Author Topic: Have you ever felt "unimportant" in a jewelry store?  (Read 43645 times)

Offline Gemelli

• Scurvy Dog
Re: Have you ever felt "unimportant" in a jewelry store?
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2007, 06:19:23 PM »
I remember when I was a bank teller,  people with the most $$ in there account lived and dressed like they were just very "down" to earth people.    Those who were continually paying overdraft fees wore the designer purses, clothing, shoes...you name it............yet they had no money!! 

Heh, people forget that there are two things involved in how much money is in your account:  How much you make, and how little you spend.
Every single soul is poem written on the back of God's hand

Snooper

« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2007, 09:20:41 PM »
Section 8 housing tenants do work, but it kills me when I see them with 7 kids and yes, driving nice cars to boot... *tries to remain calm*

Offline luvnjewelry

« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2007, 09:17:53 AM »
I did not meant to come across as judgemental.   I know that there are programs out there to help people, and I agree that we need those programs to help those people to get on there feet.     My husband and his brothers owned several buildings that they rented out to those that qualified for sect. 8 housing.   Each and everyone of the tenants never paid there rent on  time, left the room in diplorable conditions,  you name it!   My husband and his brothers were constantly battling with these tenants,taking them to court, replacing damaged carpet, fixtures, etc.  They were the type of Landlords that worked hard outside of there day jobs to try to make there tenants life a bit easier. 
        Finally, they had enough of the battle and sold the buildings.  It became way too much for them to "hold" the hands of those who can't (and don't want to!) take care of themselves.    :-\

Offline evilmailjeep

« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2007, 09:26:16 AM »
Didn't mean to sound critical, I was merely reporting that the folks I ran into had the same complaint about their neighbors... as in  "I'm working my butt off at a crappy job, driving an old car, and trying to get out of here, when these idiots waltz in here with brand new cars and think they own the place...they should be booted out and give someone with sense a chance"
In fact, that was the rant I overheard as someone pulled up in a Caddy.

Offline luvnjewelry

« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2007, 09:49:26 AM »
EMJ...I am right along with you and those who are really trying to make a go of it!   I see nothing wrong with having nice things, after all,  this is a diamond forum ;D but I think people get caught up in the "hand outs" all too often!   ???

Snooper

« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2007, 12:24:03 PM »
Yup, I'm in total agreement with you two EMJ and Ronda.  Trust me, I'm trying to be very "fair" in this post.... Believe me... I'm sure Ronda knows what's going in my mind :)

FoxyandSexy

« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2007, 01:14:25 PM »
it just goes to show that you should never judge a book by it's cover.   I remember when I was a bank teller,  people with the most $$ in there account lived and dressed like they were just very "down" to earth people.    Those who were continually paying overdraft fees wore the designer purses, clothing, shoes...you name it............yet they had no money!!      :-\

Well said Ronda. Too many people try and "keep up with the Joneses".

Funny story Big Red.....and I'm sure that was a lesson learned for those employees!

I've never been treated badly in a store. If I detect the slightest bit of "snootiness" I just keep on walking!!

:Heart: Amy

Offline diamondjunkie

« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2007, 04:58:12 PM »
I found the tables turned the other day.  We had a "Spring Bazaar" here last weekend and DH and I decided to go check it out.  One of the stalls had lots of jewelry so, naturally, I was all over it.  Anyway, the lady starts giving me the spin about how they are "the best CZs you can by" and that they were all cut to the same precision as diamonds.  Everything was set in 18kt white and yellow gold - and let me tell you, it wasn't cheap!  I'm nodding along with her just thinking how many companies use that "best CZ" spiel.

Anyway, she noticed my ER and says, "That's a lovely stone!  What is it?"  Well, I couldn't help myself: "That?!  Oh that's a yellow diamond."  Her eyes got real big.  Then I held up my right hand.  "And this is a brown one."  At that point, I could see in her face that she realized she wasn't going to sell me that $1500 CZ bracelet (no I ain't kidding about that price)!  Her hubby was like, "Oh.  That's a nice ring.  It's kinda like this one that we have........" at which point I smiled at him sympathetically, all the while thinking, 'Er, no.  It's not.'

Offline Sanchica27

« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2007, 05:04:51 PM »
awesome story!  i love it!
always saving up for my next piece!

Offline acebruin

• My Gallery
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2007, 05:51:15 PM »
lol DJ...  1500 CZ bracelet?????  LOL  ;D  did you tell her you have more CZ stuff at home that you'll sell to her for 30% off her price?  LMAO

Snooper

« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2007, 08:51:38 PM »
Dang! That is crazy!!! For CZ?!?!  :DropGob:  I would have loved to been there with you Denise when you got that whole story about CZ and to see their face when they saw your YELLOW DIAMOND and BROWN NATURAL DIAMOND!!!  >:D

Offline Sanchica27

« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2007, 11:45:38 PM »
that reminds me of moissanite, why would anyone spend that much money on something that is not even a diamond?

Offline diamondjunkie

« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2007, 01:26:14 PM »
$1500 USD - it was just under 1200 Euros.  Insane.  I was looking at that and thinking, "If I had $1500 bucks burning a hole in my pocket, I'd be calling David for diamonds!"  Let's see, I could buy a CZ bracelet or one of these little darlings, for example.  Gee.  That's a tough one............... ;D

Oh, and I'd even come home with a chunk of change from the circle pendant - NICE!   :D

Snooper

« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2007, 02:33:46 PM »
Well put DJ! That's just crazy! I keep thinking of your story about the CZ and it's just over all sad... I'd much rather have a diamond than CZ!!! Call us crazy

Offline BigRed

« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2007, 06:27:16 PM »
I can't get over that ridiculous price, what the heck were they set in? Platinum?
DBL's One and only Rose Gold Queen!!!!!

