Author Topic: New Weight loss thread....  (Read 7339 times)

Offline ah2bqat

Re: New Weight loss thread....
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2013, 02:48:18 PM »
 :ura1: :ura1: :ura1:  Congratulations to you both!  Wish I could join you and David and Karen, Sherylsbuys.  It's not outrageously expensive, as I feared.  Maybe I can start when we kick the last kid out of the nest.

LC - what are you doing differently to have such great results?

I'm doing it the old fashioned way (aka portion control +low carb/fats), and have lost the 15 lbs I put on when we moved to Nevada.  I do miss my gym membership, but not drinking is a big part, too.  Last ski season was when I lost the most (duh - more exercise); the rest of the year is pretty much a holding pattern with some slow drop.  We just can't seem to find a summer sport we both can enjoy, and a gym membership just isn't in the budget - unless his new product or my beads start generating some actual income.  ;D

Auntie Dammit :Heart: DBL!

Offline lovecolor

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2013, 04:20:13 PM »
      ah2, congrats to you for losing those rude 15 lbs of "settling in to your new home".  I'm doing alot of the same things you are.. but I mostly contribute my weight lose to working in a 30-40 minute walk, incorporating the many hills in my neighborhood or go on a bike ride.  My niece recently gave me her indoor bike...which is helping with the cooler days now.  Without my walks or bike rides...I'd be gaining 5 lbs a month.  Which is why I had gained 20 lbs three years ago.    I thought that by eating "healthy", etc...I'd be fine without my walks over the winter months...but no...from November through February the pounds came on.  Sooooooooooo, the moral of my story is that, if I'm going to eat, I'm then going to have to excerise...and really, just 30 minutes a day is all that I find is necessary to stop the weight gain and lose slowly, but surely!  Oh, one more thing...I've learned (from watching Dr. Oz ) is that, in order to reduce/stop the belly fat...I now combine either nuts or a healthy fat like avocado or olive oil with foods high in sugar or simple carbs.  This will slow down the absorbtion of the blood sugars into the body and make you feel full longer!  That, plus drinking lots of water, has been doing it for me.

I love Dr Oz and the information that his show offers!  :icescream:  (don't forget the walnuts!)         

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2013, 11:59:48 AM »
Speaking of the benefits of walking....does anyone have a 'Gazelle' with the Susan Money-Twombley hosted exercise video?   I think I got the last year of the VHS version and it died several years ago.  I'd love to have a CD of it burned.  I used to do it every day, even tho she was ridiculous.  or maybe because she was.  Tony's videos just aren't any fun.

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2013, 08:27:41 PM »
Congrats to you all on losing!!!!!  Seriously every single one of you should be proud :)

We all have to find our own ways that work too.  I did the very boring calorie counting myself, but about 7-8 years later, I'm still down.  So it is possible to do it for sure :)
Elaine aka Squiggly
elaine@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline lovecolor

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2013, 08:48:49 AM »
I use to do the calorie counting thing...I drove myself crazy before bedtime... adding up the calories I ate that day...planning the calories I'd be eating tomorrow...and making poor choices just as long as the calories were right.  I do believe that writing down the calories can help in the beginning...being accountable for the foods that we eat by writing them down often shows excess for sure.   

For me though, as long as I have daily exercise...choosing healthy foods and leaner proteins makes my meals more nutricious with less worry about the numbers...cause boy, can I obsess about those! 

Anyway...Congrats Elaine, keeping it off over 7-8 years says that you're doing great!  I'm praying that my yo-yo weight gains over the Winter months are over!!!      :pray:

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2013, 08:19:04 PM »
I was lucky in that when I started there were other programs that I could use to track it for me.  Since I do all the cooking planning meals was not an issue at all.  Like I said it worked well for me at least.  Plus I could track my exercises with the same program. 

I have crazy good metabolism when it comes to carbs and I don't like high fat foods anyway so that wasn't as much of an issue.  I really just needed a reality check with portion sizes :)

I have fluctuated maybe 10 pounds one way or another during the time.  Well pregnancy I gained 18 but I don't think that counts as much.  It became so much of my life that it isn't even something I think too much about now.  I do think about how big I was when I was 85 pounds heavier though - keeping old jeans is enough to scare me not to go that way again :(

We all have to find what works great for us and what works long term.  That's the tough part.
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline GIAGirl

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2013, 04:31:52 PM »
Hi!  Consider me in. I've been working out and lifting weights for a couple of weeks. I've just started to get serious about my diet.   I have 36-40 lbs of baby weight to lose.

Offline GIAGirl

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2013, 04:33:30 PM »
Congrats to everyone that has lost so far.  It's really hard to lose weight after a baby. I guess I never knew how challenging it would be.

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2013, 12:55:28 PM »
OK- just had to share...the scale...this morning said...

199.5lbs!!!

YES_ finally got rid of that pesky 2!!
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2013, 01:27:32 PM »
Way to go, D! :ura1: :ura1: :ura1:

How much more are you targeting?

