Author Topic: red diamond  (Read 3019 times)

Offline makanudu

red diamond
« on: January 20, 2014, 07:22:40 PM »
Hi all, about 5 weeks ago I purchased a large job lot of silver jewellery from a high end auction house.. in amongst the large lot of jewellery a stunning ring stood out amongst all the other jewellery. I have sold all the silver jewellery but kept the ring as it looked interesting to say the least. The ring has turned out to be platinum with London hallmarks for 1981 with makers stamp that very much looks like MC and of course the orb with a cross on top in house shape. The ring has three 1.5 ct stones in a very beautiful setting. There are two 1.5 ct red stones either side of a  1.5 ct clear stone. Before I take the ring to a certified gemologist I would like some idea if I will make a fool of myself. It does look like the centre clear stone is a replacement at some stage in its life and is not a diamond only reaching about 7 on the diamond tester scale. how ever the two original red stones are flying off the diamond tester scale on all red diamond scales. The other point I would make is that the platinum claws or prongs on the stones are seriously set with each claw or prong being a triple making the red stones absolutely extra secure. why would the maker use this setting if the red stones were not diamonds. I first thought they were rubys but they are red not the ruby colour. This really is a very ornate and high quality platinum ring and is simply stunning. My opinion is the reason the auction house missed this ring is that because of the silver colour they just tested the centre gemstone and as it did not test positive for diamond put the ring in a job lot of silver jewellery and not testing the two red outer stones. I am new to the forum but not jewellery. if there is any interest in my plight I will upload some photos of the ring.. makanudu

Offline ah2bqat

Re: red diamond
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 01:50:47 AM »
First, welcome to the forum, makanudu.  

I could not imagine our crew being anything but ecstatic to see this surprise treasure.  We love to see extraordinary finds or favorite pieces.  Please do post photos and any other information you have.

What are your plans?  Do you intend to send the ring, or stones, to GIA to ascertain if they are diamonds and what their color and grades are?   Would you consider replacing the center stone with a diamond?

This sounds like a fascinating little conundrum.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 01:56:02 AM by ah2bqat »
Auntie Dammit :Heart: DBL!

Offline makanudu

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 02:03:03 AM »
Thank you for your reply, I will be taking some photo's today and attempt some posting later this evening and hopefully it will give a better idea of the quality of the platinum ring.

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 05:47:15 AM »
Looking forward to seeing photos...

FWIW, don't discount ruby - it's a fine stone, and it can vary a lot in colour (and price!). Also, I'm puzzled by the replacement of the centre: a 1.50 natural red diamond would be worth tens if not hundreds of times an equivalent colourless stone, so if anything I'd expect the original owner to sell the sides before they sold the centre.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 04:24:59 PM by oldmancoyote »

Offline lovecolor

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 08:06:36 AM »
Hi makanudu   :hello:  ,

I'm looking forward to seeing your ring...the fact that these stones were put in a platinum setting and not sterling silver like the others makes your treasure conquest even more exciting!  I hope it's what you're thinking...but even if they are rubies...that could still make the ring valuable and me...very happy if it was mine!    ;)

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 09:03:52 AM »
I would love to see the ring as well.

I also wouldn't discount ruby though.  Rubies can range a little in color to a point.  I was getting my watch repaired years ago and overheard another lady in there wanting an appraisal on her "ruby"  Sadly while it was sold as a ruby, it was really just considered by the gemologist to be a pink sapphire and not worth near as much as a true ruby.  Sometimes what people try to sell as ruby isn't quite right.  Rubies can be stunning in color.

Though if you have a loupe you might be able to tell the difference due to the type of refraction. 

Personally while I would love to see photos, I would just take it to a qualified appraiser and have them tell you what it is.  If you go in just saying "I want more information on this ring" you won't look like a fool.
Elaine aka Squiggly
elaine@diamondsbylauren.com

Online Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 11:30:10 AM »
HI Everyone!

A 1.50 ct Natural Fancy Red Diamond would be worth at least 5 million bucks- if one existed- which I don't believe it does.
Red is the rarest of all colors in diamonds.....
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline makanudu

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 01:27:35 PM »
Hi all , thank you for all your interesting and informative replies. I am having trouble uploading the 14 pictures I have taken today.. I have tried individual photos but they are just to large.. I have compressed all into a zip folder but again this is to large.. I will keep trying but I think as this is my first attempt on here I will need some advice.. makanudu

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 01:41:52 PM »
Easiest way is for you to upload to a web sharing service such as Photobucket, Picasa or even Facebook.

