Author Topic: Why are K and lower diamonds with high clarity hard to find?  (Read 15988 times)

Offline diamondkrazy

I love warmer colors and would love to find an asscher cut around .8-.99 with an IF clarity but have yet to find one but the there seems to be an abundance of  icy white asschers with a high clarity.

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
Re: Why are K and lower diamonds with high clarity hard to find?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 03:32:18 PM »
Hi,
We do run across some very high clarity Asscher- or square Emerald Cut- diamonds in lower color ranges.
Wiating for an IF might mean a long wait- or not.
Then finding an IF- if the cut is not there- it's really not a great stone to own!

We have a 1.04

ITEM #: R1854
 Diamond Ring

WEIGHT: 1.04ct
  SHAPE: Asscher Cut
  COLOR: K
  CLARITY: VS1
  MEASUREMENTS: 5.64 x 5.64 x 3.71 mm
  TOTAL DEPTH: 65.8%
  TABLE SIZE: 65%
  POLISH: VG
  SYMMETRY: G
  FLUORESCENCE: NONE
  GIA REPORT #: 15717680

It's being set now....

We've also got a 1.67 K/VVS1- the higher clarity stones of warmer colors certainly exist!
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline Sanchica27

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 04:14:06 PM »
i recently bought a 1.06 asscher VS1 with L color and i love it! the warmer color does not detract from its beauty at all!

there are plenty of pics in the "show off your jewels" section!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 04:15:34 PM by Sanchica27 »
always saving up for my next piece!

Offline robin

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 04:17:52 PM »
My halo ring is a 1.58 L/VVS1 Asscher, and it's truly lovely!  So they're out there.

--Robin

Offline WM

• CDI Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 04:59:03 PM »
Welcome to the forum diamondkrazy. Love the screen name.

Offline diamondjunkie

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 05:42:06 PM »
A big welcome to CDI diamondkrazy - lovely to have you here!   :hello:

Offline Michi

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 07:03:29 PM »
Welcome to CDI, Diamondkrazy!  I have a 1.08 L/VVS2 asscher.  David has had several in the past few months.  I really felt like I got a terrific deal on mine and you can't beat that!!   :D
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 07:04:03 PM by Michi »

Offline acebruin

• My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 07:57:02 PM »
welcome to cdi!  i think warmer color high clarity diamonds are out there...  just have to wait for the right one...

Offline diamondkrazy

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 11:19:01 PM »
Thanks for all of the welcomes. I love the warmer color diamonds and DBL seems to have the most variety, I saw a O-P VVS1 pear on ebay not to long ago, so I'm sure DBL will have a high clarity warmer color asscher in no time. I have a 1.02 W-X IF radiant diamond, it's an unusual color/clarity combo and would love to get a asscher that has a "candle light white" look.

Offline MaryAlaina

• The Gratuitous Promise
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 12:07:18 AM »
I have a 1.77ct. I color IF asscher. They are out there!

Offline BigRed

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2007, 11:10:27 AM »
HI Diamondkrazy!  :hello:  Why don't you introduce yourself and tell us all about some of the pieces you do have in the Greet New Members section! So far you have started some really good threads with some really good questions!
DBL's One and only Rose Gold Queen!!!!!

Offline NolaD

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 09:27:31 AM »
I believe that most diamonds with color much lower than K are not considered diamond grade, and therefore don't make it onto the market. They are instead used for industrial purposes.

Online oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2010, 09:37:40 AM »
Nola, why post on a three year old thread? And to say something as wrong as that, moreover? At the moment, on DBL's website roughly one diamond in 3 for sale is a diamond below K (excluding fancy colours), but definitely a gem.

The reason why most diamonds are not considered gem grade ("diamond grade"is a meaningless expression - they are diamonds) is to do with clarity/level of inclusion, not colour. While it is true that stones below (above?) K are showing tint in most conditions and are generally cheaper than whiter diamonds, that does not mean they are not beautifful!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 09:39:14 AM by oldmancoyote »

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2010, 03:56:41 PM »
What Nola is doing is repeating a disingenuous statement made by many a shifty seller.
A shopper asks for a 2 carat diamond- the response, "Oh those start at $25,000 for  an HVS2"
Shopper- "But I only have $10,000 to spend- what about K color"

Store- "Oh, those are junky diamonds"

It truly a shame that people repeat these untruthful statements......
Thankfully, when it's done here, we can do something about it.
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline Sniven

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2010, 10:41:47 PM »
Nola, why post on a three year old thread? And to say something as wrong as that, moreover? At the moment, on DBL's website roughly one diamond in 3 for sale is a diamond below K (excluding fancy colours), but definitely a gem.

