Author Topic: CONTEST! Guess finished weight of 5.28 rough diamond Prize? $500 Stud earrings.  (Read 35848 times)

Offline zel30

MY GUESS #1

2.30 ct
cusion cut
light yellow

stci

MY GUESS #1

3.16 ct
radiant cut
intense yellow

Offline diamondjunkie

Hi everyone!  This is my first time on this website thanks to DiamondJunkie!  My guesstimate on the rough would be:  3.14 Carats
                                                           Pear shape
                                                           Fancy Yellow
Now I am hoping that I have "beginners luck!", although good luck to all!

So fantastic to see you here loveglitz!  Everyone, we had the pleasure of meeting a few days ago and it was scary (and wonderful!) to discover how similar we are!  A true diamond sister indeed!  Welcome to the forum and good luck in the contest - I know you are going to feel very at home here!   :friends:  I am so thrilled that you joined!   :ura1:

Offline luvnjewelry

Yes,... another diamond sister!  The more the merrier!  WELCOME!.....and good luck!

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
HI Everyone,
I just remembered what I forgot (?)

Good Luck Everybody!!!!!

Hi loveglitz- any friend of DJ's is like family around here!
Please, take your shoes off, set a while.
May we offer you a coffee, tea, or a cool drink?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 04:50:20 PM by Diamondsbylauren »
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline annie1

• Administrator
loveglitz - I second what David said!

If you're a friend of DJ, you've just made yourself about 100 new and instant friends here.  :)

I hope you stick around and have some fun with us!
:duckie:  Annie  :duckie:
DBL Technical assistant, CDI Moderator
Check out DBL's new items!

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
Mrs Mitchell Guess No 1:
1.98ct radiant cut, M colour.

Jen
Customer Service Associate
jennifer@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
HI ALL!

Here's some more info about this rough- and diamond cutting in general......

I can't emphasize the importance of waste- or lack of it in planning the diamond.

Think about this- we go thru a lot of effort to mine this thing, then simply grind away a part of it?
You definitely want the portion you grind ( cut) off to be the smallest possible.

Like Polished diamonds, Rough diamonds are sorted into different categories.
Of course size is the first factor taken into account. The large  pieces are quite rare.

Another characteristic by which rough stones are sorted has to do with how they'll be cut.
In many cases the rough is octagonal, like this one
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUVRV_GUdR8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUVRV_GUdR8</a>

The diamond in the youtube above was be sewn ( sawed)  into two pieces, which will then each became their own diamond.....

Here's a diagram of an octagon which explains what I'm talking about:

Below I've marked where they might  cut the diamond, with a very special saw- can you see how sawing off the top part gives you a piece which already has the profile of a diamond-

A lot of the light yellows we get are actually top pieces after polishing.

Anyway, such rough diamonds are known as "Saw-ables"

The subject of our contest is known as a "Make-able"

With "Make-able" rough, you put it right on the cutting wheel.
It makes the most sense to polish it into one diamond. AS the 5.28carat one will be.
David

Offline luvnjewelry

David I am sensing after reading that post that we are all way below on our guess?  hint hint............   Maybe now would be a good time to do our second guesses...........   hMMM   ,   I will ponder for a bit, or at least a few more clues.  :)

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
AS the diamond is cut., and we have a better idea of when the diamond ( and contest) will be finished, we will give you guys ample notice. We'll also let you know when we give the last clue.
For us running the contest, it makes it more fun too- and it allows us to add to the knowledge base as we go along.

Hi Guys,
Of course it's  contest- and anyone is free to frame their entries as they wish...but if it were me.....
I'd wait till right near the very end for my second guess- this way you could use any and all the clues.

David

Offline WM

• CDI Member
Hey D, do we have any idea when the diamond will be cut? You will tell us, right. Not that you'll tell us details but you'll let us know it's "under the knife". I don't know why this is important to me but I'm so curious how long they hold onto rough before they go for it.

What I mean is this: Is it in a drawer waiting its turn? Or are they spending days or weeks plotting the cutting procedure to get the best product out of the rough?

Offline Innerkitten

I'm going to guess 1.19 as my first guess and go a little higher with a 2.09

As far as shapes I'm thinking cushion or pear.

Offline Innerkitten

did I miss something I need to go back and read the other posts!

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
Hey D, do we have any idea when the diamond will be cut? You will tell us, right. Not that you'll tell us details but you'll let us know it's "under the knife". I don't know why this is important to me but I'm so curious how long they hold onto rough before they go for it.

What I mean is this: Is it in a drawer waiting its turn? Or are they spending days or weeks plotting the cutting procedure to get the best product out of the rough?

Hi Everyone- we anticipate the cutting to take about one month.

As diamonds are the hardest natural substance cutting ( polishing) can take quite a long time.
Sometimes a facet is easy- other times a single facet can take up a few days of the cutter's attention. When I say " a few days of his attention"- it might take that long to smooth that particular facet- but during this time, the cutter might have 2 ( or more) other stones on the wheel ( sometimes two diamonds can polished on the same wheel)
David

Offline Spoon1002

For my first guess:

- 2.75 carats
 - X in color
 - Oval cut

Offline Diamondluvr

My first guess:

Final Weight: 3.97ct
Cut:  Pear Shape
Color:  FLY

She has spent her life best... who has enjoyed it most.

Offline BigRed

My first guess is:

weight: 3.93
cut: pear
color: Fancy light yellow
DBL's One and only Rose Gold Queen!!!!!

Offline FatCat

Guess One:

2.73 Carats
Cushion Cut
X-Y Color

Offline artsycarly13

Hi all, I'm new here, but not new to Diamonds by Lauren. I've been admiring them on ebay for about 4 years now.  Anyway, I thought I'd try the contest and maybe I'll actually get to own some of their b-e-a-u-tiful diamonds.  Ya never know, right.  I hope I posted this right.

My first guess is:
2.64 carat
Marquise cut
Light fancy yellow

Good luck all :D

Offline annie1

• Administrator
You posted it perfectly!  Thanks for joining in, and I hope you stick around and chat with us!
:duckie:  Annie  :duckie:
DBL Technical assistant, CDI Moderator
Check out DBL's new items!

Offline diamondjunkie

Hi artsycarly13!  Welcome to CDI!   :hello:  Please dive into the threads and have fun!

Offline Pandora II

First message - couldn't resist. I love yellow :love7:

Weight: 2.72ct
 Shape: Pear
 Colour: Light Yellow

Offline artsycarly13

Thanks for welcoming me to the forum.  I'm kinda new to the forum thing :dontknow:, so please bear with me. 

Offline djm195

• Member Moderator
  • Man, do I have to do everything around here?
Welcome artscarly13-- Can't think of a better place to start...go ahead and get your feet wet--

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
Thanks for welcoming me to the forum.  I'm kinda new to the forum thing :dontknow:, so please bear with me. 

Hi Artsycarly,
We love to show people how it works......
Please click here for a proper welcome!
David