Author Topic: How often do you...  (Read 19116 times)

Offline DiaDiva

Re: How often do you...
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2007, 09:52:49 PM »
I have a pretty heavy-duty ultrasonice cleaner at home, courtesy of my jeweller (he sold it to me brand new at a really low price) and it's brilliant. I've been using it with warm water and vinegar or dishwashing liquid, depending on my mood. Only trouble with it is, it's quite powerful so I have to check that my diamonds haven't dropped out or are loose but when they do, my jeweller fixes it for free.

I'm obsessive about clean jewellery, I used to clean my jewellery every time I wear it. Now, I'm a little more relaxed  :angel:, I clean them on alternate days. My friends think I'm nuts but it beats wearing jewellery that look like sh*#t just because it's dirty and I tell them, you bathe everyday, don't you?  ;)??? 
Maria...a jewellery addict...

Offline Diamondluvr

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2007, 09:57:28 PM »

DiaDiva-you make me laugh!  Its great to take good care of your jewelry-I know I love to look at mine when they are at their cleanest too! :D

How long do you run them in the US?  I also have a commercial grade one and I think I need a different cleaner or to run it longer, because they definately do not come as clean as at my jewelers ???
She has spent her life best... who has enjoyed it most.

Offline Michi

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2007, 10:26:44 PM »
I'm obsessive about clean jewellery, I used to clean my jewellery every time I wear it. Now, I'm a little more relaxed  :angel:, I clean them on alternate days. My friends think I'm nuts but it beats wearing jewellery that look like sh*#t just because it's dirty and I tell them, you bathe everyday, don't you?  ;)??? 

DiaD, ROFL!  I'm with you!  That's why I have to give mine a bath every day.  I soak, scrub with a baby toothbrush, dry with my hair dryer and spiff with my microfiber cloth.

I know you and others have mentioned using dishwashing liquid - I always avoided it because I thought it produced soap scum.  I guess not, huh?!

Offline evilmailjeep

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2007, 03:22:32 AM »
Try adding a teaspoon or so of ammonia to the mix, and see if it doesn't come cleaner...

Offline joia

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2007, 05:16:59 AM »
I hate dirty jewellery and I am obsessive about cleaning.  I have just ordered a US and that is why I was asking.  Mind you I never take my rings off anywhere but at home and if they get a bit of soap on them - never mind - I give them a good clean at home.  I have heard of far too many rings being left in washrooms by mistake and I have actually met someone who was in France and actually kept one she found.  I was a bit shocked but I suppose it would be doubtful, in a public washroom, that you would get the ring back to the rightful owner.
(By the way, she is not going to get mine).
Joia

Snooper

« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2007, 02:55:46 PM »
Good point Joia!! I once joked (not really a joke) that I could wash my hands w/o getting water on my ring, hence the umbrella on my signature...

But I would rather have soap scum than loosing a ring because I took it off! I've never seen anyone take theirs off in a restroom... So scary!

Offline elizabeth

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2007, 03:50:43 PM »
I hate dirty jewellery and I am obsessive about cleaning.  I have just ordered a US and that is why I was asking.  Mind you I never take my rings off anywhere but at home and if they get a bit of soap on them - never mind - I give them a good clean at home.  I have heard of far too many rings being left in washrooms by mistake and I have actually met someone who was in France and actually kept one she found.  I was a bit shocked but I suppose it would be doubtful, in a public washroom, that you would get the ring back to the rightful owner.
(By the way, she is not going to get mine).
Joia

Timely post... after church some lady was crying because before church she took off an heirloom ring while washing her hands in the ladies room and forgot about it.  She could not find it anywhere ....  while at lunch we got a call saying a little girl found it in the ladies room and put it on and once at home her mom noticed it an asked where she found it?  So the lady now has her ring back and is VERY happy!   

Offline robin

« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2007, 05:44:50 PM »
Well, I had a good time at my parents' house today-- gave my mom her yellow pendant (no, she didn't know what it was-- I figured she wouldn't <LOL>, so she got a little lecture about yellow diamonds  :D.)

But-- I also cleaned all of her jewelry today.  It had NEVER been cleaned, so you can well imagine.  Their microwave wasn't working, so I warmed the vinegar in a hot water bath, then took a toothbrush and a toothpick (!!) to her stuff. 

She has an emerald and a tanzanite, and I didn't dip those in the vinegar, just brushed them with the damp toothbrush.

But oh, my goodness, was it ever grubby.  Very satisfying to get her stuff nice and sparkly again.

--Robin

Offline BigRed

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2007, 06:54:06 PM »
We need more mom details! Was she blown away after finding out what it was? Did she like it? What did the rest of the family think? Did you tell her the reason why she got this special gift?
DBL's One and only Rose Gold Queen!!!!!

Offline jewellk

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2007, 08:04:34 PM »
Did she love it? That was such a nice gesture from you!
Mindi  :munky2:

Snooper

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2007, 10:29:33 PM »
Yes, details on the pendant!

