Author Topic: Attaching/Uploading diamond ring photos  (Read 18200 times)

Offline WM

• CDI Member
Attaching/Uploading diamond ring photos
« on: January 30, 2007, 08:42:14 PM »
We love photos of our customers and their rings. I notice a new member had an error code when trying to post a photo. We can't have that on our forum!

By the way, this is not html photos but photos you upload from your computer.

So, under the box where you type your post see

Additional Options... and click the black arrow.

Go to attach, click browse and select your photo.  There is a link for more attachments, too.

If your photo is over 500 x 500 pixels, it will not upload and it will tell you the photo is too large. Photos of a certain KB are too big as well (I'll go back and find out what the kb is as I've forgotten)

If you get this code, you have to go in a photo editing program and reduce the size to something like a .gif or .jpg file. These files compress the image.

Most digital cameras save files very large so they will print pretty.  So most any photo taken with a digital camera would have to go in one of these programs.

Suggestions coming soon.

Also, if you guys would post what software you use to do this task.

I use Adobe Photoshop but it costs several hundred dollars and I don't think it's standard issue for most. There is a less expensive version of this that is pretty awesome called Adobe Photoshop Elements.

[attachment older than 120 days deleted by admin]

Offline diamondjunkie

Re: Attaching/Uploading diamond ring photos
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 07:28:28 AM »
Hi Flash!

I've been trying to upload some more pics of my new ring.  It let me do the first four but after that I get an error message of 'upload folder is full'.  I've checked the size of the files and they are fine.  In fact, some of the first 4 were larger than the next set.

What do I need to do?  Is there a limit on numbers of pics per thread?

Thanks!

DJ

Offline WM

• CDI Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 08:17:10 AM »
I think there is a limit. I'll go look.

Offline WM

• CDI Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 08:24:40 AM »
I upped the limit to 10 per post or was it thread? Anyway, if you need more, come back here and let me know. I can't make it unliimited because I have to check the server space and server load. And as we grow, I need to increase that and compress and archive some things.

We've not gotten to that point yet.

Offline diamondjunkie

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 08:28:40 AM »
Thanks Flash!  I'll let you know if I have any problems.

Offline diamondjunkie

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 08:33:06 AM »
It still comes up with the same error message.  All the files are well under the 128kb limit - most are 25-40kb.

This is what it says:

An Error Has Occurred!
The upload folder is full. Please try a smaller file and/or contact an administrator. 

Offline WM

• CDI Member
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 09:40:30 AM »
I'll take another look.

Offline WM

• CDI Member
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 09:54:43 AM »
Okay, I think I may have increased it enough. It only has kb and not mb. I don't think it has met this crowd yet. We're all picture crazy. It should say 100 GB!

Offline diamondjunkie

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007, 10:42:05 AM »
That did the trick, Flash!  Thanks!

Offline WM

• CDI Member
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007, 01:42:29 PM »
Awesome. I may have to boot it up again later.

Snooper

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2007, 04:44:51 AM »
One thing I noticed.. When I uploaded a few pics and they were too large? After I resized them (they are on my desktop at that time), and when I re submitted the smaller pics and hit submit, it mentioned something that I had posted that information before.  So each time (until I figured out a good size to make my pictures for this site), I had to just hit "home" (or some where else) and re do the thread... 

It might be me and my lack of computer skills ???

Offline WM

• CDI Member
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2007, 07:53:19 AM »
500 x 500 pixels
128kb

That's the size photos need to be. And I think there is a 9 upload limit for each person per thread right now. I'll test it in a bit. I need to back up the site. We don't want to lose what we have up here now.

Snooper

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2007, 11:24:51 PM »
I could have sworn yesterday and in the past, I always size mine to 500x500, but perhaps when I had added all 10 pics the limit was exceeded? I like how you can add 12 now though! Keep it up Flash!

Offline WM

• CDI Member
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2007, 11:51:05 PM »
I think it was the number.

And if I need to make more space, I will. I just want to be careful that we don't exceed our bandwidth. If we do, it could take the site down so that's why I have a number in there at all. Because you guys will come back here and tell me you want more room to post photos and I can check the load and decide if we need to increase or clean out logs or whatever.

I have no intention of telling you to not upload photos. I just want to make sure we have the capacity once it goes over a certain load.

Offline CaratHead

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2007, 07:08:42 AM »
The easiest way that I have found to re-size pictures is with the Windows Paint program that comes with all Windows software. 

Just open the picture that you want to resize in My Pictures, and there is a little icon at the bottom, second from the right.  If you click on it, it opens the Paint application.  Once you get there, click on "Image", then "Stretch/Skew".  Type in 25 in Horizontal and 25 in Vertical, then OK.  You then should save your picture as a different version...I usually put DBL at the end.  Once you have done that, you can upload that version.  Pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

Alternatively, you could go to the Paint application, open it, and select your photo from there...then follow the instructions above.

Good luck!
So many ballgames, so little time...

Offline WM

• CDI Member
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2007, 09:12:56 PM »
Thank you Carol. I think I've heard of those and it's what a lot of people use.

By the way, I just increased the picture folder again and the number of attachments per post  to 30 or something like that.  We've got room.

Offline diamondjunkie

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2007, 02:31:03 PM »
I use  HP Photosmart Essential and just crop the images down within range.  I think it was a free download.

Offline Rubymu

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2007, 11:09:37 PM »
I use Ifranview - it's free and easy to use - there is a 'half' button for resizing - very quick.  http://www.irfanview.com/

Offline WM

• CDI Member
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2007, 12:10:42 PM »
Once everyone has made suggestions, I'll compile the software suggestions in one list in one post. Thanks you guys.

Offline annie1

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2007, 12:21:12 PM »
I don't know if we have any Linux users here, but GIMP is the standard image editing program that comes with most Linux distributions. 

Even if you use windows, I would recommend trying out the program if you don't want to invest in Photoshop.  It has a lot of nice features, and you can't beat the price of absolutely nothing. 

Here's a link to the Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GIMP
:duckie:  Annie  :duckie:
DBL Technical assistant, CDI Moderator
Check out DBL's new items!

Offline BigRed

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2007, 07:07:07 PM »
Can you attach a picture to a pm? I was trying to show someone what I was looking for and there isn't additional options at the bottom of the pm.
DBL's One and only Rose Gold Queen!!!!!

Offline WM

• CDI Member
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2007, 09:56:05 PM »
You can't send a photo in a PM. I think they are developing this modification in the next release  when I upgrade the forum, but it's not available right now.

Offline Sanchica27

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2007, 01:41:20 PM »
that pic info just came in handy, i use infranview which i have been using for years because of myspace photo requirements, its free and does the basic photo editing stuff, just google for it and you should be able to find it for free at a download site!
always saving up for my next piece!

Offline blameitonblue

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2007, 09:07:43 PM »
Okay, I have a much more simple question--how the heck do you take the photos of the jewelry?  I was just trying to take a pic of my ER, and I can't get the darn thing in focus and still have it close enough to see the darn thing!!  I have a Canon Powershot A 630--anybody use this and have any ideas?  I've tried every setting the camera has on it, and I cannot take a picture of my hand and have the ring be in focus at all!!

Offline robin

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2007, 09:16:14 PM »
This probably has to do with the minimum focal length of your lens.  Every lens has a minimum distance at which it can focus, and yours may be longer than your arm :-).

You'll probably need to get someone else to take the picture, then crop it.

--Robin