Author Topic: Long time, no talk!  (Read 1125 times)

Offline SaoriViola

Long time, no talk!
« on: February 04, 2014, 06:53:50 PM »
Hi all, it's been a really long time! Motherhood temporarily overtook the jewelry parts of my brain. Anyways, I'm excited to jump back in. My MIL is looking to upgrade her ring again, and I'm hoping to be able to upgrade my set as well!

In addition to the upgrades, my dad wants to buy my stepmom a wedding ring for their 1 year anniversary but she's never been a fan of rings. She's very thin and so her knuckles are bigger than her fingers so rings always spin. I know you all will know how we can fix this problem! Would some little balls on the inside of the shank do it?

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
Re: Long time, no talk!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 09:14:24 PM »
Great to see you SV- and parent hood in general, changes everything- spoken as a non female parent.... I can't imagine how much it changes things for the mommy.....

Abp tthe finger size question, yes- small balls soldered into the ring sound like the ticket.
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 03:15:32 AM »
Hey, SV, welcome back!

Same principle, but depending on shank thickness (and finger thinness), rounded bars are also useful:
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 03:16:02 AM by oldmancoyote »

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 11:39:31 AM »
OOOh, I'd never seen rounded bars like that, OMC.  Interesting. 

Welcome back, SV!  Glad things are going well in your neck of the woods.  I use balls on all my rings. I have some arthritis in my  knuckles and the balls allow for getting the ring over the knuckle (what a weird word) and stay in place (eg diamond side up) during most wear.

Auntie Dammit :Heart: DBL!

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 11:49:58 AM »
Great to see you SV.  Obviously other have addressed the ball thing in the rings, but I just had to say so glad to see you here.

Are you able to share what the upgrade plans are or are you still mostly just planning right now?
Elaine aka Squiggly
elaine@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline SaoriViola

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 03:33:16 PM »
Thanks all! So glad to be back. Was hoping to get my MIL's ring started soon but FIL's mom took a turn for the worse so they had to go to Houston today. Hopefully they'll be back by the weekend but couldn't say for sure.

For dad's project, is there also a way to shape the ring so that it won't spin? I think I've seen a D shaped shank or something like that?

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 04:14:11 PM »
You can do the same "inside job", or use a Euro shank (which I guess may be what you are referring to):

Offline SaoriViola

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 06:38:24 PM »
Thanks OMC.  My dad says she's super sensitive and doesn't want anything poking her, so the balls are a no-go. He says she doesn't want anything "big" which I guess means she doesn't want a center stone at all, and an eternity band looks like the best option at this point. Will see.

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 07:01:39 PM »
Rolling ring?  That way if it is spins it's doing its job ;)
Elaine aka Squiggly
elaine@diamondsbylauren.com