Author Topic: Shiny New Camera technology  (Read 10274 times)

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
Shiny New Camera technology
« on: December 10, 2014, 10:36:05 PM »
Hi Everyone,
we are the proud new owners of a new camera system.
Ill never abandon my own methods of taking pictures, but this is an amazing supplement.
The system is incredible to use- you control the computer which controls the camera- a remarkable camera and lens.
The lighting options are many, so we'll need to experiment

Here it is in motion.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQp2_J9Wu-w" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQp2_J9Wu-w</a>
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline Sanchica27

Re: Shiny New Camera technology
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 03:00:14 PM »
This is so cool, I can't wait to see some rings in action!
always saving up for my next piece!

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 02:41:49 PM »
I love this new camera!  Seeing a diamond like this is really wonderful!
Elaine aka Squiggly
elaine@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 06:03:21 PM »
This one really stunned us- ...it looks amazing...
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVaoawQ5Gcw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVaoawQ5Gcw</a>
David

Offline satbeachbill

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 09:35:09 AM »
Amazing video detail!

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 02:25:16 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go54MybPmcI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go54MybPmcI</a>

Opinions please....how is this?
David

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 03:47:05 PM »
Ummm... dunno. While the loose stone videos are quite special, this one looks like - dare I say it - something from the site of James Allen. I'm not talking of the object, just of the video. Perhaps it's because the ring support is visible, or perhaps it's because the angle doesn't change from a very flat 90 from table to camera, but it doesn't convince me.

Colour rendition and light are great - as is detail. It's just... the overall effect. Or maybe the fact that I don't like pink and green?  ;D

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 06:38:04 PM »
Thanks OMC!!

We were thinking that maybe the ring should be laying on it's side so that you see the shank and back as well.
About JA pics and looking like them- one positive aspect of this technology is that it makes taking pictures "routine"- while my pictures are a totally different exercise.
So, the pics we take with the new camera may look somewhat like other sites-- BUT- no way I am abandoning my pictures, the new ones will supplement.
I did a colorless ring as well- I'll post the video later to see if you like it better
David

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 08:58:20 PM »
Is there any reason why it isn't in HD?

I would rather the ring be on its side and have it spinning so you would see the front and the back of it as you mentioned.

It's not bad but something's missing..
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline Rexelle

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 10:51:36 PM »
D,
You "hit the nail on the head"...... You made it "routine".

We are all used to the DBL personality-driven flavor shining through ...... This is flat, and automated by comparison.  While the quality of the piece is apparent, it's just not the same as the ones that we are used to, and love. Change is hard.
While the time spent on your "old style" pieces vids & pics is time consuming, it is often what has drawn many of us to you.
Sorry Dude,  just sayin'........

I not sure how you get the new set up to capture the DBL 'sass'....... :)
M

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 08:45:59 PM »
Thanks Rexie!!
Point well taken.

We actually initiated this purchase almost 6 months back- it takes a long time  to build the thing.
Right from the start, I knew I'd never give up my pictures- or videos.

But adding another dimension will do just that- give the consumer a broader picture of a diamond.
With the new camera system there's about 50 individual lights which you can control.
Changing the lighting makes a huge difference.
For example- I used completely different lighting for this E color- I'm still not thrilled with this result- but having said that, I like it more than don't, if that makes any sense
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtE8mr7DEfk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtE8mr7DEfk</a>

This one is my favorite so far. Again, I spent an hour on getting the lighting just so
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-iBDYyAKZs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-iBDYyAKZs</a>
David

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 03:24:46 AM »
Still dunno... the plastic zorg holding the ring (and moving jerkily) is a big turn-off, as is the deadpan-flat angle. Lighting control, sharpness and ease of taking standard images are great - and if it means cutting a day or a week off getting VERY good quality images to the public, then it's a big gain.

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 08:48:34 PM »
We can probably find a ring holder that grips the shank at the bottom- I agree the plastic thingie holding the ring sucks.
And I also dislike when it jerks.
The ring images take a lot longer than a lose diamond to capture. The time involved makes it far liklier some sot of vibration will affect the movie.
Even walking near the machine when it's taking pictures can affect the smoothness.
What did you think about the loose diamond shots OMC?
David

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 09:13:38 PM »
Both mounted and unmounted, the stones look stunning! However, I agree, the ring thingy is bothersome to me. And, I know I'm a pain, but watching the ring videos, I want the circling to stop so I can take it all in. Reminds me of this: :hypnodisk: Also, as others said, i can't help but wait for the camera to pan down to view the piece from other angles, especially the sides.

In a nutshell, it's all about envisioning the piece on my hand, and I want to see the piece in the same way I'd see it on my hand ... same distance from my eyes, same slow movements to watch the scintillation, same view from above and from the side. If this is one part of the presentation puzzle, that's fine. However, it requires a LOT of painstaking work from you not to be the entire presentation! FWIW, D, I love your "signature" look photos and I'm ALWAYS in for a great hand shot.

