Author Topic: Need Cleaning Help!  (Read 20444 times)

Offline MaryAlaina

• The Gratuitous Promise
Need Cleaning Help!
« on: August 08, 2007, 05:59:36 PM »
My 3 ct. yellow diamond ring has step cut half moon sides. The sidestones are really dirty (even though I to try avoid lotion, hairspray and things like that) and I don't know how to get them clean again. I've tried an ultrasonic cleaner, and Gemcare cleaner, and neither worked. I tried warm white vinegar, and that didn't work either. The setting makes it very difficult to have any brush bristles reach the underside of the stones. HOW do I get them clean???

Offline diamondjunkie

Re: Need Cleaning Help!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 06:00:36 PM »
Hi MA,

Can you post some pics of the setting - from the side and such?  It might help us figure this out for you.

Offline MaryAlaina

• The Gratuitous Promise
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 06:10:43 PM »
Sure:

I want the side stones to look like this again:

that was before it was set.

Snooper

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 07:03:29 PM »
Have you tried white vinegar? I gotta say I'm glad I'm not the only one w/ a fuzz in the dang prong.. now THAT too I'd like to know how to fix!!! GRrrrrrrrr

Offline luvnjewelry

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 07:13:01 PM »
I have the same problem with my pearshape sidestones......  It drives me nuts as I know that they can look as good as the day I received the ring!      Here is something that I think works really well.......scalding hot water with a touch of White Vinegar. Swish the ring around a bit in the solution and let it set overnight..........rinse it in really hot water as well.  Let it air dry if you have time.    Also,  get a cheap electric toothbrush with soft bristles and try scrubbing the underneath of the ring with it.    It sure makes a difference........if you can take the time to do so!!  Hope that helps! :)

Offline MaryAlaina

• The Gratuitous Promise
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 08:22:42 PM »
I've tried all these things. My center yellow stone looks FABULOUS! But the sidestones don't look any better. The little gap to reach under the stones is so small and the angle it is at really makes getting any brush in there impossible.

Offline Sanchica27

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 08:38:31 PM »
i have an idea for you....a dental proxy brush.  the are kind of like pipe cleaners for your teeth.  they are flexible and fuzzy and made for cleaning in between braces and teeth, they can fit into very tiny spaces.  you can find them at any drugstore for a few bucks.
always saving up for my next piece!

Offline CaratHead

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 08:54:21 PM »
That is when I take it to the jeweler down the street and ask him to clean it!!  Their steamers are WAY stronger...and they can do the acid thing too.  It is risky, however, you might see something you like!!

So many ballgames, so little time...

Offline MaryAlaina

• The Gratuitous Promise
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 09:19:23 PM »
i have an idea for you....a dental proxy brush.  the are kind of like pipe cleaners for your teeth.  they are flexible and fuzzy and made for cleaning in between braces and teeth, they can fit into very tiny spaces.  you can find them at any drugstore for a few bucks.

Oh, I like that idea! I'm going to have to get one of those tomorrow. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll have to go to the jewelers and have them try.

Offline WM

• CDI Member
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 06:51:43 PM »
A brush is the only way. The one Sanchia posted should work.

Offline annie1

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 09:06:40 PM »
Nice idea Sanchica!  I don't usually have much trouble getting my ring clean, but that brush looks like it will do an even better job. 
:duckie:  Annie  :duckie:
DBL Technical assistant, CDI Moderator
Check out DBL's new items!

Offline MaryAlaina

• The Gratuitous Promise
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2007, 09:52:16 PM »
I got that little brush and it did help some, but it still needs help. I guess I'll have to take it in to a local jeweler.

Offline evilmailjeep

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2007, 11:43:30 PM »
MA, Just for kicks, have you tried a denture tablet?

Offline Sanchica27

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2007, 08:14:14 AM »
lol...looks like we have a new trend going on here...

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2007, 10:33:16 AM »
I use denture tablets occasionally, in my US - only for diamond and plat, nothing with white gold or softer stones. Seems to work. Also, DJ's tip of keeping the water really hot and using a little liquid laundry detergent seems to bring them up nicely. (DH used it for doing actual laundry, which was a bit annoying, still..)

