Author Topic: Have you ever felt "unimportant" in a jewelry store?  (Read 44122 times)

Madora

Have you ever felt "unimportant" in a jewelry store?
« on: April 09, 2007, 07:47:32 PM »
Have you ever felt so "not good enough" in a jewelry store?  I mean, like some of those places are so fancy, and it's like, they look at you as if you couldn't afford anything in their store, so why bother.  I guess you could say" jewelry store snobs".    I have felt this way a few times, and it makes me sick! :icon_scratch:  I usually don't tarry too long...but long enough to take a peek at one of their "not so great" pieces with my loupe, and give them a chance to notice my jewelry.   :Whistle:

Madora

Re: Have you ever felt "unimportant" in a jewelry store?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 07:59:26 PM »
That's great AZ!  I think I will love online buying!  I'm bad to stroll in a jewelry store with my all-time favorite velour sweats!  ;D

Offline acebruin

• My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 08:10:22 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D i always stroll into a jewelry store with sandals and tshirt on...  and yes they make me feel "unimportant" most of the time...

Offline MaryAlaina

• The Gratuitous Promise
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 08:21:12 PM »
Yes, and the stupid thing is, at many of these stores, I am wearing bigger than they have in any of their cases! Usually the clerks seem to have an attitude, which again, is stupid, because I will usually know more than any of them too!

It's sometimes fun to go and look at a bunch of stuff in person, and sometimes you will get a nice clerk who will be helpful and let you try on stuff without the attitude, but seriously, why buy anywhere but online? You can get much better service and MUCH better prices!

Offline evilmailjeep

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 08:25:51 PM »
All the time. Then I point and laugh. I feel better.

Offline acebruin

• My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 08:28:10 PM »
:laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4:

Offline elizabeth

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 08:29:28 PM »
Never!  It is all about Attitude!  Even at T & Co 2 days ago .... they said, "Beautiful ring, is it one of ours?"  I just smiled and said no, "It is from my wonderful Jeweler in NYC."  ;D

Offline evilmailjeep

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 08:31:56 PM »
Do you guys ever belittle the clerks?

Offline acebruin

• My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 08:34:24 PM »
no no, tiffany's is different...  they have awesome service!  but then again it comes with the price tag...  ;D

Offline elizabeth

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 08:36:06 PM »
Do you guys ever belittle the clerks?
Noooo ... it is NOT their fault they must work in snooty jewelry stores!  ;)

Madora

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 09:36:50 PM »
I've never been to T&Co, just visited online.  No, I haven't ever belittled a salesperson, but I have corrected them on their diamond bond policy.  It's sad when a customer knows more about the company's policy than the sales people do.  I don't know much about diamonds, well, compared to you guys, but I do know a good diamond when I see one, and a bad one sticks out like a sore thumb.  I do know one really friendly, saleslady, so not to give em all a bad rap.  I live in a very small town, so not much to choose from around here but mostly mall stores.  That's why I'm so delighted to have found online buying and all the wonderful people here! Yes, the selections are endless online and much better prices, not to leave all all the friendly folks!  .....and, those COLORED DIAMONDS!!! :love7:

Madora

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 09:43:50 PM »
Yes i have always been treated very well a T&Co.  Even though i never bought any jewelry from them.  I agree that they are paid to be "nicer"..$125.00 for a silver key chain they better be schmoozing it a little
I agree their silver is WAY overpriced, but I still would love a silver band ring with T & Co on the top...Silly, but I would! :tongue3:

Offline Sanchica27

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2007, 10:05:48 PM »
i have experienced a lot of negative attitudes from sales associates because of my age.  they look at me and just think young=no money.  even if i wasnt buying anything, it still makes me mad to be ignored.  i must say though, the one time i did go to tiffany's to buy one of their ridiculous key chains, they were very friendly!
always saving up for my next piece!

Snooper

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2007, 10:35:29 PM »
I have to agree with EVERYONE OF YOU!!! I hate this!! I'm a very casual dresser... I live in jeans, flip flops or shorts and t-shirts (cute ones).  But it pisses me off when they're "SO MUCH BETTER" or what ever have you.

I know a lot of it comes from being young too.  But I'm not young! I'm going to be 29 this month!! But I'm told all the time, even at work from snobby mom's, "How old are you, have you been teaching long, what is your educational background!!" I HATE THAT! So rude! I want to say, "I have a higher education than you, and our income combined is as much as you and you're 45!!" This goes hand in hand at department stores and jewelry stores (including Maul stuff)

Pisses me off! This is definately one of my pet peeves... I'm told I look no more than 24, but even so, that doesn't mean you assume someone can't afford it! I hate that! I pay things in cash a lot, and that usually makes them less snotty when they see I can afford the things they "thought" I couldn't.

Tiffany and Co hasn't been bad.  But there are a few people who are "important"  ::) I'd like to remind them, even though they get their discount (sans rings) they don't make a lot as they're not on commission.. Not sure what's up their bum.

Sorry to go on a rampage!!

Offline Sanchica27

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2007, 10:49:25 PM »
one thing i worry about starting out in teaching is dealing with parents who are older than me and try to make me feel dumb because of it...thats why at least in the city one advantage is that many parents are not that involved or they dont really question someone who they know is educated.  it has its positive and negative sides thats for sure!

Offline robin

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2007, 12:28:16 AM »
Yes i have always been treated very well a T&Co.  Even though i never bought any jewelry from them.  I agree that they are paid to be "nicer"..$125.00 for a silver key chain they better be schmoozing it a little

They have always been very nice to me.  Just like in the movie :-), I've always found them very accomodating :-).

