Author Topic: Price for FIY Diamond  (Read 2746 times)

Offline Ramod

Price for FIY Diamond
« on: February 24, 2014, 01:36:25 PM »
Hi guys,

Been lurking on DBL for a little bit, looking at the selection. In the market for a 2+ carat FIY cushion or radiant cut as an engagement ring, so still shopping around. Found a diamond, and just wanted your guys opinion on what price it should be:

GIA report:
2.38 carat
FIY
Cushion modified brilliant
VS1, no flouro
VG polish
G symmetry
66% table
68% depth

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
Re: Price for FIY Diamond
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 05:53:27 PM »
HI Ramrod,
Welcome to CDI!
First, pricing: When it comes to a specific stone's price, there's no way to make an educated guess, without having the stone in hand.
I'm going to go out on a ledge here and say straight out- our photos are heads and shoulders above the one you posted- especially as we show the diamond in different lighting, etc.
But even with our photos, I'd be hard pressed to evaluate a diamond for price.

Availability-  as the owner, I very much appreciate your post- it is an opportunity to have you become one of our very valued clients.
Please feel free to contact me directly, we'll be more than happy to get a stone that will compete in terms of price, and send complete photos
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline Ramod

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 05:03:58 AM »
Hey David,

Tried contacting you via email a couple times but haven't gotten a reply. Wanting to see if you can source out a diamond for me.

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 07:18:57 AM »
I just sent you an e-mail via the boards here.   Hopefully you will get it & we can get a reply (gave my work e-mail) to me soon.

Not sure what happened to your e-mails either but I apologize no one has gotten back to you.  It surely wasn't intentional :)
Elaine aka Squiggly
elaine@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 06:03:15 PM »
Hi Ramod,
I did get one stone in today- but was not impressed with the cut.
Please give me a call as we've been inundated with email- a good thing for us- but I hate that it takes a while to answer.
Phone calls are more immediate.....
David

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 08:12:09 PM »
By the way- this is a bad time to look for an important diamond in New York City- there's an big trade show in Hong Kong- so a lot of goods that would normally be here are not.....
The specific category of 2ct Intense Yellow is affected greatly by this.
The goods will get back in about 10 days time

As a general rule: Medium or strong blue affects the price greatly- and truth is, in fancy yellow diamonds, there's more reason than in colorless.
That is to say a higher percentage of diamonds graded Fancy Light, Fancy Yellow or Fancy Intense Yellow GIA that are also graded medium or strong Blue diamonds show some sort of affect that is less than desirable.
Having said that- some of the strongest colored yellow diamonds are indeed medium or strong blue- but it's a rare percentage.

About the diamond that came in today....
it's actually got a lot of strong points
Fancy Intense Yellow VVS2
VG/G
None

Good strong color.
Its not suitable for your call- I got it in to see if we wanted to buy it for stock

It performs well with regards to light performance concerns you voiced earlier- but the shape is slightly asymmetrical- and it's quite bottom heavy

Just doesn't "float my boat" at a sell price of $27k
This goes to how diamonds are best bought- at one's leisure.  Wait to find special stones when they come onto the market, then buy them for stock when that happens.
I realize we don't all have that choice in terms of waiting to purchase.

Maybe the field will be richer week after next.....

btw- have you looked at this one? That's a stone we purchased due to the fact it's an amazing specimen of Fancy Yellow 2+ct

David