Author Topic: Does ANYONE like PayPal?  (Read 11558 times)

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
Does ANYONE like PayPal?
« on: November 11, 2009, 01:11:15 PM »
HI everyone!
I wanted to post a thread discussing PayPal, and the how that works...or actually does not.
I have had horrible experiences in dealing with Paypal.

Basically, repeated attempts to reach a human being at PayPal only end up in frustration. Just trying to find a phone number can take hours.
Once you do, it's incredibly difficult just to get someone on the phone. After hours of trying, and you finally get someone on the phone, they are not able to take any action to assist.

Imagine a consumer who'd made a purchase using PayPal, and had some problem.
If it was paid directly using a credit card, it's a simple matter to get the credit card company to intercede on the consumer's behalf.
If you're looking for PayPal to step in on your behalf....well, have you got 6 months to wait?

To make matters worse, eBay now owns PayPal.
Now, if you want to list an item on eBay UK, you MUST accept Paypal.
Freaking extortion Aggressive on eBay's part, right?

To make horrible matter even worse, a jewelry merchant will have to wait up to two months to collect the funds in full.

I really feel that eBay has us over a barrel as we have alot of friends and clients in the UK.
The bottom line here is that since we need to be included on eBay UK,  we've again started to accept PayPal on a limited number of listings BUT- we've added about 10% to the selling price to cover the cost of the high commission and the problems.

For those reading this, it's no problem at all. We have not increased the DBL prices by even one penny.
Bottom line, please make sure you look at the item's price on the DBL site to get the real bottom line.

It's a shame we can't discuss this on the eBay listings themselves- as I would hate for someone to actually pay the higher price...but we can't risk having someone pay by PayPal before talking to us.

Any ideas from our wonderful CDi audience will be greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 01:12:28 PM by Diamondsbylauren »
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
Re: Does ANYONE like PayPal?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 01:53:59 PM »
The situation seems to be unfair and wrong on so many levels.

I think the long wait before the vendor receives their money is particularly unfair- Paypal are using your money to underwrite their dispute process. Might be ok for a high volume / drop shipping business where you don't have all of your money tied up in stock, but for smaller, more personal businesses, I think that's harsh.

I don't see how you can get round it, since you're not going to be able to mention the situation on Ebay listings.

You have my sympathy, but I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions.

Jen
Customer Service Associate
jennifer@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline rio

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 02:35:49 PM »
Paypal can be very heavy handed. You either use the service. or find a way around paypal.

Rio

Offline Mikla

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 02:53:08 PM »
As a consumer, I'd like to know what the benefit is of using PayPal versus just using your credit card directly (assuming you have a credit card, of course).  The only thing I can think of is anonymity.  Do they respond better to consumers?  Do they refund your money or issue you a temporary credit until a dispute is resolved?

Mikla
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 03:04:53 PM by Mikla »
Diamonds make me jump for joy! :bliss:

My Gallery Images

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 04:42:11 PM »
The answer is no to all of your questions, except to the first one, where it is none. Apart from the very dubious advantage of anonymity (which, to be honest, is only useful if the vendor/payee is slightly less than honest).

Offline joia

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 03:05:28 PM »
I buy a lot of small things that I canīt get in Portugal and I use paypal and I find that as far as the buyer is concerned it is very useful.
There are so many sites that you buy and just push the right buttons and your receipt is in your hands.
That of course is the buyerīs point of view, the sellerīs of course is quite different and I can definitely see that it has its disadvantages.
I have never sold anything on ebay, I am afraid I was born to be a buyer not a seller, but so far my experience has been good.
I only had one problem and didnīt receive an item to do with photography and I did get my money refunded as I paid, as always with the Pay now button linked to paypal.

Offline GeorgeIV

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 02:50:03 PM »
I actually do like Paypal.  As a buyer.  I buy a lot of antique china on Ebay, and such merchandise is often misrepresented by sellers as to condition, resulting in a buyer paying for something he did not receive.  This was a huge problem at first, and it kept getting worse. Both Ebay and Paypal now have what they call their "Buyer Protection Plan", which is very helpful in reaching resolution in such cases, and I have used this plan successfully on a number of occasions.  Prior to these "Buyer Protection Plans," a buyer was at the mercy of the seller in such cases, and unscrupulous sellers regularly ripped off buyers.  The seller held all of the cards, so-to-speak.  This threatened the basic business model of Ebay, and so Ebay developed the BPP to level the playing field.  Unfortunately for sellers, it tipped the scale in the other direction, and now buyers are sometimes using the BPP to obtains refunds and then return to the seller something other than what they bought (and of less value).  Kind of messy.  Bottom line: Sight-unseen buying is rarely the best option but, as another reply indicated, sometimes it is the only one available.  Ebay knows the system isn't perfect, but it's what they have.  Everything they do that you don't like, they do to counter people's constant efforts to rip each other off, and I'm sure that if you think of a better way to conduct the business that they're in, they'd love to hear from you.

Offline Debangel

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 03:52:55 PM »
Aaargh!  Well, you can't mention the lower prices on the PayPal listings, but you *can* encourage membership in the CDi forum, right? Could you also mention there that membership has its privileges?  :)

Snowy

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 12:03:18 AM »
There's a new version of Paypal by Visa called V.Me. I wonder if that's any better. But as a consumer I like to think that the merchant isn't just able to charge me extra (I believe that they are allowed though and I've just never run into that issue) or have my credit card number and information on file. If possible for online purchases I like keeping as much personal information as private as possible. Not to mention there's the option of having a mediator for any disputes even though I've never had to use that option so I'm not sure how helpful they are.