Offline robin

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2007, 10:31:16 PM »
We need more mom details! Was she blown away after finding out what it was? Did she like it? What did the rest of the family think? Did you tell her the reason why she got this special gift?

Yes, I explained that I thought plastic bracelets were sort of cheap and tacky <G>, and this was her special alternative.  She liked that a lot, I think :-).

My dad is NOT a jewelry person, so he wasn't so impressed, but my cousin came by (our mothers are identical twins, so we're genetic half-sibs  :) ), and Mom made a big point of showing off her new sparkly :-).  It looks pretty on her, too-- I took a couple of quick pics, but just of the necklace around her neck, because I got the "I haven't fixed my makeup" business.   But the stone really is soooo lively-- I was pretty impressed once I saw it on her.

--Robin

Offline evilmailjeep

« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2007, 10:57:44 PM »
Will you show your mom the thread?

Offline DiaDiva

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2007, 11:08:29 PM »

DiaDiva-you make me laugh!  Its great to take good care of your jewelry-I know I love to look at mine when they are at their cleanest too! :D

How long do you run them in the US?  I also have a commercial grade one and I think I need a different cleaner or to run it longer, because they definately do not come as clean as at my jewelers ???

Thanks, girls! Good to know that there are others with OCC (Obsessive Compulsive Cleaning...haha...made that up).

DL, I don't put my stuff in the US for too long because it's usually quite clean so at max, I'll leave it in for a minute.

Sometimes I'm lazy so I'll put more than one items in the US but I stand there to stir it around a little in the water so they don't end up scratching each other.

I don't have problem with scumminess after using the dishwashing liquid. Hmmm, might just try a mix of dishwashing liquid and vinegar...and see how that goes.
Maria...a jewellery addict...

Offline annie1

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2007, 11:15:05 PM »
I wish I cleaned my jewelry more than I do, but I clean my ering at least once a week.  If I'm going somewhere special or something, I will of course do another cleaning.

I really do mean to clean it more often, but I have trouble staying on schedule in the mornings.   ::)
:duckie:  Annie  :duckie:
DBL Technical assistant, CDI Moderator
Check out DBL's new items!

Offline Sanchica27

« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2007, 11:48:46 PM »
whenever necessary, but at least once a week. 
always saving up for my next piece!

Offline diamondjunkie

« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2007, 03:46:49 AM »
Robin, lovely to hear that your Mom liked her new pendant.  You are such a good daughter!

I clean my rings every week or so and always before going somewhere special.  I had a mini ultrasonic that I managed to break!  That was the best thing for cleaning earrings and getting into all the places I couldn't reach with a brush.  I need to go buy a better one sometime soon.

allanweary

« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2010, 06:55:57 AM »
Hi guys,
I agree all of you. because of your tips very nice. So generally Too much good idea
all of you.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 10:47:53 AM by webmistress »

Offline saqsay1

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2010, 11:20:01 AM »
i was having a problem cleaning my new FY pear ring with the little basket underneath it. when i went to buy a new toothbrush last week, i saw a denture brush. it has extra long bristles. about 3/4 of an inch. i bought it and problem solved! i use an ammonia and water mix, hopefully thats okay. i also have a steam cleaner that i bought used on ebay, it works somewhat, but doesn't hold enough water to do more than 1 to 2 rings at a time.

p.s. i clean my rings everytime i wear them. i can't stand dirty jewelry. yellow diamonds don't seem to have the same sparkle factor as colorless, so cleaning them often is key to get the maximum sparkle.  8)
"If the US government were placed in control of the Sahara Desert, it would run out of sand in 25 years."

Offline Sparkly-OCD

« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2010, 11:58:55 AM »
Thanks Saqsay1!  I'll need to remember to pick-up a denture brush, because my FPB is going to be set with the same Princess semi-mount as your FY pear.  I will definitely want to be able to clean the pavilion of the diamond.  Thanks for the tip!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 11:59:51 AM by Sparkly-OCD »
Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.  -Mark Twain

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2010, 01:27:59 PM »
Dental stuff is handy for cleaning rings! I have a waterpic, which is a high pressure jet of water for cleaning between teeth. It's great for getting to the lower facets on a step cut.
Customer Service Associate
jennifer@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline SaoriViola

« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2010, 01:33:38 PM »
I LOVE my waterpick, i can't believe i ever lived without it.  :)

Offline saqsay1

« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2010, 01:40:21 PM »
Thanks Saqsay1!  I'll need to remember to pick-up a denture brush, because my FPB is going to be set with the same Princess semi-mount as your FY pear.  I will definitely want to be able to clean the pavilion of the diamond.  Thanks for the tip!
i can't wait to see your new ring sparkly! hopefully you'll post pics??
"If the US government were placed in control of the Sahara Desert, it would run out of sand in 25 years."

Offline candy23

« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2010, 08:43:35 AM »
 I usually clean my earrings twice a week, as far as ring setting is concerned that I leave it on my local jewelers to take care of it.

Offline DBLrocks

« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2010, 01:53:31 AM »
I usually clean my rings twice a day (if I'm wearing it) especially if sweaty. For prongs, I check it daily as well as my earrings.