Author Topic: Have you ever felt "unimportant" in a jewelry store?  (Read 43838 times)

Offline Diamondluvr

Re: Have you ever felt "unimportant" in a jewelry store?
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2007, 04:48:29 AM »
Intersting thread!

I for the most part I have had good experiences at jewelry stores.  But, When it came time for wedding bands that was another story.

We were both young and in grad school, we decided at the last minute that we were going to run into this store-we were in jeans-but it was like were invisible!  Stood around for over half an hour, looking through cases and NO ONE said anything to us, not even we'll be with you in a minute.  They were busy, but all I ask for is alittle acknowledgement!  We tried 2 more times, because they had a ring that I really liked and found no were else, the same thing happened.   So on the way out the 3rd time I said something to the sales people and walked out.  The funny thing is if I went in now I know it would be a different story-that makes me SOOOO mad!

On the other hand, I have had some great experiences too.  SO you never know I guess :)

The most fun experience was working with a sales person that had just moved to our area and had been working for Graff previously.  He had some great stories to tell and beautiful jewelry to describe!!! ;D 
She has spent her life best... who has enjoyed it most.

Offline diamondjunkie

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2007, 06:43:15 AM »
Great thread! Yes, I have been discriminated against and I've also been on both sides of the counter.  I remember one young couple came in looking at engagements sets and I sat with them for about 90 minutes going through the cases and chatting with them.  That boy (for that's all he was) spent $4k on a set later that day (his Dad came in and helped pay).  He told me we were the first store where anyone had paid attention to him.  It's also certainly very true that the scruffiest of people can drop several thousand dollars whereas the flashy ones just seem to waste your time!

I remember one interesting incident in a posh maul store back in 1999.  I went in to ask if they had any Cartier watches.  To my amazement, the girl I asked didn't know what Cartier was!  I nearly fell over!  She asked the manager who muttered something at me and I asked her to repeat it as I couldn't hear.  She said, really slowly and condescendingly,  "Our........Tacoma..........Mall.........Store......."  I put my hand up to her face and in my best upper class British accent said, "Do I sound like I can't speak English?"  and stormed out!  I actually ended up working for another branch of that jewelers later but in a much more pleasant atmosphere!

I think online shopping is so much better - no-one can judge you based on the fact that you are wearing pj's to make your purchase!!!   ;D

Offline ncjcg

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2007, 08:09:18 AM »
I have found that jewelry stores are mostly terrible to do business with.  The only "in person" jewelry store that I like is in ST. Maarten.  Other than that it is online jewelers, DBL mostly.

My curiosity is what are the salespeople looking for?  It is like you have to walk around with a wad of cash in your hand saying "I must spend this today" to get any attention and even if you are considering buying something they are so rushed.  I could understand if the store was busy, but many times there is no one else there...

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2007, 09:35:00 AM »
I've posted elsewhere at CDI about my experiences with a local jeweler, a store that I've done business with for a couple of years now. In my opinion, this particular store is MUCH more interested in the business of little blue-haired ladies and their husbands, generally, people who have shopped there for YEARS, have plenty to spend, and don't seem to question ANYTHING. I've stood around for 10 minutes or more, just waiting to be acknowledged, when they are "busy" with other customers. Whether it is a jeweler or dress shop, if you are standing at the counter, and no one acknowledges you, that's just bad business.  :tantrum2:

Actually, I felt VERY unimportant when speaking on the phone to an online jewelry vendor once.  I'd never purchased jewelry online before, was looking at some "significant" pieces, and I was trying to get an idea of how to judge what I was seeing online, as well as a sense of "who" I was dealing with.  My questions were serious, but when I said I would not be making a purchase for many weeks, I was told that the vendor was very busy, and I should call back when I was ready. I understand the vendor's frustration, however, at the time, I felt pretty small and embarrassed.

Several people have mentioned Tiffany & Co.: I grew up near NYC and went many times with my mother to Tiffany's. We were ALWAYS made to feel welcome.  I've ventured to the T & Co store outside DC, and I'd say the service there was as good as it gets.  For example, when the store was crowded and busy, even though the saleswoman knew my FI and I were not going to purchase for several months, she showed us a dozen or more rings. Then, she ordered several rings for us to look at the following week. Also, she offered to let me try on some WAAYYYY-out-of-our-budget pieces... including the $400k+ internally flawless cushion-cut diamond ring -- WHAT a beauty! We had a great time, learned a lot about what I like, what my FI likes and what physically "works" on my hand; we felt comfortable, and, most importantly, made a relationship with a salesperson who knows our budget and our tastes. THAT was good business (and the result of good sales training).