The reason why most diamonds are not considered gem grade ("diamond grade"is a meaningless expression - they are diamonds) is to do with clarity/level of inclusion, not colour. While it is true that stones below (above?) K are showing tint in most conditions and are generally cheaper than whiter diamonds, that does not mean they are not beautifful!

Just to be clear...an L IF Ideal is NOT industrial grade?

Offline Awestruck

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2010, 07:09:43 AM »
Hi Nola and welcome.
When I first joined CDI I did exactly the same and posted on an outdated thread. Don`t worry about it and it`s always nice to have subjects resurrected now and again and to take what people believe to be diamond facts and then show people they aren`t facts at all, they are just statements We do it in a nice way of course. It`s what we do well !
So grab a chair, sit down, relax and join in. I`m sure you`ve browsed other threads too and you`ll have seen many people`s diamond dreams come true here on CDI. If it weren`t for blowing what many people presume to be hard and fast rules about diamonds out of the water then many of those dreams could not have come true.
Lots of folks believe lots of things because they`re told they`re facts. Not so.
Take the belief that hearts and arrows is the only cut to own, take the belief that anything less than VVS clarity isn`t worth having, take the belief that anything less than a K colour isn`t beautiful and we`ll prove it wrong and in doing so we`ll open up people`s minds.
Here at CDI we`re lucky to have David who runs a small family business and who picks every single diamond himself. He looks through parcels and parcels of stones, something which larger companies either can`t or won`t do and by doing this David`s able to find us those hidden gems ( pardon the pun ) and the diamonds which might break all the rules on paper but which once bought and set, show the supposed rules to be rubbish.
Of course David doesn`t do it all alone, there`s a lot of swapping ideas amongst us, people have some wonderful visions and we all love seeing each other`s dreams come true. We all learn a lot too and none of us are ever tired of learning more or sharing what we`ve learned with others.
Set a brownish pinkish diamond in pink gold and she`ll sing like a candyfloss, take a warmer coloured diamond and set her in a white gold halo and she`ll resemble snow white, take an I1 and put her into a ring and be blowed you can barely see the inclusion. Diamonds are like people, many of us have what other folks consider to be flaws but dammit most of us are still beautiful.
Without bending what a lot of companies say are diamond facts and proving they are just diamond statements, many people would never afford their dreams. Afterall when you`re wearing a piece of jewellery people exclaim WOW at what they see and yet on paper the piece they say WOW at, might break every fact they think they know.
I took a ring to a local jeweller to be sized and the centre stone is an L colour. When I went to collect it the jeweller told me he thought the ring was stunning , especially the centre stone which is an L coloured heart shape. When I told him it was an L he refused to believe it. If I`ve learned nothing else on here, the one thing I have learned is to trust my own judgement and my own eyes. Folks have nothing to lose, keep an open mind, judge by what you see on here, not by what you`ve been told and always be prepared to learn more and at times be proven wrong. If we`re all honest, before we joined CDI I bet each and every one of us had preconceived ideas of what we thought was " good " diamond. I for one am happy to say I had it wrong and I`ve since learned otherwise. So enjoy and don`t be afraid of asking questions or helping us to help you to look beyond the boundaries.
Lynne
Diamonds are like people, put them under a microscope and you`ll always see a flaw but hold them up to the Sun and each and every one is beautiful.

Online oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2010, 11:14:11 AM »
Just to be clear...an L IF Ideal is NOT industrial grade?

It's jewellery industry industrial grade. Like a D/VVS1 or a Y-Z/SI2. ;D

Offline Catia

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2011, 03:57:51 PM »
Ok, I *did* consider greating a new topic thread, since this one is old--*but* since it is the exact same subject, I thought it might be better to post here, so those in the future can find the same questions under the same topic in the same thread LOL--ease of use.

So--all of you ladies, and gentlemen--who have *low color* high clarity stones, I'd like to hear your opinions & see your rocks.

For whatever reason (inborn genetic defect, psychiatric anomoly, or just plain genius who knows)---I just seem to be drawn to the "lower" colors.

Maybe it *does* have something to do with the extreme cost difference between say a D/VS stone versus a J/IF stone, but not as much as I had originally thought.

Seems every time I view a stone I *feel* is prettier than another, it is the one with a lower color. Sometimes the colorless feel more flat or cold, I don't know.
Maybe it's because I am seeing 99% of the stones online & not in person, so I will be vieweing a few stone in real life probably in the next couple of weeks.
But not before I have some more reading under my belt.

