Author Topic: Interesting jewelry experience!  (Read 10349 times)

Offline Diamondluvr

Interesting jewelry experience!
« on: March 27, 2007, 11:54:12 AM »
I just wanted to say something about how uneducated some jewelers are with colored diamonds.

I had taken some pieces to my local jewelers over a week ago to either sell them out right or consign at there shop.  I had left the jewelry with them to look it over and come up with pricing per piece.  Well I got a call today from them about the $ amount they were going to offer me.

I seriously had to laugh, I know that you aren't going to come close to what you paid for the pieces.  But OMG I was actually offended with their offer.

They said that the yellow diamonds, people would just think that they were 'bad' color stones unless they took the time to educate them on what they were buying--isn't that what they are suppose to do anyway!!!---Good grief! 

Interesting >:D
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 12:10:33 PM by Diamondluvr »
She has spent her life best... who has enjoyed it most.

Offline annie1

• Administrator
Re: Interesting jewelry experience!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 12:04:41 PM »
It really is a shame - I've had people ask me "What is it?" in reference to my yellow.  I think a lot of it depends on your part of the country.  Here in Wisconsin, I've never seen another colored diamond.  I would think in some areas they would be a little more common though...

Once people learn about them though, they're always interested.   
:duckie:  Annie  :duckie:
DBL Technical assistant, CDI Moderator
Check out DBL's new items!

Offline Diamondluvr

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 12:08:07 PM »
Very true annie, I know that it certainly depends on ones exposure to colored diamonds and they are rare, but I know that when I was first educated on them, I became very interested in them. ;D

Offline BigRed

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 12:45:22 PM »
Most people just don't get it! But a jeweler....come on.....I would expect better then that from someone that is in the profession of diamonds. Some parts of Charlotte people would recognize my stone in a heart beat but five minutes either way and you get people who ask.....is that a topaz? David has made us ahead of most people when it comes to diamonds. He is so good at describing a good stone and the rarity of certain colors. We are like mini experts but without the certification!
DBL's One and only Rose Gold Queen!!!!!

Offline diamondjunkie

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 01:01:05 PM »
Remember that a jeweler in the business of buying second hand pieces will more than likely be equipped with many a verbal volley to ensure he virtually 'steals' it from you.  I know - I worked for one of them and was often mortified at what he would pay people for their pieces.  He would always knock down the piece, the stones and the owner's idea of what it could be sold for.

Having said that, someone once asked if my diamond was a peridot.  Me being me, I threw my head back in a huge laugh, smiled at her and said, "Oh no - that's a yellow diamond!"  She had hold of my hand in a millisecond!

Snooper

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 01:54:10 PM »
WOW!!! The ladies here who all have a yellow diamond know that they look NOTHING like a gemstone!! N O T H I N G!!! The only thing I can add to what has been said is that, let the jewelers think this, so we can continue to have a rare diamond.  We don't want everyone knowing about them or they'll be in demand! LOL

Ok, not sure if that last bit is true... :)

This reminds me of that diamond myth thread about how someone was told a white diamond is less valuable than one w/ some tint!! HOGWASH!!

Offline Diamondluvr

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 02:26:03 PM »
We at CDI definitely get a great education on colored diamonds from David! 

I thought that is was interesting that the jeweler in one breath says "great pieces" and in the another says " they only have value if we take the stones out to reuse"  I could see through the game with knocking down each piece, making one think they are worthless, knowing that if I went back in they would have a large price tag on most of them.  Maybe this works on some, but not me :)

Offline CaratHead

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 09:49:45 PM »
I hoped you laughed in his face, picked up your baubles, and strode out confidently with a flip of your hair...
So many ballgames, so little time...

Offline acebruin

• My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 09:51:56 PM »
i would love to see the look on his face after you do that...  :laughing4:

FoxyandSexy

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 12:06:13 PM »
That's really sad Diamondluvr! I agree with DJ though. I think they knew full well what they were worth, but THEY just wanted to make more $$$ on your pieces. And I agree with CH too. I hope you grabbed your stuff & RAN!! I'm sure you'll have better success & make more money in the Classifieds.

:Heart: Amy

P.S. I've had a few people say, "Is that an amethyst??" when they see my purple heart. I'm like, Ummm, NO! It's a VERY RARE diamond! But I don't care what people think. I know what it is & I know it's worth!!!!

Offline GIAGirl

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2007, 09:58:22 PM »

P.S. I've had a few people say, "Is that an amethyst??" when they see my purple heart. I'm like, Ummm, NO! It's a VERY RARE diamond! But I don't care what people think. I know what it is & I know it's worth!!!![/color]
[/quote]

NO WAY!  You have a purple heart!!!!  I WANT TO SEEEEE!!!!!

Offline NolaD

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 10:22:39 AM »
Just sounds like they were trying to lowball you. They probably know how much your gemstones are worth. Tell them you'll go to another jeweler and see how they react!  >:D

Offline Dot

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 03:29:54 PM »
I know this thread is a couple of years old but as a contrast of how I think people's knowledge of colored diamonds are changing,
I have a 1.6ct round concave cut morganite (cut by Richard Homer) It's set in a diamond pave solitaire setting and I'm frequently asked if it's a pink diamond.  (to which I laugh and inform them it's a morganite and have to explain what a morganite is)

Offline saqsay1

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 05:10:45 PM »
I think yellow diamonds are rare enough (on the street) to have people wondering what they are. I have had my fancy yellow DBL pear for several months now and only a couple of people have asked me if it was a yellow diamond. most say "oh, what is that?" or "I like your ring". Even I, the  (ahem  ::)) experienced jewelry salesperson, had ever seen one before I bought a Y-Z colored stone from David. most jewelry stores don't carry them except for the more exclusive stores. Irradiated not included  >:D
"If the US government were placed in control of the Sahara Desert, it would run out of sand in 25 years."

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2010, 05:21:25 PM »
I think yellow diamonds are rare enough (on the street) to have people wondering what they are. I have had my fancy yellow DBL pear for several months now and only a couple of people have asked me if it was a yellow diamond. most say "oh, what is that?" or "I like your ring". Even I, the  (ahem  ::)) experienced jewelry salesperson, had ever seen one before I bought a Y-Z colored stone from David. most jewelry stores don't carry them except for the more exclusive stores. Irradiated not included  >:D
I so agree with this.  I've had friends ask me what kind of stone I have (Y-Z as well).  Fortunately the two trusted jewelers I use for local things both did well by saying that it was a beautiful yellow diamond and what shade was it?  One was totally shocked that it wasn't at least a fancy light yellow.  The other grabbed my hand and said "Let me look at that" then going on to how nice it was.  She showed me her faint green.  The not so good stores, well some just say "oh we don't sell those"  I did get a good comment at Tiffany and how they were going to start carrying more yellows regularly.

In general I've seen very few natural colored diamonds though quite a few irradiated.

I still love it and love being a bit "different"
Squiggly

Offline DiamondsAreForever

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2010, 05:52:19 PM »
I know this thread is a couple of years old but as a contrast of how I think people's knowledge of colored diamonds are changing,
I have a 1.6ct round concave cut morganite (cut by Richard Homer) It's set in a diamond pave solitaire setting and I'm frequently asked if it's a pink diamond.  (to which I laugh and inform them it's a morganite and have to explain what a morganite is)

Dot, you can throw them for a loop even more by calling it a pink emerald.   :snicker: