Author Topic: How often do you...  (Read 19311 times)

Snooper

How often do you...
« on: April 06, 2007, 07:33:42 PM »
1) Clean your rings/earrings
2) Check your prongs on your pieces

Just curious

Offline evilmailjeep

Re: How often do you...
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 07:55:57 PM »
I work in places that are sweaty, gritty and hard on rings.
I clean the rings I wear 3-4 times a day, earrings every day or two
Since only two of my rings in heavy rotation have never had a loose stone...(and most are bezels) I do the 'tap and wiggle' test a couple times a day...
Good thing I'm that nutty, the right headlight of the wedding band came out in a china dish while I was cleaning it, Sanity has come loose twice, but not all the way out.
I should be a stress tester for rings.

Offline elizabeth

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 08:08:31 PM »
I have been cleanng my new ring every day  ;D ECs show smudges BAD!!!!! Who knew?  My earrings, eternity bands, watches, diamond studs & a bezel set necklace that I never take off except to clean ... I clean them all maybe 2 times a month.... but w/all the facets you don't see dirt and sweat UNTIL you clean them :)  DH justed asked me to find a cleaner that doesn't smell like vinegar if I am going to clean my ring EVERY FRICKIN' day!   ;D  He is sooo sweet!   >:D  I think I need to start checking my prongs!!!  Never have BUT have NEVER lost a stone either!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 10:45:05 AM by elizabeth »

Offline BigRed

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 08:31:45 PM »
God I thought I was doing good but not compared to you all! I clean mine every other week. I actually get a little thrill out of cleaning mine or others peoples jewelery. I've got a knack for it! My mom loves it when I come over she plops down her rings seconds after I walk through the door. I just really am thorough and I have a great clothe. I can make em' sparkle like crazy!
DBL's One and only Rose Gold Queen!!!!!

Offline elizabeth

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 08:38:12 PM »
I work in places that are sweaty, gritty and hard on rings.
I clean the rings I wear 3-4 times a day, earrings every day or two
Since only two of my rings in heavy rotation have never had a loose stone...(and most are bezels) I do the 'tap and wiggle' test a couple times a day...
Good thing I'm that nutty, the right headlight of the wedding band came out in a china dish while I was cleaning it, Sanity has come loose twice, but not all the way out.
I should be a stress tester for rings.

I need to send you mine weekly!   ;D

Offline Piglette

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 09:08:26 PM »
Sort-of related question :  Do you guys leave your rings on when you shower?  (I take mine off -- mostly due to fear of loss of stones.  Also, shampoo and conditioner are not great for sparkling quotient.)  It should be noted that I have very long hair, and it takes about a half-hour to wash it.  (Therefore:  VERY long hair-washing showers.)

Offline BigRed

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 09:13:42 PM »
I leave mine on in the shower. You know I have never checked my prongs. I guess it's because I have never lost a stone! Maybe I should start because now that I made that statement you can be sure I will. Murphy's Law hangs over my head at all times!

Offline evilmailjeep

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 09:22:19 PM »
Mine soak while I'm in the shower...usually in (gulp) laundry detergent.

Offline Michi

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 10:11:27 PM »
I clean whatever jewelry I wear every day.  I don't shower or sleep with jewelry and I always take my rings off if I'm doing something in the kitchen. 

Snooper

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 10:42:21 PM »
I don't shower with my rings on, but I did once and then like Piglette said, the soap grime is NOT diamond friendly!!!! Yuck!

I actually clean mine every other day, but I wasn't sure if that was normal or excessive...

Earrings get WAY more dirtier than rings (for me).  Even after one day of NOT touching them, they're all icky!!

Offline DiamondLady

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 11:27:04 PM »
Cleaning: I do that at least once a day with a baby toothbrush and regular soap. Then I leave them sit in cleaner or alcohol at least twice a week usually to get rid of any soap residue and such.

Check my prongs:  Huh? Am I supposed to do that?
Nope, nuh-uh, it wasn't me, I swear it!

Madora

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2007, 01:02:46 AM »
Brush teeth, clean rings, dry hair, dry rings! SPARKLE!

