Author Topic: Diamonds with a story  (Read 687 times)

Offline mazzal

Diamonds with a story
« on: January 26, 2016, 02:08:57 PM »
I was wondering how common diamond are that come with a story. With a story I mean anything special that happened during the lifetime of diamonds that is worth mentioning and gives character and added value to the diamond. For example: previously owned by someone famous, worn during historic event, etc 

Of course almost every diamond creates its own beautiful personal story! But I am looking to see if this is something that can help selling these diamonds.

Leo

[link removed by moderator]
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 10:13:30 PM by oldmancoyote »

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
Re: Diamonds with a story
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 10:28:43 PM »
Hello Leo, welcome to CDI

I once read that well over 50% of human beings that ever lived are alive today.

I would think that similarly it is true of diamonds that well over 50% of the diamonds ever mined or synthesized have been mined within the lifetime of people alive today, most of which aren't at all famous. If to this you add that usually notable jewels use notable (i.e. large) gems, and these are by definition a small proportion of all stones mined, I think the number of diamonds with a genuine "story" are a small minority indeed.

Most sellers of luxury goods (and diamonds certainly are a luxury) will try to "romance" their goods adding - sometimes spurious - details about their history and characteristics to make them more appealing to buyers. Whether this succeeds or is just a source of irritation has, I suspect, more to do with the personal chemistry between seller and buyer than with the story itself.

In any case, since you seem to be selling diamonds, you should know how many of them have a "story" tied to them... if you don't (and the majority of diamonds aren't even identifiable by country of origin, never mind something "special" like a story), then you have answered your own question.

Final note: this is a sponsor-owned forum; you are not allowed to promote your own business through it. This is why the link to your site has been removed.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 10:29:38 PM by oldmancoyote »