But my DH won't go into the nicest "local" jeweler's in the area.  When we were looking at ERs (11 1/2 years ago), we went into this jeweler's, because we'd heard they had beautiful things.  The clerk was so haughty, unhelpful, and condescending, as if we weren't worth his time.  So DH took his $5K (SO hard-earned-- he was making only $11 an hour at the time) elsewhere.  My DH's pride was really hurt, and he will not go in that store again, much less buy anything from them.  It's too bad, because I'm sure they really do have some lovely things.

--Robin 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 12:39:21 AM by robin »

Offline robin

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2007, 12:37:04 AM »
But I'm told all the time, even at work from snobby mom's, "How old are you, have you been teaching long, what is your educational background!!" I HATE THAT! So rude!

For good or for ill, this is a problem that will take care of itself with time ;-).

I am 37, and have been teaching college for 16 years.  I noticed one day  that when I made a crack about being old, my students did not laugh.  They did not laugh, I realized with horror, because they did not perceive it as a joke.  To them, this was merely an observation, not a witticism.  To them, over the sixteen years of my career thus far, I have gone from being their contemporary to being their parents'.  It's appalling.

--Robin

Offline Sanchica27

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2007, 12:40:02 AM »

They have always been very nice to me.  Just like in the movie :-), I've always found them very accomodating :-).

But my DH won't go into the nicest "local" jeweler's in the area.  When we were looking at ERs (11 1/2 years ago), we went into this jeweler's, because we'd heard they had beautiful things.  The clerk was so haughty, unhelpful, and condescending, as if we weren't worth his time.  So DH took his $5K (SO hard-earned-- he was making only $11 an hour at the time) elsewhere.  My DH's pride was really hurt, and he will not go in that store again, much less buy anything from them.  It's too bad, because I'm sure they really do have some lovely things.

--Robin 

uh, i hate snooty salespeople.  me and my FH have been together since 10th grade....by the time we had both finished our first year of college we knew we were going to get married, we decided we wouldnt actually tie the know until we were both done with school, but he bought me my ER anyway.  at the time he was working as a commercial shell fisherman and certainly not earning much money while still in school.  the place where we ended up buying my ER had the most accommodating and understanding salesperson.  that extra little bit of attention and respect, on top of me finding a ring that i loved, sealed the deal.  i have been working in retail dealing mainly with special service type areas for about 8 years, and customer service is key.  you never know who will drop 10k in a heartbeat and salespeople should always keep that in mind!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 12:41:37 AM by Sanchica27 »

Offline Rubymu

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2007, 12:44:56 AM »
Nice thread everyone!

My experience is that any truly classy and high end store will treat you with courtesy and respect, it's the mediocre stores that have 'attitude' about being better than their customers. 

As you say Sanchia...you can never tell who has the bucks and who doesn't, so best be nice to everyone eh! I've often found that the most modest looking people will be the ones with the real cash behind them....and the 'flashy' types are all talk.

Offline GracefulLion

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2007, 12:52:50 AM »
Well, y'all should move to LA because I think they EXPECT jeans and flip flops, even on Rodeo Drive!  Actually, I have only had a "snooty" experience once, in Florida at a Tiffany & Co.  I was 27 or so and dating someone who I thought could be the one (turns out, not so much).  My best friend insisted I go into Tiffany with her to see what I like, so that she could tell him when the time came.  I knew zip-zero-nada-nothing about diamonds, and I guess when I tried them on I was putting my fingers all over the stones - the sales-guy's eyes nearly popped out of his sockets and he practically snatched the ring away to clean it off and explain to me that I should never touch the diamond.  It was a bit melodramatic, I must say.  Other than that, I have found all of them very nice and very eager to take any change I may have left at the bottom of my purse.

Correction!!  Walking in with a stroller or a toddler does cause some occasional grimacing, but even then it is generally fine.  MUCH better than the clothing shops in Beveryl Hills. That is where TRUE snootiness lives and breathes!!

Offline evilmailjeep

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2007, 01:56:44 AM »
The stores I adore (sarcasm) are the ones that treat me as if I am invisible, and then pour on the charm when DH is shopping with me. In fact, nothing on earth will make us flee a store faster than fawning attention in that way. He hates being put in the spotlight, and if he is quietly window shopping, the pressure 'to buy something for the lady' will make him rather upset.
He is a guy who is more than willing to go shopping with me, but a pushy salesperson will send him into a cold sweat.

Oh, for fun...try wearing any colored gemstone as an e-ring...see how the attention changes not only in jewelry stores, but any bridal shop.

Offline acebruin

• My Gallery
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2007, 01:57:27 AM »
:laughing4:  i think i know what you're talking about GL...

as for age, i don't take it personally when someone says i don't look my age...  i do however hate it when someone treats me like i can't afford stuff they sell...  i really hate that...  judging someone by one's age and by one's looks...  i also agree with rubymu...

Snooper

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2007, 01:58:28 AM »
Glad some of the younger cdi members all feel the pain of this age thing!!!

Offline Rubymu

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2007, 02:13:42 AM »
 i also agree with rubymu...

That was easy.  If only I could train all men in this way..... >:D

Offline joia

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2007, 04:33:20 AM »
There is a very exclusive (aka overpriced)  jewellery shop in Cascais that sells the most expensive stuff to the very rich, and there are quite a few here, and they treat you like dirt.  It doesnīt matter how you are dressed it is the same, if they donīt recognize you from the society magazines you have had it.  I went there to have my best pearls restrung (they have a very good fellow who does this) and the young shopgirl who works there admired my pearls when I picked them up and asked me about them- then suddenly the woman manager appeared and told her to stop chatting and get on with some work - you can imagine how I felt.  I just donīt go there now for anything. 
Joia