And finally, to me, the WORST experiences have been at some (not all) mall jewelers who just assume I'm completely uneducated about diamonds, and in my opinion, treat me like a moron.  As soon as I ask about ERs, the sales person pulls out a piece of paper describing the "4-Cs" and he/she launches on a rudimentary lecture about diamonds. I appreciate anyone's desire to educate, and I know I can always learn more, so I listen. But when the memorized lecture is all over, they can't answer my questions, and usually show me a junky ring anyway...so, what is the point? ???

Offline acebruin

• My Gallery
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2007, 11:35:56 AM »
She said, really slowly and condescendingly,  "Our........Tacoma..........Mall.........Store......."  I put my hand up to her face and in my best upper class British accent said, "Do I sound like I can't speak English?"  and stormed out!

:laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4:  i'm sorry you had to go through that DJ...

Offline diamondjunkie

« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2007, 01:34:08 PM »
I'm not Ace, but I think she was!   ;D

Offline BigRed

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2007, 02:32:53 PM »
I have had that happen several times to me! When I am out looking I usually wear jeans and a t-shirt and have my hair in a pony tail or have a baseball cap on! One time I was looking for something specific. I had just got my tax refund and had quite a bit of money with me. I walked into the store and spent several minutes looking through the cases and no one approached me. There were other customers being waited on so I didn't get mad then. But 2 of the sales people finished with the other customers and purposely avoided me. I even tried getting their attention but they avoided eye contact at all costs. I even stood in front of the case I wanted to get something from and just stood there.......nothing! I was starting to get really pissed off! I walked right up to the place they were hiding out in and asked to speak to the manager. I told him how offended I was and that I was here to make a purchase. He signaled to one of the one's who avoided me and I said I would like the woman that was busy with her customer to help me when she was done.  When she was done she came right over and showed me the things I was interested in! When I knew I was ready to buy my choices I told her.....I want that one......I want that one....I want that one too! I made my purchases and asked to see the manager and the sales lady that helped me and told them that this sales person was very helpful and I appreciated the manager for acknowledging my frustration. I then made it a point to say loud enough for the other 2 that ignored me.....I think the other 2 ladies assumed because of my dress that it wasn't worth their time. That you(manger) should really talk to those other sales people and tell them you can't judge a book by it's cover! That if they had taken one second of their time to help me then it would of been them who earned that commision. I even tipped the one that helped me 50.00 right in front of the others and said thank you for not being like them!
DBL's One and only Rose Gold Queen!!!!!

Offline acebruin

• My Gallery
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2007, 02:39:33 PM »
yikes, now i wouldn't wanna be in the two ladies' shoes...  glad you told em off BR...  how rude of them!

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2007, 02:42:22 PM »
Phew! BigRed, WAY TO TAKE ACTION! What a great story; you got what you wanted AND made your point. :notworthy: I'm afraid I wouldn't have had the presence to ask for the manager the way you did, let alone think to TIP the salesperson in front of the others.  Next time I feel snubbed, I'll respond with a BigRed Attack!   >:D

Madora

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2007, 06:29:06 PM »
Now I don't feel so bad that I know others have experienced this also.  You're right, it's not always just jewelry stores, but department stores as well.  I guess the reason I take so much notice to this is that I have worked for the public for 25 years and have ALWAYS acknowledged my customers and treat them all with courtesy no matter how they are dressed, etc.  Whether they are making a deposit for $10, or $10,000, they are all people with feelings who deserve to be waited on with respect, it's just the right thing to do! :)

Offline BigRed

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2007, 07:21:31 PM »
You know that thought did occur to me! But I guess by then I had something to prove! The manager wasn't aware of their behavior, he was in back! And the only other sales person was busy the whole time I was there! I wanted those witches to sweat when I asked to see the manager and then I wanted them to see first hand what happens when you ignore customers. I actually only wanted one thing but went for the other 2 out of spite. I wanted to STICK in their mind. That because of the way they treated me they lost out on a commission and a tip! I certainly never returned but I wanted them to SEE that I could afford to purchase something, so maybe the next time they wouldn't ignore a person because of the way they look.

Madora

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2007, 08:00:36 PM »
You know that thought did occur to me! But I guess by then I had something to prove! The manager wasn't aware of their behavior, he was in back! And the only other sales person was busy the whole time I was there! I wanted those witches to sweat when I asked to see the manager and then I wanted them to see first hand what happens when you ignore customers. I actually only wanted one thing but went for the other 2 out of spite. I wanted to STICK in their mind. That because of the way they treated me they lost out on a commission and a tip! I certainly never returned but I wanted them to SEE that I could afford to purchase something, so maybe the next time they wouldn't ignore a person because of the way they look.

Good for you!!  GO GIRL!!!!

