D

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2007, 08:17:33 AM »
 :faintthud:

Offline evilmailjeep

« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2007, 08:21:03 AM »
What Trinkette? I couldn't think of anything to top that one either...

Offline diamondjunkie

« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2007, 02:49:38 PM »
Okay, I have googled and searched and driven myself plain nuts - as has DJM.  Last I heard he was drinking himself into oblivion last night in an attempt to forget diamond facts I don't think he ever wanted to know.......hehehe.

Here's how it stands:  The first question turns out to not be the most straightforward answer.  We had the answer as The Lesotho and you can find plenty of info on the web to point to that answer.  This diamond was found and claimed by a woman.  There was indeed a later diamond from the same mine called The Lesotho Promise which was just 2cts larger and was found by a female rock sorter for a diamond company.  One team answered 'Lesotho', the other answered 'Lesotho Promise' and I am loathe to mark one wrong because it was one of those questions that if you stumbled onto the wrong answer, you wouldn't readily believe there was a different answer looking at the links as the names are near enough identical, as are the carat weights.  Sometimes, different sources can quote slightly different carat weights for these larger stones so it wouldn't have jumped out at me and we're not in the habit of trying to trip you guys up when it was a hard enough question to begin with.

That all being said, I'm simply going to remove that question and answers from the results because I don't feel it was a fair question - that is squarely the fault of the judges.  Our hands have been slapped and we are feeling mighty sheepish...........although DJM is feeling sheepish AND his head is pounding so go easy on him..........

As for the diamond dissipating question:  I just want you all to know that you should NEVER cross Gemelli when it comes to anything science based!  The man is a scientific pit bull!  This is another one of those questions that I am just going to pull because the answer we had was the one that the EnAblers found yet G has sent me lots of links with scientific info that has made my hair curl! 

So out of 18 valid questions, the results are:

Enablers 17, Booty 16

Offline Gemelli

• Scurvy Dog
« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2007, 03:07:46 PM »
DJ - it's your call as the judge.  However, I would ask you to grab an account at the Pirate Cave (I will send you the details by PM) and have a look.  We discussed both of these questions very carefully, and in addition compared and contrasted the find dates, carat weights and name of finder for both Lethoso diamonds.  They were not lucky guesses, or 'first encountered' answers.  At the time, I was of the opinion that you were making the questions purposefully tricky.

Considering that we got BOTH of these questions correct, and that the EnAblers, to the best of my knowledge, got BOTH of these questions incorrect, I am not satisfied with striking both from the challenge.  As I said before, it's the judges final decision - and this is the last time I'll question it.

....but I'm very glad that we aren't taking the victory under these conditions.

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2007, 03:14:31 PM »
Gemelli, do you still have your cannon?  If so, just point it my way and BLAST AWAY.  :giveup:

Offline BigRed

« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2007, 03:29:49 PM »
I think DJ gave her answer! 
DBL's One and only Rose Gold Queen!!!!!

Offline diamondjunkie

« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2007, 03:43:56 PM »
Gemelli, I'm not trying to take anything away from you nor give the EnAblers anything unwarranted.  As it stands, the diamond dissipating question is just a mess - I am not a scientist and frankly don't have the first clue about when and under what conditions oxidisation will/won't occur.  This was supposed to be a fun challenge and we found what we thought was a fun question with a searchable answer.  Given the complexities that have been brought up, I really don't think it was a fair question to ask.  We are all here because we love diamonds and jewelry and I wouldn't expect any of our team members to delve so deeply into science based information given that the question leads you to the information WE found for our answer - regardless of who considers it right or wrong.  Frankly, I am still on the fence and so the question has been removed.  I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong on this because there is clearly misleading information out there and I refuse to get into a situation where I am cursed if I do and cursed if I don't.  It's gone.

The Lesotho question is the same - it was misleading given the information out there and I can't even begin to express how much I wish we'd posted something else instead.  I am not taking sides and I am not trying to be unfair.  Both questions are dubious, both questions have been removed.

Yes, the responsibility lies with myself so point the cannon my way instead.  I would be glad of the relief!   :angel11:

Offline BigRed

« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2007, 03:50:34 PM »
YAY EnAblers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for doing all you do DJ! This game has had a lot of twists and turns. I suspect this game has been a bit more then you thought it would be too! You and djm have done a great job! At least if there is ever an SDI 2 then there has been a lot of lessons learned. Now let's get this finished up and see who wins this bad boy! hehe I just want my consolation prize from David!  ;D 
DBL's One and only Rose Gold Queen!!!!!

Offline diamondjunkie

« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2007, 03:53:32 PM »
SDI2??  Er, no BR.  Not on my watch anyhoo!  I love all you guys but I want to go join everyone else at the spa right now.  Cocktails would suit me fine!