Author Topic: Need Cleaning Help!  (Read 20558 times)

Offline luvnjewelry

Re: Need Cleaning Help!
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2007, 09:02:44 AM »
What an awesome tip Rhonda!  I will have to give it a whirl since I am always cleaning my diamonds. 

What is this about a flower pendant necklace???  I wanna see, I wanna see!   Pics please? ;D

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2007, 09:24:31 AM »
Yee-Haw! I'm off to get some denure cleanser! My little pear side stones really make me MAD!  :tantrum2:

Offline DiamondLady

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2007, 09:37:43 AM »
What is this about a flower pendant necklace???  I wanna see, I wanna see!   Pics please? ;D

Ronda, I'm not sure you guys have ever seen it. Hmm.. I'll have to take some pics and post in the show off thread.
Nope, nuh-uh, it wasn't me, I swear it!

Offline luvnjewelry

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2007, 09:51:48 AM »
NO ....we haven't seen it!   I will keep my eyes peeled for you wonderful pics!

Offline shopperoo

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2007, 09:12:07 PM »
Hi,

This process makes my ring scream louder than it did when they first pulled it out of the jewelry display.

The long version (when you have time)-
1) Brush the stones front and back with an automatic toothbrush.
2) mix 3/4 alcohol and 1/4 glass cleaner (even the dollar store kind is fine. you can use just alcohol alone if you like)
3) add ring to a vibrating electric or battery operated jewelry cleaner to vibrate out all the debris that you could not get to with the brush. Clean for an hour or two.(for ornate/closed settings)
(4) rinse with hot water and allow to air dry on a clean towel (dont blow on it or use compressed air which will add particles).

The short version (only for open settings)
1) dunk in a capful of alcohol
2) scrub with electric toothbrush
3) rinse with hot tapwater
4) blot with towel and smile widely ;D

« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 09:34:18 PM by shopperoo »

Snooper

« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2007, 01:06:17 AM »
Yeah I've heard good things about alcohol!! I gotta try that!

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2007, 05:34:14 AM »
Ok, take a bottle of Tanquery gin and a bottle of schwepps tonic.
Pour the gin over ice and top with the tonic. Run a twist of lime round the top of the glass.

Oh. That wasn't what you meant, was it?

Sorry! ;D

In all seriousness, my granny used gin to clean her diamonds. Soak in a measure of gin for a couple of hours or overnight, give it a scrub with a toothbrush, rinse and it will certainly sparkle!
Jen

Customer Service Associate
jennifer@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2007, 09:26:01 AM »
Ok, for you NON-alcoholics, I've tried a couple of the teetotaler suggestions on my ER, and they are incredibly effective!

First, I remembered that we had a proxy dental brush here in the house.  So I soaked my ER for a few minutes in jewelry cleaner, brushed the outer surfaces of the diamonds with a little brush, then tried the proxy brush. I was able to get right through the metalwork on the ring and to the undersides of the diamonds. It worked great.  Although, I do try to be very careful about poking the brush through the openings in the ring because I'm afraid that I'll scratch the platinum with the metal spine of the brush.  But, those naughty little side pears get a VERY GOOD cleaning every time, and I CAN see a difference. 

Then, just for fun, I went and got some of the denture cleanser. I sprayed on the cleanser, scrubbed the same way with the little brush, then the undersides with the proxy brush, rinsed in water, then dunked and swished in jewelry cleaner, and rubbed the ring dry with a lintless cloth (I find if I rinse in water after the cleaner, I get water spots, so I dry right from the jewelry cleaner). I must say, the denture cleaner works GREAT!  My naughty pears look even MORE mirror-like.  And, even if you don't notice a significant difference, it is worth it for the minty fresh scent you'll wear on your hand! Also, I'm thinking the denture cleaner is easy to pack and use when traveling.

Now, you must realize that I've become so obsessed with clean jewelry that, if necessary, I'll clean my ER, which I do wear 24/7, several times on any one day.  *sigh* I may have to splurge on a Jewel Jet and an ionic cleaner.  :1087:

Offline luvnjewelry

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2007, 11:13:43 AM »
Pour the gin over ice and top with the tonic. Run a twist of lime round the top of the glass.

Sorry! ;D
 :laughing4:

As always you crack me up Jen! :laughing4: :patpat:

I just tried the Polident Foam denture cleanser.  It works wonders and my jewels smell minty fresh! ;D   Thanks for the tip Rhonda!! :icon_thumleft:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 11:15:57 AM by luvnjewelry »

Snooper

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2007, 04:13:20 PM »
I still gotta try the denture stuff!