Offline luvnjewelry

« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2007, 08:23:47 PM »
YOu would think that once the salesperson saw that you had the "real deal" they would have backed down on trying to show you a piece that was nothing compared to yours!!!     I don't have anything against CZ by any means...........but when it is at such a ridiculous price, that is when I have a problem with it!! >:(

Offline tea

« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2007, 02:06:22 AM »
Great stories! Glad to know I'm not alone! I have gone in to jewelry and clothing stores that completely ignore me. I can be walking around while hula dancing and I still wouldn't get their attention. That was one of the reasons we bought my WR from Tiffany. They were one of the very very few who was very nice and courteous to us. It was located in a very affluent area with lots of stay at home moms. You often see them with their strollers and gigantic bling.
I'm soooooooooo glad I found David. Don't have to be subjected to that anymore!
:willwork:

Offline diamondjunkie

« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2007, 03:51:16 AM »
Yes I agree tea!  The wonderful thing about David is you can wear your PJs to call him up and it just doesn't matter!  It also doesn't matter if you are buying a $200 pair of earrings or a $20,000 ring, he'll still make you feel special - because you are to him!

Offline Sanchica27

« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2007, 06:09:10 AM »
i second that!

Madora

« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2007, 09:55:23 PM »
Yes I agree tea!  The wonderful thing about David is you can wear your PJs to call him up and it just doesn't matter!  It also doesn't matter if you are buying a $200 pair of earrings or a $20,000 ring, he'll still make you feel special - because you are to him!

That's awesome!!!  That is a great reflection on DBL.  Helps those of us who have never made that first purchase to feel more confident with it!...Thank you!!

Offline RedRaider

« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2007, 10:46:08 PM »
When my husband and I were in Chicago this past holiday season, we were snubbed at two, not one, high quality jewelry stores -- Tiffany's and Cartier. 

Yes, it was a busy time of the year, and there were lots of people in each store; so, we just browsed in each one, and we decided to come back early the next morning before the crowds rushed them.  We walked around the Tiffany's on Michigan Avenue for 30+ minutes before we walked out in frustration.  There were at least two sales associates standing around ignoring us. 

So, we decided to go down the street to Cartier (the store in Dallas has always been the best on customer service!), and we were treated the same way!  There was one other person in the store, and there were four sales associates.  We walked out of there when another customer walked in, and the sales people jumped to greet him and to offer him something to drink.  We hadn't even received a hello!

We were infuriated at being treated like second-class citizens.  When we got home, I wrote to each company explaining the situation.  Tiffany's manager called one evening apologizing profusely and invited us to come in at any time, and she would personally show us anything.

It's been 7 months, and I'm still waiting to hear from Cartier....

However, these are not normal circumstances with Cartier or Tiffany's.  We have been in the Cartier in Dallas often, and we have always been treated as if we were the only customer there.  The same with Tiffany's.

It's funny, because we went into Graff's store in Chicago dressed the same way, and we were treated nicely there. 

~RedRaider
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 07:46:20 PM by RedRaider »
~RedRaider~

"What a school thinks about its library is a measure of what it thinks about education."  Harold Howe, former U.S. Commissioner of Education

Offline diamondjunkie

« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2007, 10:53:06 AM »
Man I hate that redraider - gets my back up every time.  They should treat everyone who wanders into their store like gold given the prices they charge for the name.  And for Cartier not to reply is like another smack in the face - I'd strike them off my list of places to ever buy from for that.

Offline stacy

« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2007, 07:09:50 PM »
This happened to me kinda recently. I went into Cartier in Amsterdam, and I was going to buy a trinity ring. The saleswoman looked at me like I had antlers, then proceeded to wait on an older woman who looked wealthy who came in after me.   >:(

Needless to say, I didn't by that ring. I waited til I got to Berlin and bought a badarse  silver ring by a designer named Patrik Muff. I saved quite a bit of money too!

Offline blameitonblue

« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2007, 03:06:32 PM »
What I have found is that I've been treated more like a second class citizen in the mall rat stores than I have in our high end store, Tivol, in Kansas City.  I remember when I was in med school and didn't have a dime to my name, I used to love to go into Tivol to browse, as the people were always extremely nice and would even bring in the giant pieces out of the window that were $100 K plus to try on, without me even asking.  I would just go in, look at some pieces, ask a lot of questions, and next thing I knew I'd be trying on gigantic canary pieces worth a boat load!  One was even still hot from being in the sunny window!!  The chain mall stores, on the other hand, are the ones that make you feel like you're not worth waiting on. 

Offline Geena1

« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2007, 10:30:59 PM »
Usually, I'm treated nicely, but at times I haven't been.  One thing I've noticed about getting older (age 51, and I have a lot of grey hair) is that people seem to treat me with more respect than they used to.

The worst 'jewelry experience' I've ever had was at a booth in one of the jewelry exchanges on NY's 47th St. last year (My grey-haired look didn't work in this case!)  A vendor, who looked like he was starting to put away his things, looked annoyed when I asked him the price of a big vintage gold and amethyst bracelet.  He snarled, "It's $1000 and I bet you don't even have that amount in your bank account." I was stunned speechless, and walked away.  (I look very casual, kind of hippiesh and I am a millionaire.)