Author Topic: Taxing interstate online sales?  (Read 951 times)

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
Taxing interstate online sales?
« on: April 23, 2013, 07:25:11 PM »
Hi all!
There's a bill on the House of Representative pending that would require companies like DBL to collect the applicable local tax. it's said to be likely to pass.
It would then go to the Senate, where it's said chances of passage are less likely.

It seems almost impossible to me that a small business could comply as it's being proposed.
We're talking literally thousands of different tax agencies and rates.
Of course we've enjoyed a lot of benefit from the current system.
As have I as a consumer ( buying expensive guitars for example)
What does everyone think?
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline DiamondsAreForever

Re: Taxing interstate online sales?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 07:35:13 PM »
I do a lot of online shopping and enjoy getting to (usually) keep a little of my hard-earned money for myself. I'm not in favor of taxes being collected on online purchases.

Offline djm195

• Member Moderator
  • Man, do I have to do everything around here?
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 07:47:15 PM »
Since I'm still doing the admin for the practice while on disability, the only thing I can say is....Can you imagine the nightmare it will be filing every quarter?

I'd rather stick a shrimp fork in my eyeball.  

:1087:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 07:48:26 PM by djm195 »

Offline ElaineDBL

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 07:48:53 PM »
Technically we're supposed to be reporting and paying taxes on our online purchases anyway....

That aside I am horrible with math and I always wish that the price I see would be the final price no matter what.  Just makes it easier to me.  So that's my gripe - I want to see the final price quicker than just at check out.

I can't imagine how much more of a pain this will be for small business owners online.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 07:49:32 PM by clgwli »
Squiggly

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 07:56:37 PM »
Technically we're supposed to be reporting and paying taxes on our online purchases anyway....

That aside I am horrible with math and I always wish that the price I see would be the final price no matter what.  Just makes it easier to me.  So that's my gripe - I want to see the final price quicker than just at check out.

I can't imagine how much more of a pain this will be for small business owners online.
Not least because every individual consumer "only" has to report his/her own individual purchases to one state/county/city (and most ignore even the existence of use taxes, never mind reporting for them). The retailer will have to report a much larger volume of transactions to many states.

Now - this said, the really interesting question is "what is an online sale?" Clearly something on Amazon or eBay is. But if someone calls me about something I'm advertising online and we close the sale on the phone, is that online (and thus potentially taxed) - or is it a "normal" remote sale, and thus not taxed at source?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 07:57:58 PM by oldmancoyote »

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 08:51:20 PM »
DJM, pass the shrimp fork, please.  :BangHead:

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 09:37:08 PM »
I don't think well see this pass the Senate.

A national VAT might make more sense from a logistical standpoint, but that has never gone far here in the US.....

Hopefully this will be an academic discussion for a good long time.......
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 03:52:32 PM »
Yeah, I don't really understand this one, if only from a logistics point of view. VAT is annoying, but at least it's consistent(ly annoying...). I would hate to have to work with this legislation, as it seems to be proposed.
Customer Service Associate
jennifer@diamondsbylauren.com