Author Topic: Red diamond in 14ky white gold  (Read 2635 times)

Offline Thebumnextdoor

Red diamond in 14ky white gold
« on: June 01, 2016, 07:05:55 PM »
Hi there. I work at a pawn shop and recently bought a ring that just happen to really catch my eye. It has a single 3/4 CT red diamond in the middle which I'm sure is irradiated. And a really nice 14kt white gold setting with smaller diamond chips. I'm just trying to see if I can get a general idea of what it might be worth a d if it would be worth getting looked at and insured. Thank you very much for any info. I'll post pictures when I can. Says they are too big right now

Offline Thebumnextdoor

Re: Red diamond in 14ky white gold
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 08:17:45 PM »
Here's some pics. I will get better ones later on. These are just modified so I could post them

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 07:08:32 PM »
Hello, welcome to CDI!

It's a pretty ring. What makes you think the stone is a red diamond - irradiated or otherwise? It looks more like a ruby or spinel to me (though ID from a photo is always a guess at best).

The best way to post pictures is to use [*img]URL[*/img] tags (without the *) by uploading full-size pictures to a web hosting site (be it Facebook, Picasa, your own web site or anything else that enables you to store files) and linking them via their URL to the post.

Value - in what sense? You determined the value as a pawn yourself. Resale value to the public depends on correct ID (including accurate determination of hue), and also to a large extent on how long you want to keep it there for... nice irradiated reds around 0.70 ct. can be offered for $4-5 thousands/carat; whether they sell... is a completely different question.

Offline Thebumnextdoor

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 12:32:50 AM »
Well at the pawn shop we have multiple digital diamond testers. And on all of them it tests as a diamond. So definitely not a ruby. Any other gemstone doesnt show up on the testers and they also can test for moisonites. I've also been working with stones and jewlery for the last 3 years so I have a general idea but I am definitely no expert. Now as for figuring out a price myself, at the pawn shop we don't sell retail. We sell our jewlery extremely cheap compared to what I have seen in jewlery stores and online. Just an example we just recently sold a ring with a 1.75ct diamond with Gia papers stating it was a si1,  g color for only $5,500. It also have 2 .5ct diamonds on each side. So I wouldn't be able to get an accurate appraisal from work. Just trying to get some info from some people that know more then me. Not many jewlers around here I can go to for information. It's a small town.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 12:37:10 AM by Thebumnextdoor »

Offline Thebumnextdoor

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 12:34:05 AM »
I also don't own this pawn shop. Just work there. I bought it from there. And I don't really plan on selling it. ( unless my girlfriend hates it) I just wanted to see if colored diamonds like this were worth getting insured and what not.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 12:38:41 AM by Thebumnextdoor »

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 01:27:24 PM »
Hi Bum,
I guess it certainly could be an irradiated diamond.
Value in such a case would be about $500-$1000 per carat...... a used setting maybe $500+-

Total ballpark, from another bum:)
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline Thebumnextdoor

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 06:09:15 PM »
That's what I kinda was thinking. Thanks you very much! Appreciate it.

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 08:57:36 PM »
For those interested....there's about to be TWO Red diamonds ( both Argyle)_ listed on the DBL site....please stay tuned.....
David
Check out our YouTube Channel