Author Topic: ideas for this stone?  (Read 2287 times)

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
ideas for this stone?
« on: May 31, 2013, 11:19:01 AM »
I want a wedding band I can wear alone.  Something more low key when running around particularly in the summer time.  There is absolutely no question now, it is going to be this pretty Fancy Light Blue

R5285

I originally was thinking R4253 but I am open to other ideas.  Nothing fancy but want to make sure I am not forgetting a good idea.

The other question - what metal?  I have a personal preference of one metal over another for how it looks (and nothing else), however I am willing to listen to all ideas on what metal should be used.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 11:19:52 AM by clgwli »
Elaine aka Squiggly
elaine@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline ah2bqat

Re: ideas for this stone?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 12:11:06 AM »
Oh, Squigs!
That li'l baby bloo is fabulous!  
I am sooo :green:   :tongue2:

As to settings, we are sympatico.  I was thinking along lines  of lhttp://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-diamond-102ct-radiant-cut-fancy-brown-yellow-i1-gia-cool-color-r3753,  but sized to that gorgeous baby bloo and in platinum or 18k white gold.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 12:16:36 AM by ah2bqat »
Auntie Dammit :Heart: DBL!

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 07:53:41 AM »
I admit I am so excited for this one!!!

I think we're in agreement on the setting for sure.  I know there is the pipe cut band style (more metal on top and bottom) but not sure I favor that for this stone.

Which of the two would you pick - white gold or platinum?

I have a personal visual preference for the two, but the one I prefer is the warmer of the two and not sure it is the right choice for this stone...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 08:29:34 AM by clgwli »
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 09:56:52 AM »
I always, invariably vote for platinum... so here it is!

Congratulations on catching a splinter of sky!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 09:57:24 AM by oldmancoyote »

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 10:12:18 AM »
Thank you!  That's how I described the stone to my son - sky blue.  So now I'll have the sun and the sky to wear :)

My mind says to go with platinum.  I prefer the look of white gold though with how creamy it is (I prefer my rings un-plated or once the rhodium wears off).  However creamy with cool blue makes me wonder...

I won't be a terribly wide band though.  I have both platinum and white gold rings so I can wear both metal side up for a while to make sure I won't "regret" platinum. 
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 11:10:40 AM »
I mentioned white gold, knowing your preference; but my money is on platinum,  as well.  No pipe band.   Smooth, organically shaped, ultra low-key.  My heart is breaking, but I am so happy for you!
Auntie Dammit :Heart: DBL!

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 01:46:01 PM »
I mentioned white gold, knowing your preference; but my money is on platinum,  as well.  No pipe band.   Smooth, organically shaped, ultra low-key.  My heart is breaking, but I am so happy for you!

Awww well at least she's staying in the family so you can visit her any time you like :)

I think you are dead on with this.  I was playing with some smaller round brilliant earrings I own that are around the same size as this stone.  I colored them blue with a washable marker and looked at the prongs to see how they looked next to it.

My older earrings that are a very creamy white gold did not look good.  The yellowish hue really stood out negatively next to it.  The newer earrings that still have the very silver rhodium plating looked fantastic.

Totally anecdotal evidence here, but it helped to visualize.
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline djm195

• Member Moderator
  • Man, do I have to do everything around here?
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 06:37:09 PM »

.... I was playing with some smaller round brilliant earrings I own that are around the same size as this stone.  I colored them blue with a washable marker and looked at the prongs to see how they looked next to it.....

Totally anecdotal evidence here, but it helped to visualize.

...and this is why I love CDI'ers....this made me giggle.

You rock E.

I'm very excited for you!!!!

djm
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 06:38:20 PM by djm195 »

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 08:22:18 PM »
Wait don't normal people do things like that when it comes to jewelry?  ;D

I admit I was ever so slightly disappointed with the hue of the marker.  Gave it a bit of a greenish hue to the blue when doing it - at least side by side in the photos it wasn't quite right.  

I think the decision has been made:

R5285 set E-W so that it can look as "square" as possible once set.  Platinum band much like R4162 including having the width of the ring being just a hair wider than the diamond.

Size between a 4.25 and a 4.5.  

There... done - now make it ;)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 08:24:37 PM by clgwli »
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline lovecolor

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 10:18:04 AM »
I love that setting Squigs!  Last year, I put my white asscher in it, using platinum...I am so glad I did!  You will love it and it will look so great with that blue treasure you jumped on...Congratulations! :-*

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 03:24:48 PM »
Thanks Lovecolor!  Have we seen your asscher?  I don't recall seeing one in a band like that - but I know it would look a-m-a-z-i-n-g
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline lovecolor

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 04:33:03 PM »
Thanks Lovecolor!  Have we seen your asscher?  I don't recall seeing one in a band like that - but I know it would look a-m-a-z-i-n-g

No, but I'll try to take a picture of it in a few days...   ;)

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 06:16:36 PM »
I look forward to seeing the photos!

As for this ring we will be starting on it (CADs) very soon.  I haven't been quite so excited for a piece of jewelry in a long time.  I mean I love other things I've done, but this one is just so emotionally charged for me and I am so excited!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 06:17:14 PM by clgwli »
Elaine aka Squiggly