Author Topic: Oh Where Does One Begin???  (Read 3571 times)

Offline GracefulLion

Oh Where Does One Begin???
« on: February 22, 2007, 01:34:49 AM »
At the beginning, but that starts before DBL.

With a lot of frustration.  And, I apologize, but looking back at what I wrote, this is going to be long. . .

I come from a family of jewelers and jewel fanatics.  My great-grandfather, one of my favorite men on earth, even though he passed away when I was only 6 or 7, had a jewelry shop on Canal Street in NYC.  He brought my great uncles and my grandfather into the business with them, but only one stuck with it and the rest moved to LA.  I had always assumed I would go to my great uncle when it was time for me to get engaged, but unfortunately, during an attempted robbery in his store he killed the thief and was never the same, so he sold the shop and retired shortly thereafter.

When I was getting engaged, all I knew to trust was Tiffany.  My best friend told me we should go to pick out my favorite style and she would direct my then boyfriend in the right direction.  I fell in love with the Lucida.  Alas, DB figured out what we were up to, and told me that when his father had passed away his mother had made him promise that he would use her engagement ring when he was ready to propose to someone.  How could I say no that?  I held my breath, and it was fine.  Small and kind of worn looking, but fine, and I was just thrilled we were getting married.

However, and this is where my wackiness comes in, for many reasons I was feeling some icky karma related to my ER.  So, the second we got married I abandoned it for my wedding band only.  Still, the desire to have an ER I loved grew and grew.  I started searching on ebay and fell in love with a fancy yellow cushion with trilliants.  I grabbed it.  However, DH was very hurt that I had purchased it without him.  I loved the ring and wore it for a few months, but I never got past feeling his hurt, so I sold it.

This ate me up.  The seller I bought it from did not have anything similar and was not particularly helpful in finding something similar for the same price.  Thus began ebay search after ebay search.  I found a beautiful 1.34 W-X stone with trilliants from DBL.  I did not know these people from Adam, but their ads rang honest (and fun!) and, as I was learning more and more about diamonds, it was very important to me that they stressed GIA reports.  I started to learn a lot from their guides and tutorials as well.  The stone was too light for me, so I returned it for a 1.74 Y-Z.  Still too light, I made one more switch, this time to a 1.58 FLY.  At every bend, David and Marc were dolls to speak with and so flexible about my changing mind.

A year or so into wearing this ring, I really wanted to go even darker.  I had seen some fancy brownish yellow stones that seemed to make the color pop for much less cash than the fancy intenses and fancy vivids.  Several google searches later, I happened upon what is now my 2.21 fancy brownish yellow cushion with half moons.  It was located in a forum rather than on ebay, which is why it took me longer to find.  It was love at first sight and I bought it on the spot.  David was so much fun to deal with and helped me out with selling my FLY by giving me pictures and other advice.  After time spent getting to know him, Webmistress and other friends online, I knew this was it for me.  DH met David in NYC and loved him, so the deal is sealed.  I have found my personal jeweler!  I know this sounds extreme, but it is a long-time wish come true for me!!!! (play violins now. . .)

Since then, I have purchased my yellow halos (which David custom-made to my specifications and I could not be thrilled), and as of tomorrow I will have my old .80 ct RB back reset into a DBL halo, along with my new 2 ct faint brown cushion.     

Other than the fact that I will get no sleep tonight due to the anticipation, I am one happy lady!!!!!

[attachment older than 120 days deleted by admin]

Snooper

Re: Oh Where Does One Begin???
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 01:41:14 AM »
Wow thank you for sharing! I'm glad your husband was willing to let you find an ER that would make you not have ill feelings towards it.  Your FBY ER is just exquisite! And I can't wait to see your new halo and cushion!!!! I'm still blinded by your earrings!  8)

Offline diamondjunkie

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 11:45:50 AM »
I know it must have been emotionally draining to go through all the palava with your ER but it led you to DBL and this forum!  We are so glad to have you here!  I am anxiously awaiting pics of your new pieces - 2 rings in one day!  DANG!

FoxyandSexy

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 12:23:41 PM »
I love your collection GL!!!!!! My fave is your FBY Cushion! I love that color & hope to get one someday too.

I'm so glad your search led you to DBL & these forums. You're always fun to talk to.

I can't wait until your RINGS arrive! I'm so excited for you.

:) Amy

Offline annie1

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 12:27:57 PM »
Great story and wonderful collection GL!

I really want earrings like yours one day  ;D ;D
:duckie:  Annie  :duckie:
DBL Technical assistant, CDI Moderator
Check out DBL's new items!

Offline WM

• CDI Member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 01:14:55 PM »
I gotta catch up.

Offline Piglette

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 11:18:03 PM »
I really sympathize with you about your original ER -- that was sort of a first cousin to what I THOUGHT was going to happen with my engagement ring.  (Turned out that I loved the ring, however.  But that's another, much longer -- much, much, MUCH longer -- story.)

The new setting makes the ring YOURS...  Plus, it happens to be gorgeous!

« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 12:09:06 PM by diamondjunkie »

Offline luvnjewelry

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 06:44:10 PM »
Great Testimonial!  I just looove your DBL collection!   YOur FLBY is tops on my list....but now that you have the FLB cushion in rose gold....I just can't decide which one I love best! They are both so gorgeous for so many different reasons!    I said on another testimonial that if I won the lottery tomorrow, I would make an offer on several of you gals rings over and above what you paid for them.  These two would be on my "offer" list!   Of course I may have to consider those halos too.... 8)~Ronda