If you're really obsessive (I am) you can dry them with a hair dryer or a tin of compressed air, to avoid watermarks on the step cuts. I do that with my EC. Tin of air was found in a computer hardware shop - they use them for something to do with computer kit, apparently!

Good luck.

Jen
Customer Service Associate
jennifer@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline Awestruck

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2007, 11:29:18 AM »
I recently discovered ( entirely by accident ) that the antibacterial hand gel you see in hospitals is great for cleaning diamonds. I`d to deal with a messy situation at work so decided to literally smother my hands in the stuff and forgot I had my diamond heart ring on.
Afterwards I was panic stricken thinking the gel ( which contains medical alchohol ) had damaged my ring because it was smothered in it. A quick dash to the nearest sink and I rinsed my ring under the hot tap and then polished it with a cloth.
The gel had gotten into every nook and crevice of it but amazingly it simply glittered after it`s unorthodox dunking and looked amazing !
Diamonds are like people, put them under a microscope and you`ll always see a flaw but hold them up to the Sun and each and every one is beautiful.

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2007, 12:53:53 PM »
Useful tip! I can just imagine your inital panic, though.  ;D 

Poor you!

Jen
Customer Service Associate
jennifer@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline diamondjunkie

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2007, 03:57:25 PM »

I am definitely going looking for one of these!  Great tip - thanks Sanchica!

Offline Sanchica27

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2007, 12:45:53 AM »
no prob, they are great for any tiny space that may need to be cleaned.  i work in a bridal registry and we use them to polish intricate pieces of sterling all the time!

Offline Patsmom

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2007, 07:30:28 PM »
Hi MA,

Have you tried using a home steam cleaner.  I have the Jewel Jet and I absolutely love it.  It works just like at the jewelers when they steam clean my rings.  It is amazing how dirty they are even when we think they are clean.  I usually soak my things in the Gemoro Sparkle Spa and then use the Jewel Jet and they look like they just came out of the showcase. 

Sharon

Offline kleinkath

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2007, 11:53:25 AM »
I tried the little brush on my yellow cushion and it did help!  I always had a bit of a haze under it because the setting is closed under it.  It is much brighter :)  Great tip! 
:cat: KK :cat:

Offline Sanchica27

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2007, 12:04:15 PM »
yay!  i first came in contact with it when all of my friends had braces, i figured if it could fit into those things it could fit into a setting, im glad it worked!

Offline DiamondLady

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2007, 11:21:38 PM »
Hey folks, I just had to come to this thread to rave about a "new" cleaner I have been using on my sparklies..... and it's GREAT stuff!!

I was really, really surprised at how my diamonds SHINED after this! This now replaces all my other cleaning methods.  :Banane13:

I even tried it on my diamond flower necklace (which I never take off) and typically gets all kinds of hair spray and face powder on it. It gets really icky after a while. One time in this cleaner and using a gentle scrub with a baby toothbrush, and OMG, it looks brand new!

POLIDENT FRESH CLEANSE FOAMING DENTURE CLEANER!

Works GREAT I'm tellin' ya! Um, and smells good too! lol
Nope, nuh-uh, it wasn't me, I swear it!

Snooper

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2007, 11:39:01 PM »
Awesome! You know, come to think of it? That make sense to use that!! I'll have to track that down. 

I bet it helps getting into the tiny nooks and crannies of a setting huh?

Offline DiamondLady

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2007, 12:51:26 AM »
Well, it certainly worked wonders on my stuff!!

And yes, I think it does get into the really tiny spaces with those "micro" whatevers that are in there that are made to remove the smallest of particles and microbes that can get "attached" to the plastic dentures.  It is a light airy foam (not thick and gooey at all), and I love the clean scent. lol  You'll have to give it a try.  I think it costs $4 a can and is about 4" tall.
Nope, nuh-uh, it wasn't me, I swear it!