Author Topic: Re-setting ideas for R2823 (large Daussi)  (Read 3613 times)

Offline lishkare

Re-setting ideas for R2823 (large Daussi)
« on: February 27, 2014, 03:25:28 AM »
Hi Dear All:
It has been long (years!) since I posted to this forum.  You all might remember, I had bought R2823 for my darling wife for our 10th wedding anniversary.  We just celebrated our 13th so it has indeed been 3 years since I probably posted.  I will probably be back to David for our 15th.  Anyway, she absolutely loves her ring.  However, I wanted suggestions from this forum on how to enhance her enjoyment even further.  Those of you who remember the ring, it is a large Daussi with a lot of exposed surface area, both on the top and bottom.  The top accumulates some dirt but can be wiped off easily.  It is the bottom that accmulates more "stuff" and makes the diamond look dull (its almost like the edges of your car windscreen after a drive through snowy and salty roads).  Of course when we clean it, it is back to its fabulous self, so we do try to keep it clean (actually I do, for her!!).  One reason for the issue is because it is set very low.  While we both love the setting, and it would take a lot for us to change it (I am more willing to clean it often, than change the beautiful platinum setting), I wanted to pick everyones' brain on other settings (perhaps higher), that would keep the diamond away from the finger, and hence away from attracting stuff that accumulates on it.
Thanks a ton in advance.  I thought this would form a good discussion for these kinds of stones anyway.
Cheers!
Lishkare

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
Re: Re-setting ideas for R2823 (large Daussi)
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 08:09:36 AM »
Admittedly I don't think this setting is too low.  It is such a stunning one as well (this ring is completely unforgettable). 

I am curious about her wearing habits though.  Does she take it off to put on lotion, make up or even washing her hands?  Oddly even the latter can get my rings looking dirty quicker than you'd think.  Stuff always seems to get trapped after washing my hands underneath. 

I clean my rings about once a week which does help.

If I were to reset this stone, I would pick this one http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/semi-mount-ring-hand-forged-wide-split-double-shank-halo-so5077

I think a split shank like that would look amazing with that stone.  This setting would also make it probably a little easier to clean underneath whenever you would need to clean it.
Elaine aka Squiggly
elaine@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline Mikla

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 07:31:09 PM »
Oh!  This is the over-blue stone, right?  I wonder if there's a way to capitalize on the fluorescence.   ???
Diamonds make me jump for joy! :bliss:

My Gallery Images

Offline Sanchica27

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 09:52:05 PM »
I remember this ring too! Just buy a jewel jet. It's a steamer and I think it's around $100. Any step cut or similar diamond like your cushion will show dirt easily no matter what. Mine does and it's well above my finger. Steam clean away!
always saving up for my next piece!

Offline lishkare

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 10:30:55 PM »
Dear Clgwli, thanks so much for the split shank recommendation.  It is indeed a good idea, something to keep in mind if we do re-set.  On wearing habits, she does tend to cook, clean and wash, with her rings on, so that would explain the grime.  I will advise her to take them off when she does those things.  The trick is to keep them safe if you remove them when not at home.  There have been a couple times she has lost other rings only to find them in a bag she hadnít used for a while, and where she would have kept the ring "very safely".  Cleaning regularly seems to be the best middle ground. 

Dear Sanchica27, Thanks for the great idea of a jewel jet.  After having lived in the US for 12 years, I now live in India, so I am not sure it is available locally.  I do travel to the US for work often so can get one when I am there but one has to be careful with the voltage.  You get voltage converters, but things tend to go bust after a while because of the voltage fluctuation in India.  We eventually lost all the electronic gadgets we brought back from the US to India.  I think a good alternative is a steamer that one uses for colds.  Maybe one can put the rings in a "tea strainer thingy.......one of those metal thingys in which you put loose leaf tea and dunk in hot water".  The steamer shoots out a jet of hot steam, so if you hold the rings close to that jet, I think it should do the job.  of course a good old brush, warm water and mild soap would also do the job.  nevertheless, great suggestion thanks.

I thought I would post some more eye candy of her ring.  BUT THANKS A TON FOR REMEMBERING THE RING, we feel so important that our fellow forum members would remember this ring after years.  I can never forger David's comment that this stone looks like a "JEWEL OUT OF A CROWN".  It is truly one of a kind.  You can get diamonds, and you can get diamonds, but you will be hard pressed to find a 3 CT diamond that looks like a 5 CT, is a M, but sometimes even looks like a D, and glows bluish, purplish, violetish (are those words???......who cares, they sound mysterious........befitting R2823) in daylight!  Can you tell we love our treasure!   

Offline lishkare

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 10:36:13 PM »
Sorry Mikla, forgot to respond to your reply.  That is a great thought, one could capitalize on the fluorescence, perhaps by having some colored diamonds (pink??) in a halo around it.  maybe even a double halo, with pink inside, yellow outside, and a split shank in white diamonds.  That would be some ring, but she loves big rings!

Hey also forgot to mention, not sure if you guys remember, but notice R2823's sister, my wife's 3.15 CT pave set pear next to her.  She wears both, one in each hand, and usually one of her large emerald/diamond or ruby/diamond rings, in her cocktail ring finger, on her right hand.  She seldom fails to get complements on her rings!   

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 01:37:19 AM »
Hi Lishkare, welcome back!

She seldom fails to get complements on her rings!

You don't say, Mr Lishkare? ;D

From the way you describe the "local" steamer, it's not at all different from a dedicated jewellery one, and if it is built to be more resistant to Indian AC vagaries, why not?

One more thought in terms of "keeping clean but avoiding loss": what about getting a nice thin platinum neckchain where DW can hang both rings safely, yet without getting them dirty during the grimiest tasks?

Perhaps someone can devise a sort of "quick release" mechanism so that putting the rings onto the chain and taking them off won't even require unfastening the chain from the neck  and yet will look pretty when the chain is being worn without the rings. For example, a number of relatively thick loops shaped like keyring loops, but quite "open", so that taking the ring on and off is easy, yet accidental loss is difficult, and it looks contrasting and decorative when there is no ring/
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 01:37:54 AM by oldmancoyote »

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 11:06:02 AM »
Hi Lishkare,

I have absolutely NOTHING to add here. I love the ring you got from D for your wife, and was ecstatic to see a few new pix of it.  Just sayin'...
Auntie Dammit :Heart: DBL!

Offline Sanchica27

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 08:59:46 PM »
Ring holder necklaces exist! Behold! http://www.emilyc.com/
always saving up for my next piece!

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 12:32:35 AM »
Me Likey, Sanchica.  What a novel way to keep track of your rings.  If one travels extensively, I can see a real benefit to picking up this habit.
Auntie Dammit :Heart: DBL!

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2014, 02:28:12 PM »
Ring holder necklaces exist! Behold! http://www.emilyc.com/

Very interesting! Thank you, Sanchica!

(Good application of topology theory, BTW)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 02:29:32 PM by oldmancoyote »