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2007, 01:07:36 PM »
Ah, it does work. It also works on very elderly china that is too fragile for the dishwasher. Sink of hot water, two denture tablets, soak the plates and the glaze sparkles again.

See, I'm just a domestic goddess! If I stay away from the gin;D

Jen

Offline diamondjunkie

« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2008, 03:54:35 AM »
i have an idea for you....a dental proxy brush.  the are kind of like pipe cleaners for your teeth.  they are flexible and fuzzy and made for cleaning in between braces and teeth, they can fit into very tiny spaces.  you can find them at any drugstore for a few bucks.

Okay, I just had to say a big THANK YOU to Sanchica for this tip.  I finally got some little dental cleaners last week and they ROCK for getting into small places easily.  This is an absolutely BRILLIANT tip.  Thanks so much, Sanchica!

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2008, 09:23:51 AM »
DJ, for awhile, I used a proxy brush all the time, and still do on occasion.  It is about the only thing that can get into the "nooks and crannies," especially under those danged pear sidestones.  :tantrum: But, since the little brushes are made from twisted metal wire which comes to a rough point at the tip of the brush, I worried about the metal tip scratching jewelry metals as I poked it into small spaces of the jewelry (my aim is not perfect!). I try to be EXTRA careful with the proxy brush...

Offline Sanchica27

« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2008, 10:43:02 AM »
your welcome ladies!
always saving up for my next piece!

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2009, 03:32:26 PM »
I just discovered the best thing ever! A tiny little high pressure waterjet that you use to clean between teeth instead of flossing. I guess it's what the dental hygienist uses to remove scale. Anyway, it's prefect for cleaning between step cut stones in a 5 stone band.

It's very high pressure, so I wouldn't risk it on pave but it let me clean under the EC in my engagement ring and it did a fantastic job on my asscher cuts. Better than the ultrasonic, I think.

It's a technical development of the proxy brush, I suppose. Cost about 60, worth every penny. I'll try it out on my actual teeth at some point too...

Jen

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2009, 04:57:11 PM »

Sorry! ;D

In all seriousness, my granny used gin to clean her diamonds. Soak in a measure of gin for a couple of hours or overnight, give it a scrub with a toothbrush, rinse and it will certainly sparkle!
Jen

Oh, dear, that would never work in my house.  I'm afraid Mr. Stitch is a bit too fond of gin, himself.  I like it too, but don't stock it since I can't keep his nose out of my glass!  The only thing he like more is hot tea, with Earl Grey as his top pick. :5160
Auntie Dammit :Heart: DBL!

Offline Diamondluvr

« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2009, 04:34:24 PM »
Jen is it a water pic?

She has spent her life best... who has enjoyed it most.

Offline WM

• CDI Member
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2009, 09:10:55 PM »
DJ, for awhile, I used a proxy brush all the time, and still do on occasion.  It is about the only thing that can get into the "nooks and crannies," especially under those danged pear sidestones. 

Oh, I weep for you trinkette. (as she gets green with envy over pear side stones.) So worth it. Pears are worth it!

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2009, 12:30:06 PM »
Jen is it a water pic?

that's exactly what it is. Works a treat, makes a lovely job of my 5 stone band (and my teeth).

Jen

Offline Diamondluvr

« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2009, 03:43:53 PM »
Jen-those water pics are multi-purpose, that is what they also use to debride wounds---I know TMI, but all the uses made me chuckle!  Jewelry cleaner-Add another use to the list I guess :)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 03:44:22 PM by Diamondluvr »
She has spent her life best... who has enjoyed it most.

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2009, 10:52:07 AM »
Nice! ;D 
I just cleaned my friend's engagement ring for her using that and the US. She got engaged two years before I did, so she's been wearing that ring for 8 years.

Today was its first clean!

It's gorgeous. A lovely firey princess cut tension set in a thick, curvy yellow gold band with platinum bars set into it at each side of the stone. It looks fabulous now it's clean and I've been itching to clean it for a long time now!

Jen

Offline DBLrocks

« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2010, 02:08:03 AM »
There are some stuffs out there for cleaning jewelry. And, posting your picture here can also help us to suggest what you are going to do.

Offline lyleneil

« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2011, 03:15:50 AM »
First of all, pour some detergent into the water, and mix it till the mixture is full of lather. Remember, the warm water works best.You should remove fibers. To remove fibers or hairs stuck in your diamond ring you can use tweezers or other similar devices