Author Topic: Heirloom Jewelry Redos ... Thoughts?  (Read 1481 times)

Offline Trinkette

Heirloom Jewelry Redos ... Thoughts?
« on: July 31, 2014, 11:30:06 AM »
One group is taking heirloom jewelry then reinterpreting and reworking the original designs for resale as reinvented jewelry. I was intrigued. Then, I admit, slightly disappointed when I saw a few of their "deconstructed" pieces. I mean really, how much thought does it take to split a ring in half? My take on this is: good idea, however, so far, the design execution is weak (no wonder they're not giving out their names to media)! I'm curious to hear what you all think, both on the specifics of these pieces, as well as the deconstruct/redesign concept in general.

http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/07/30/maison-martin-margiela-turns-heirloom-jewelry-including-the-classic-engagement-ring-on-its-ear/?_php=true&_type=blogs&emc=edit_tnt_20140731&eml_thmb=1&nlid=65408857&tntemail0=y&_r=0

Offline dovesgate

Re: Heirloom Jewelry Redos ... Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 12:52:20 PM »
The only one I liked was the necklace with sapphire and halo pendants. The rest just look destroyed, though I am sure that is not their intent. It is likely other people can appreciate their designs. It's not my cup of tea.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 12:52:40 PM by dovesgate »

Online oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 07:19:11 PM »
The idea of "redesigning" is interesting - if not new. Cartier was redesigning the family jewellery of various maharajas in the 1910s and 20s, Van Cleef did the same for the Shah in the '50s, various Aga Khans had pieces redone from the 1910s to the 1970s (that I know of; maybe the current one had something refashioned yesterday), but the idea of deconstruction is "Bah. Humbug." in my honest opinion. Particularly if carried out like on the pieces shown.

On the other hand, I found the fact that Trinkette (AKA "T" sometimes) referred to an article on "T Magazine" rather amusing.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 07:20:44 PM by oldmancoyote »

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 08:13:25 AM »
Not very original looking is it?  I mean it's just the same idea over and over again.  I'd pass.

I am all for reinventing vintage pieces though.  I've seen quite a few cool pieces created from items of old.
Elaine aka Squiggly
elaine@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline saqsay1

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 06:18:52 PM »
Have chainsaw, willing to travel.  ;D
"If the US government were placed in control of the Sahara Desert, it would run out of sand in 25 years."

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 06:56:15 PM »
Have chainsaw, willing to travel.  ;D
LOL
Elaine aka Squiggly
elaine@diamondsbylauren.com