I have viewed many of the photos here, not all list the color. So I am asking for some more info here on this thread, pics with color listed, & clarity too.

Also, I want ruby in my setting, & it will be platinum or WG-more a deco type of style, so am curious how those colors will play off a 'lower' color diamond--say J thru L.

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2011, 04:32:04 PM »
I do not see anything wrong with wanting a lower color diamond at all.  We all have preferences.  Mine personally fall in the G and above and L and below range.  Not that H-K are bad, I just usually want more warmth personally.  If you love it, you should buy it!

My ring in my avatar is "only" a Y-Z in color.  I say it like that because it is very obviously yellow, but it isn't a fancy color.  I'm not sure people realize how yellow these lower colors can be. 

So while I only own one low color diamond (SI1 clarity but totally eye clean) I can say with out a doubt, if you love a stone's color or hue or whatever, buy it!  If your favorite is a J/IF then go for it.  The best thing in this world is that we have different tastes and we all have options.  David is particularly good at finding diamonds in all shades to satisfy everyone!

From my experience a lot of more vintage rings did use lower colors (K through O-P in particular from what I have seen) so finding a nice "ivory" diamond would be perfect against a vintage-y ruby setting.

Check out these rings.  Both are lower colored diamonds next to rubies.  Not the style but it can show you the color.

http://rockdiamond.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-diamond206ct-emerald-cut-diamond-with-a-beautiful-warm-color
http://rockdiamond.com/index.php/jewelry/three-stone-ring-202-emerald-cut-diamond-with-natural-rubies-in-platinum
Elaine aka Squiggly
elaine@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline Sanchica27

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2011, 04:35:26 PM »
My ER from David is a L color VS1 asscher.  I love it.  It is not noticeably yellow to me at all, even though it is surrounded by a high color diamond halo.  I only really notice the tint in very bright sunlight and even then, I don't mind it.  I am also drawn to the lower color range, you sure do get more stone for your dollar!
always saving up for my next piece!

Offline lovecolor

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2011, 05:23:08 PM »
Catia, I've newly began appreciating the colors of the ivory diamonds, specifically  L-M-N grading.  I use to be caught up with the general standard for "excellent" diamonds being the top colors of D-E-F .  I never gave these other grades a chance quite frankly.  Since I've been on DBL and CDI, I've seen such wonderful looking stones and love them for their own "perfect" coloring.  For me, it's not about comparing the colorless and near colorless grades of D-E-F and G-H-I...to the lower colors, but to find beauty in all the shades, beauty in all the grades...as long as they are sparkly or fiery and fine eye clarity is what impresses me more now.   I am presently longing for an ivory colored L-M-N graded diamond to place in a rose gold, pink diamond halo, something like R1321, but in a Asscher or Radiant stone... :drunken_smilie:   

Offline firegypsy

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2011, 07:30:09 PM »
I have an M in a platinum bezel that is set in 18k rose gold from DBL.  I could not love this stone any more than I do.  I used to have an H that was just over a carat, but this one knocks my socks off.  I find that I'm a firm J, K, L, M, N gal.  I prefer ivory to white.  I love love love though that the M diamond is framed by high colored stones!  (I'd have to look-shame on me-but I think they're E-F colored.)

Mine is not high clarity.  I lucked out and got a lower clarity stone that has no visible inclusions with the naked eye-none that I can see at all!  It's perfectly wonderful and I adore it!  I've never gotten a great photo but here's something.  I have to build a light box or something. 

Offline Hamish11

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2014, 05:37:38 PM »
I have to say that as we deal diamond we never go below G colour in Fancy cuts and I for rounds, but what Diamondsbylauren do with lower coloured fancy cut diamonds has intrigued me so much I made it to this forum here. I do like that warm buttery look that the stones have on the website DBL. In some photos the same diamond  looks whiter and others they look yellow , this is lighting no doubt, so should the yellower colour be a truer representation of the actual colour ?
I haven't seen too many Cushion cuts or old mine cuts in low colour but they look good on the website and its pure genius.

Online oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2014, 06:52:02 AM »
Hi Hamish, welcome!

What David does with the photos is to try to show as many real-life "looks" of the diamond as possible depending on lighting, environment and sometimes fluorescence. 

If for "actual colour" you mean what GIA would see through the side against a neutral grey background using diffused calibrated light, then probably it's not-quite-the-yellowest in most images, but pretty close (and best represented by a master stone in the equivalent colour)