Offline acebruin

• My Gallery
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2007, 02:55:54 AM »
:laughing4:  when you said the word SPARKLE, i had a picture of a lady with a huge smile and a sparkle on her tooth like a toothpaste commercial...  :laughing4: :laughing4:

FoxyandSexy

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2007, 10:36:31 AM »
I clean my rings once a week. I soak them in warm vinegar (Elizabeth, it doesn't stink THAT bad, but he's sweet to let you buy a cleaner), then brush them with a soft toothbrush. I rinse them with warm water, then blot the water off. It works wonders! I used to use alcohol, but warm vinegar works so much better!!

I have platinum, white gold, and rose gold in my rings----and they've all been fine with the vinegar.

I try and take off my rings before I get in the shower every morning, but sometimes my fingers swell at night & I can't get them off. But the warm vinegar will remove any soapscum.

I check my prongs every day, or every other day..........I'M PARANOID!!!

:Heart: Amy

Offline joia

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2007, 11:01:28 AM »
Does anyone use an ultra-sound?  I know you canīt clean opals, emeralds and pearls.  Is there any other gem stone you canīt put in this?
Joia

Offline Michi

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2007, 11:19:23 AM »
I have one, but no longer use it.  It's shaken the melee from too many of my things.  I find that cleaning it with a baby toothbrush and a cleaner is much safer and easier on my things.

Offline BigRed

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2007, 01:10:30 PM »
This was a topic of discussion somewhere else.  ::) And yes there are other stones that shouldn't go in there. One that actually shocked me was garnet. I have a lot of spessartine garnet and was considering one myself till I heard that. That info came from a jeweler and a dealer of those things. I believe tanzanite was also one you couldn't put in there.

Offline diamondjunkie

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2007, 01:52:39 PM »
Does anyone use an ultra-sound?  I know you canīt clean opals, emeralds and pearls.  Is there any other gem stone you canīt put in this?
Joia

I wouldn't trust it with anything other than diamond, sapphire and ruby.

Offline BigRed

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2007, 01:58:18 PM »
Yeah me neither! I think it is only good on stones rated 9 or 10 on the hardness scale. I believe garnets and tanzanite are an 8.

Madora

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2007, 02:06:00 PM »
:laughing4:  when you said the word SPARKLE, i had a picture of a lady with a huge smile and a sparkle on her tooth like a toothpaste commercial...  :laughing4: :laughing4:

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
  Yes, prevents cavities, makes your pearly whites sparkle, as well as your diamonds, and dries hair and rings all in one!  (Not the same brushes for teeth and rings...now was you wondering? :tongue3:)  I often use Connisseurs jewelry soap and brush for daily use, and give em a good soak in warm water and dish detergent with lemon about once every couple of weeks.  I check my prongs all the time, I'm paranoid too, but haven't ever had problems with prongs or losing diamonds.

Offline CatMom

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2007, 04:40:59 PM »
Every morning what ever I have picked out to wear for the day gets cleaned. I use a jewelry cleaner and soft baby's tooth brush and they get dried with a hair dryer to make sure no water gets left on them. We have hard water here. Once a week I use the ultra sonic on the things that can go in there.

Forgot to say that I rarely check the prongs. Yikes, maybe I better start doing that!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 04:42:16 PM by CatMom »
Michelle

Snooper

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2007, 05:09:09 PM »
I wonder what the odds of a prong getting loose is from a stone.... I do the rattle test once a week. 

I'd rather have a dirty piece, than a missing stone! I WOULD DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline elizabeth

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2007, 06:16:53 PM »
I wonder what the odds of a prong getting loose is from a stone.... I do the rattle test once a week. 

I'd rather have a dirty piece, than a missing stone! I WOULD DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok Sam  :icon_scratch: please tell... "the rattle test"??   :dontknow:

Offline elizabeth

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2007, 06:23:00 PM »
I use a jewelry cleaner and soft baby's tooth brush and they get dried with a hair dryer to make sure no water gets left on them.
Forgot to say that I rarely check the prongs. Yikes, maybe I better start doing that!

Ohhhh the hair dryer is a good idea!

Snooper

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2007, 07:15:15 PM »
Rattle test: Shake your ring by your ear in a quiet place.  If you hear a rattle, a stone is more than likely loose...