Offline luvnjewelry

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2007, 08:12:41 PM »
BR...I admire that you very diplomatically went above and beyond to teach them a lesson.   Hopefully that will be a lesson learned that is carried throughout their life.     I too have been discriminated against...years ago, when I was so veeery young.   I really didn't pick up on it at the time as I was too busy drooling at the jewelry....but my friend grabbed my arm and said..."COME on, lets get outa here, they are not worthy of our $$$"! ;D

Now that I am old(er) I tend to get more respect.   Actually, the truth be told,  the sales people are usually ooohing and aaahing at MY jewelry because most of there jewelry is JUNK!! ;D
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 08:13:53 PM by luvnjewelry »

Offline BigRed

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2007, 08:21:58 PM »
I'd be oooohing and aaaahing your goodies at the grocery store!

Offline acebruin

• My Gallery
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2007, 08:22:57 PM »
:laughing4: :laughing4:  i would be too BR...  even from my car during traffic in LA ronda!  ;D

Offline luvnjewelry

« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2007, 09:17:53 PM »
 :-*  YOu are tooo kind! ;)  ~Ronda

Snooper

« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2007, 09:42:06 PM »
Im surprised you still bought stuff there Big red I would have  made the manager aware and then went somwhere else, then stroll back with bags from a diff store...like pretty woman where she says, "you made a BIG mistake, HUGE!!"

LOVE that movie and that scene!!!

Offline joia

« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2007, 05:56:01 AM »
A friend of ours who at that time was a high government official went to look at an apartment and the doorman looked him up and down and said he couldnīt afford it.  Our friend got on his high horse and made an appointment to see the apartment and then found ...... he couldnīt afford it.  At least he saw the funny side of it.  That is sometimes what happens in jewellery stores and the art is to make a dignified exit and if possible make the salesperson feel as though they have lost a very valuable customer.
Joia

Offline CatMom

« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2007, 10:13:23 AM »
Well I haven't had that happen in a jewelry store even when wearing jeans and a tshirt but I'm old and wear a lot of jewelry so I guess they figure I'm there to buy.

My husband and I did have it happen to us when buying a car one time. We had just finished painting our living room and were waiting for the paint to dry to put on the second one and decided to go out and look at cars. My lease was up and we didn't have a lot of time. We didn't change clothes because we were going to paint again. We went to the local Jaguar dealor and test drove one of the cars. We decided to buy it but wanted one with a more powerful engine and more features. The sales guy kept telling us it was a waste of money and to stick with the stripped down version. When my husband started filling out the loan papers and filled in his salery the sales guy grabbed the sheet out of his hand, said never mind and stormed out of the room,  all the while muttering sh@t, sh@t, sh@t under his breath. We were laughing so hard to see the look on his face when he realized that we could indeed afford one of his precious cars!
Michelle

Offline luvnjewelry

« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2007, 10:24:16 AM »
Great Story Catman and Joia..................   it just goes to show that you should never judge a book by it's cover.   I remember when I was a bank teller,  people with the most $$ in there account lived and dressed like they were just very "down" to earth people.    Those who were continually paying overdraft fees wore the designer purses, clothing, shoes...you name it............yet they had no money!!      :-\

Snooper

« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2007, 12:46:33 PM »
Catmom, that's a funny story!!! Just goes to show that casual doesn't mean=can't afford.

Ronda, I agree.  I see some of these ladies here, flashing their designer stuff (in VA) and they're the same people that Dan has to give a warrant to because they have a million dollar home, with ONE couch, tv, in their home, but can't make the payments...

Why do that?? It's like those who lease a really expensive car because they can't afford it.  I hate when people do that.  You can tell here (not sure in other states) what cars are leased due to the yellow/orange sticker color.  They're not fooling anyone. 

About a mile from me, there's one icky area and we drive past it depending on what errand we're doing.  And you see all these section 8 homes, yet they have BMW, Mercedes, etc., parked out front... yeah....

Offline Sanchica27

« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2007, 03:05:30 PM »
i live in a not so savory part of long island in new york, my favorite thing in the world is all of the "thugs" who live with their mothers but drive only range rover, lexus, mercedes, and bmw....and then they get repossessed! ha!
always saving up for my next piece!

Offline luvnjewelry

« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2007, 05:37:52 PM »
It is unbelievable to think that our tax dollars are funding these section 8 properties while the tenants are all sporting the best of the best vehicles----and because they have to "qualify" to live in a sec. 8 property to get the government help,  most still don't pay their part of  the rent payment!! :a082:   ON top of it,  it is really hard to "evict" them!    Don't even get me started on this....................... >:(    That could be a whole other thread!!

Offline evilmailjeep

« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2007, 05:48:51 PM »
I delivered mail to an apartment complex today....the landlord, and many of the tenants, do work...its just that the jobs (clerking, whatnot...) do not pay well...but even the other tenants wanted to throttle the couple of people with flashy cars...everybody else had 15 year old Chevys if they did drive.

Offline Sanchica27

« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2007, 05:59:01 PM »
not making enough money is certainly one thing, my mother grew up in that situation of just being poor.  but taking advantage of the system while there are so many others who genuinely need it, that is disgusting.
always saving up for my next piece!