Author Topic: Setting Question for Pink Diamond  (Read 6119 times)

Offline Enexy

Setting Question for Pink Diamond
« on: May 30, 2013, 10:47:57 PM »
In your opinions, as I have never seen a pink diamond ring in person, what is the best choice of setting for a pink diamond ring? I have finally, after many months, matched my diamonds and am ready to create a ring. My thoughts on settings are:

White gold/rose gold prongs
All rose gold
yellow gold/rose gold prongs
All white gold

What do you think best accentuates a pink diamond? My jeweler is telling me rose gold will only take away from the color of the pink since it's on the lighter side (They never dealt with pink diamonds btw). Is this true?

Thanks.

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
Re: Setting Question for Pink Diamond
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 07:22:57 AM »
While we have created rings that use a silver colored metal for the prongs holding a pink diamond in place, in general rose gold is preferred.  It helps to accentuate the pink in a diamond and also IMO it blends better as the prongs "match" the color of the diamond making them stand out far less.

I honestly would worry about this jeweler's ability to set diamonds if they say that it takes away from the pink.  Particularly if using a lighter pink, using a silver colored metal will most likely wash out a diamond.  

I personally own a natural light pink round brilliant diamond and it is set in a ring with a rose gold bezel.  I do know that the rose gold bezel helps my diamond look as pink as possible at all times.  Much like my light yellow diamond - I have it set in yellow gold.  Truly does accentuate the color and I have photos that I have taken that kind of show it.

Keep in mind this is yellow, but it give the same idea.  You can easily see that the right setting can absolutely make the color of the diamond stand out even more.

So in my opinion, no way would I skip using rose gold for a light pink diamond.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 07:23:39 AM by clgwli »
Elaine aka Squiggly
elaine@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline Enexy

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 01:45:55 PM »
Thank you - the pictures really do help me in making the right choice :) I asked them to go to all rose gold.

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 02:00:09 PM »
Hi Enexy- unfortunately we've found that working in rose gold and pink diamonds takes specialized skills that you really can't find everywhere.

See if you can get the jeweler to give you some sort of guarantee....
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline Enexy

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 02:22:14 PM »
I have a verbal guarantee.

EDIT: By the way, I paid $1000 for the service of getting the ring custom made and set. Is this a good price?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 02:43:10 PM by Enexy »

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 04:26:01 PM »
Honestly it is hard to say without knowing how skilled the jeweler is, what kind of setting you are having and all of that.  $1000 can either be a lot of money or so little that I would worry about the quality. 

I would get all guarantees in writing.  Without it in writing you don't have much to stand on if something does go wrong.
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 05:05:35 PM »
+1 to Elaine's comment about getting any guarantee in writing- that's very important so both seller and buyer have a record.

About prices: As Elaine mentioned, without know more details, any opinion we give is a blind one.
$1000 is indeed a lot of money- but not when it comes to a custom made ring.
We have capabilities to make affordable rings- however if you compare to our "Uber" line of rings, $1000 will not come close to making a pink diamond ring.
David

Offline Enexy

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 05:28:48 PM »
Well, I have my own 5 cut cornered rectangular fancy light pink diamonds, the center one being .65ct and the others around .24-.27ct

He is also adding some (supposedly) D/VS1 side-stones of small sizes (I don't know what points he's using). You think the price is still high? He originally wanted to charge me $1500, but I called the next day and he said 1000... So I thought it was ok. I've made many other jewelry with him previously as well, so I kind've trust him. They weren't the best of quality as they were hand made, but this one is being molded.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 05:38:41 PM by Enexy »

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 05:46:47 PM »
The problem is we cannot see his work to even guess if it is too high or not.  Just a general comment - in my opinion just going for the cheapest isn't always wise (unless really on a budget or using a temp setting) because if you don't pay for quality, you get a ring that is riddled with issues.

However, for some settings $1000 is perfect and absolutely what I would expect to pay.

For something like a simple cast solitaire that they have the parts and just put it together, it might be too much.

For some others $1000 would be not enough and would make me question the quality.

Just to show you here is a link to our semi-mounts and you can see how much of a range there is in cost Diamonds by Lauren Semi Mounts

So honestly without seeing anything, we cannot even begin to judge what costs we think it might be. 

One comment though - hand made does not usually mean poor quality.  In fact I tend to believe the opposite.  If you find a talented bench you can get absolutely amazing results in a hand made ring.
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline Enexy

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 06:24:01 PM »
They are making everything unique/custom from the ground up. They are modeling the ring in cad first, then they are molding/casting (I dunno the lingo) the ring to be exactly like the cad design. I'll see if I can get it from them. The main stone setting/prong will be slightly elevated from the sides, then the sides are are slightly elevated from the white sides. That is what I asked for - and light will completely pass through the center fancy light pink center diamond, so to accentuate it more than the other 4 side pinks.

EDIT: About the hand-made comment - I do believe so as well. I think hand-made jewelry can be absolutely stunning, as I have seen some that really blew me away. I wish I could've gotten that same craftsmanship, but they are not talented in that regard (or rather - he). I've sent it back to him two times and he's recrafted it for free both times, but have only improved slightly or side-graded in quality both those extra two times. That's ok though, it was just a necklace and it is just slightly crooked and I kind've like the way it is setup because some of the stones are slightly tilted the other way which makes for great brilliance from all angles. Not a main piece of jewelry for my wife anyways.

Ranting aside, I think I will try this jeweler one last time for this piece, then I will try to go onto Dave. I had contacted Dave earlier and I did feel as though I wasn't taken seriously so I took my business elsewhere (sorry Dave, no offense) and decided not to purchase that fancy brown/pink diamond he had shown me before he had listed it. I will attempt again in the near future.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 07:16:56 PM by Enexy »

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 07:00:35 PM »
H Enexy,
I did not mean to imply the price is high. In fact, I meant to say the opposite- it sounds very low for high quality work.
That does not mean it's not good - but there are times a low price equates to the product being offered.

We do get a lot of questions about custom made rings- and price is always a consideration.
Low is not always good
I've learned the hard way- we can find setters that charge $5 to set a one carat diamond- our best setters may charge 10 times that.
I don't send our diamonds to the $5 guys.....

I don't mean to shake your confidence in the jeweler- this is how I would answer this question no mater who was making the ring.
David

Offline Enexy

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 07:21:44 PM »
No, it's understandable. I do appreciate the prompt responses and excellent answers. I should have went to a more well-known, reputable jeweler for this more expensive piece. Well, all I can do is pray. It'll come back to me in 2-3 weeks, let's see what happens.