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 09:34:43 PM »
For me, the pear ring video is more successful than the green and pink ring video. Something about the way the green and pink is both spinning around itself while it also rotates around the screen, i.e., it doesn't stay centered, spinning on it's axis on one place throughout the video, makes my eyes wonky. It frets me terribly and, I'm sorry, but after a bit I don't like watching. Not so much with the pear ring. Does that make sense?

Reading the thread comments over again, I must say that I agree, word for word, with OMC's first comment (except, that I DO like pink and green).  ;)  Of course, after all is said and done, one can clearly see the quality in each piece, so what are we nagging about, lol? Interesting discussion.

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2014, 12:55:49 AM »
What did you think about the loose diamond shots OMC?
To the cost of sounding a bit like Thomson and Thompson from Tintin (can you tell my kids are growing? A few years ago it was all about Winnie the Pooh), I agree with Trinkette,

[snip] unmounted, the stones look stunning!

(I agree with the rest of her post too, but the words above - though modified in meaning from T's original thought- apply 100000%. I also think that being able to see the stone from all angles: above, side and behind is very nice because it shows shape and clarity in a way that the usual images do not (unless you, David, take the bother to shoot images from all of these angles, which you occasionally do to make a specific point, but I assume the equipment makes it much easier).

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2014, 10:14:49 PM »
The pear shape ring was an improvement but.... still not a fan.  Maybe one circle that way is all I'd want but as said by others I really wish I could get the sides and the back.  Have the diamond face me head on, with the shank behind (not beneath).  Spin it around once or twice and that would be great.

I absolutely LOVE this for the loose stones though.  It is a great addition to the beautiful shots you usually take.  I don't like it as a replacement but it is helpful and I love seeing everything in the stone as well as the facets on the back.  Just so cool to see.
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2014, 04:52:11 AM »
Just a thought: all of those commenting here (and indeed it seems all of those commenting on this forum at all, in the last couple of years) are long-term DBL fans/friends/customers; we are used to seeing things done in a certain way and in a certain style.

David - have you tried posting one or two of these on YouTube and seeing if there is any difference in hit rates or click-through rates from those to other things compared to "traditional" videos? This may be more representative of what the average site visitor thinks of the video.

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2014, 09:17:05 PM »
That's partially true OMC.  I do like the old style photos a lot.  They really do tell a lot to me and when selling an item to someone I appreciate them.

Just like I absolutely LOVE this camera and what it can show.  Is it the same as regular videos and the photos?  Nope.  Do I love it for what it adds?  Yep.

I'm just not loving it on the rings.  I want side to side motion for rings because that is how I would view it on my hand.  You know that tilt side to side that you see women do when looking at sparklies.  Seeing the bottom of the shank isn't 100% necessary but if I had to pick a way to spin a ring, it wouldn't be like a top, it would be from top to the side and around to the back because that mimics motion that I do IRL more. 

If there were a way to make the ring (plastic holder or not truthfully) face the camera with the shank behind it and go in a circle from that face on to the bottom of the shank (while going down the side) I'd be sold. 

I haven't seen ring holders like what I'm thinking of, but if you got icing tips in white plastic to test out, that is exactly what I'm thinking the rings need to be mounted on (though clear or black)
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline sherylsbuys

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2015, 10:06:23 PM »
Hi David,
It's great that you are always investing in new camera technology.  I agree with you and everyone else that the plastic ring holder is a big distraction to my eye. Also, I was wondering if you could get an anti-vibration table so the camera doesn't move when you or anyone else walks by.  Thanks for all of the great pics and videos.  It really helps the buying experience from afar.

See you on May 4th and 5th! I can't wait to visit NYC and DBL!!!

Sheryl

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2015, 01:40:35 AM »
Have fun!

Offline sherylsbuys

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2015, 02:35:06 PM »
I will, OMC!  You can count on it! ;)

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2015, 12:05:09 PM »
As usual,  I'm late to the party. 
Really cool technology, at least for unset stones.

Any chance you're taking requests for stones to play with, D?

I would dearly love to see both R5308 and R3886 do the circle dance.  As well as any asscher or em cut you like.  I'm fascinated by how clearly you can see all through a stone - Not to mention getting a very clear picture of the cut.
Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Auntie Dammit :Heart: DBL!

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2015, 07:36:20 PM »
As usual,  I'm late to the party. 
Really cool technology, at least for unset stones.

Any chance you're taking requests for stones to play with, D?

I would dearly love to see both R5308 and R3886 do the circle dance.  As well as any asscher or em cut you like.  I'm fascinated by how clearly you can see all through a stone - Not to mention getting a very clear picture of the cut.
Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hi Auntie, I hope you're doing well- you're in our hearts...

I can comply with the Asscher request:)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrs2Fi4cj1E" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrs2Fi4cj1E</a>

David

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2015, 04:15:24 PM »
We are now working on the technology that will allow users to grab the diamond mis spin...
Like this:
http://cutwise.com/stone/35_r5955?format=video360Girdle
David