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2013, 01:35:25 PM »
Trying to get back to my original weight.
9.3lbs

;D
David

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2013, 01:35:59 PM »
Kidding of course...
If I can make it to 185, I'll be at fighting weight.....
David

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2013, 02:05:51 PM »
Great job so far!!!  I bet you'll be down to 185 in no time!  Though your original weight wasn't a small amount either ;)

GIAGirl, good luck yourself.  I had the crash course in losing baby weight so not quite what I recommend others.  Many say take as long to take off the weight as you took to put it on.  I hope you find something that works for you.
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2013, 02:11:21 PM »
Heheheh.  9.3 lbs?  We'd never find you behind your desk!  :smarty:

Getting over a plateau point is such a grand feeling.  Exultation comes to mind, with kudos to Karen.  She seems like a wonderful coach.  

Offline Diamondluvr

« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2013, 05:45:16 PM »
Congrats on all the weight that has been lost!!!  Not an easy task, but so worth it in the end!  Keep up the good work :D

My hubby and I began Crossfit a few months ago and I have been going through the losing fat, gaining muscle faze---needless to say the scale is not my friend right now!  Down one week, up the next-I have to keep telling myself to just look at all the inches lost and how my clothes fit and ignore that blasted scale :)  Although the other day I stepped on the scale and the batteries were almost dead and the Scale read 'LO' so I felt pretty good about my weight that day  :tongue1:
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 05:46:05 PM by Diamondluvr »
She has spent her life best... who has enjoyed it most.

Offline lovecolor

« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2013, 08:19:40 PM »
     :laughing4:

I know what you mean Diamondluvr...I hated that scale for soooooo long..congrats to you now...You are "LO" and behold...leaner and...fitter!  Woo Hoo! Who cares what that  :furious3:  scale says.    :angel: 

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2013, 11:45:33 AM »
Exactly right, LC.

It's not how much you lose or keep, it's how you feel and how you look.  Scales are just a way to keep score.  When i can comfortably fit into my old size 6 jeans, I shall be happy, whatever the scale sez.  But then, I carry a lot of weight topside these days, so everything is skewed.   :tongue2:

:alarm:  PUT YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR AND STEP AWAY FROM THE CANDY CORN  :police:

Happy Halloween!

Offline GIAGirl

« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2013, 08:36:54 PM »
I'm down 3.8 lbs!  I'm working pretty hard. I had mimosas today at brunch. When I logged them into myfitynesspal I might as well have had a piece of cake. Ugh

Offline GIAGirl

« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2013, 08:41:41 PM »

Congrats to everyone who is losing.

Cglwli, I really want to lose it by Feb, as that is when my friends and I are going on a girls' beach trip.

Diamondlvr, that crossfit is crazy!!! Is it killing you,

Offline Sanchica27

« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2013, 11:29:20 AM »
I have to say I saw David earlier this week when I dropped off my ER for a repair and he is looking fabulous! Big applause to all of you who are making it happen!

I started weight watchers a few weeks ago but David saw me the day I had been saving up my points for Shake Shack, lol.
always saving up for my next piece!

Offline sherylsbuys

« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2013, 11:57:30 AM »
Congrats GIAGirl on your weight loss!  Just keep focussing on your goal, and you will achieve it.

I am down 16 pounds, and will be wearing a black bikini on our vacation in January.  I really appreciate David telling me about Take Shape for Life, and I really appreciate Karen our wonderful weight loss coach!!!

Offline Diamondluvr

« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2013, 11:07:46 AM »
Diamondlvr, that crossfit is crazy!!! Is it killing you,
Congrats GIAgirl on the weight loss! 

Crossfit-it is a butt kicker!!! 

It challenges you everyday, but the results are super fast because of all the different muscle groups you are engaging during the workouts.  So, if you are eating well while working out-the change you see in your body composition is quite quick.  And the workouts are different everyday so NO getting bored :)  It is also really fun to see the different levels of athletes in the classes---we've got a lot of people in really great shape, awesome inspiration!!!  We also have some fantastic trainers who are great if you need to modify anything due to a previous injury. 

If you are interested, you should definitely check it out and give it as least a month.   

Offline GIAGirl

« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2013, 09:36:28 PM »
I signed up for some personal training sessions with a Groupon and we do what seems very similar to crossfit. I can't wait to see some before and after photos of everyone.

Ok Sheryl!  You will be the first. We want to see this black bikini!

Offline Diamondluvr

« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2013, 01:03:42 PM »
GIAgirl-I didn't take any before photos before beginning Crossfit, something I am regretting now!  We did do measurements and of course weight though.

How are you enjoying your personal training sessions?

Most days I really love going in and learning something new.  

The things I am enjoying the least right now are: burpees(yuck), box jumps and rope climbs.  

The things I am enjoying the most are: rowing(I could row everyday), most of the olympic lifts(the snatch being my current favorite---NO snickering at the name  ;)) and sledge hammers(great stress reliever!).

Keep up the GREAT work everyone!!!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 01:06:16 PM by Diamondluvr »

Offline GIAGirl

« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2013, 05:37:21 PM »
I love the training, but maybe not on Friday the week after Turkey Day. 
What are burpees???  They sound terrible. I will google this.