If you prefer, mail me the ZIP at davide@diamondsbylauren.com and I'll post them through my Photobucket account.

Offline makanudu

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 01:53:05 PM »
Thank you I will try the email and give it a go.. makanudu

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 04:00:19 PM »
Aaannd here they are!

makanudu - please let me know if you want them in any particular order or you want any shots out.

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 04:06:03 PM »
FWIW, my bet is the following:

It's a copy of a ring from the 1910-1915 age, where the central stone - whatever it was - has been replaced by a CZ.

The sides are rubies, and if they copied the period they may well be synthetic, since they had just been introduced on the market and were very popular.  Not uncommon to find synthetics in high quality pieces of jewellery of the pre-WW I period, together with natural diamonds.

This said, it's a bet and not based on a serious gemmological analysis. A qualified gemmologist (not "just any jeweler") should be able to identify them for sure.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 04:09:26 PM by oldmancoyote »

Offline lovecolor

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 04:13:18 PM »
OMC, did Rubellite Tourmaline cross your mind at all?  That's what came to my mind when I saw the pictures.   :dontknow:

Offline makanudu

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 04:36:30 PM »
Hi, thank you for uploading my photo's of the ring as I was unable to do this.. if it is any help the platinum ring is hallmarked for London 1981 with makers stamp that looks like MC ...

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 06:54:55 PM »
Pretty. I love three-stone rings like that. Great size and gorgeous purplish-red colored gems. My first thoughts were rubellite or synthetic ruby. Obviously, one can only guess from photos. It would be fabulous if they turn out to be natural rubies. And although not as rare, good rubellite would be lovely to have as well!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 06:57:46 PM by Trinkette »

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2014, 07:05:30 PM »
My gut thought looking at the photos was either ruby or synthetic ruby. 

I cannot tell from the photos, but are the red stones scratched in any way or nicked up somewhat?  Older synthetic rubies (and sapphire) were prone to scratches from what I have seen.  I have some older CZ/synthetics that held up well though.

You stated it was marked 1981 correct?  I could believe that as there are vintage qualities but the prong work screams more modern to me. 
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline DiamondsAreForever

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2014, 07:50:13 PM »
Pretty ring.

Offline makanudu

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2014, 01:54:59 AM »
hi all....the red stones are not scratched or chipped when looked at under a 10 x loupe and a 20 x loupe.. the central clear stone , the soft one, has several abrasions on the edgings and some central small chips.. the red stones, the very hard ones are very clean.  I have checked the date letter for the London assay office that is stamped on the platinum and confirm that it is 1981.. can anyone tell me about the off the scale readings of 10 +++++ on my diamond tester on the red stones compared to just about reaching 7 on the clear stone. are synthetic rubies just as hard as natural rubies and is my diamond tester unreliable showing such a hardness as it seems to indicate way above ruby on the meter.. all of you guys are great and I love your forum.. makanudu

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2014, 07:30:15 AM »
Why would it test as diamond?  The tester isn't 100% accurate most likely.  I have heard many times of rubies and sapphires testing as diamonds on an electronic tester.  Visually it's easy to tell the difference (IMO) between corundum and a diamond.  

At this point I think you should just go to a qualified gemologist.  I also think you should switch your thoughts to "are these real rubies, synthetics, lab created or another gemstone?"

My guess is ruby - real or not is another question.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 07:31:12 AM by clgwli »
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2014, 07:41:05 AM »
Synthetic ruby is as hard or possibly slightly harder than natural ruby (since the crystal lattice could be more regular than natural crystals, depending on the method used for synthesis).

If it is a 1980s ring (copy of an earlier design), 30-odd year old ruby kept in reasonable shape could well not show any abrasions.

Offline makanudu

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2014, 01:17:22 PM »
I thank everyone for their valuable input and all are a credit to this forum..i will return with the gemmologist appraisal.. again thank you
                   makanudu
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 04:31:52 PM by clgwli »

Offline makanudu

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2014, 01:37:40 PM »
a special thanks to OMC for uploading my photo's..   kind regards to you sir...makanudu

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2014, 03:33:52 PM »
 :geni: