Author Topic: Quarter sizes  (Read 1142 times)

Snowy

Quarter sizes
« on: April 21, 2013, 02:01:53 PM »
If I remember correctly the metal sizers at B&M stores only go by half sizes. So how does one actually know for a fact that the inbetween .25 is perfect before ordering? I usually stay away from the quarter sizes since I'm unsure but it'd be great to get a PERFECT fit.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 02:20:14 PM by Snowy »

Offline ElaineDBL

• Administrator
Re: Quarter sizes
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 02:47:35 PM »
I've done quarter sizes usually when I know that the 1/2 size is just too big and the whole size is too small.  Of course it all depends on the type of ring (width and style of shank for example) so a lot of times I have rings of different sizes on the same finger especially wen stacking.

I know a 1/4 size would be for me in the future because the half size I wear feels way too loose at times alone.  The next whole size down isn't comfortable though.

When in doubt I buy cheap (like sterling) rings to test out sizes before I buy.  I'd rather pay $10-20 to be sure of something than having to resize.
Squiggly

Snowy

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 04:16:28 PM »
Hmm! Should one take the thickness or how thin the shank into a big consideration in sizing?

I know my left ring finger was a 4 but after I lost weight it's been just going back and forth from my knuckle to the bottom of my finger due to gravity. But it stops at the knuckle. So I'm wondering if it warrants a .25 difference... in my right hand as well. Just trying to get an idea and size my right hand finger when ordering using logic! :)

But then again that would also mean that if that platinum ring on sale was able to be a 3.75, it would be able to fit my ring finger! Yum!! :)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 04:23:25 PM by Snowy »

Offline ElaineDBL

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 04:36:46 PM »
The question is, how tight is it on your knuckle as it passes over?  You do have to take that into consideration when picking your size. If it is tight on the knuckle, but loose around the finger itself, you might do better with sizing beads.  Those would help the ring from spinning, but you'll still be able to get it over the knuckle.

Band width really does need to be taken into consideration.  I like to stack on my hand so I intentionally pick a larger size when getting rings for that since together they add up to a substantial thickness.  Thinner bands can be smaller size and thicker bands require up to a half or even full size larger in some cases.

How much your fingers swell should be a consideration as well.  What's a perfect fit in the winter may not fit at all in the summer (climate depending).  

In my personal case, I am sized at about a 4.  I have been buying a 4 1/2 because I like to stack even in the summer time and due to a hand injury loose is better than tight (or I start having a lot of arthritis like pain).  However it seems that in the winter I feel like it might slide off.  It hasn't but it is getting there.  I'm taking the summer to evaluate what I want to do since it is rather hot and humid where I live.

So I can't really answer for you on your size.  If the ring does stop and doesn't come off really easily I would imagine sizing beads would work better.  If it feels loose even on the knuckle then I'd go down a 1/4 size.  If you have plans to wear more than one ring on the same finger, I'd stick to your current size.

Sorry that was kind of drawn out but it's really not a one size fits all answer always.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 04:38:51 PM by clgwli »
Squiggly

Snowy

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 05:05:11 PM »
A treasure trove of info! I figured that'd be the answer but couldn't hurt to ask what others thought just in case!

Thanks  :)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 05:43:10 PM by Snowy »

Offline ElaineDBL

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 07:56:11 AM »
Always glad to help.  Just wish this were easier to answer, but it's just one of those you have to try things out to see what you think.  Some people also prefer their rings nice and tight while others prefer less fitted.  Some even try to avoid "ring muffin top" which amuses me.

The best answer is that if the ring doesn't fit quite right, we'll be happy to help adjust it for you :)
Squiggly

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 11:54:31 PM »
IMHO, if most of the weight  fluctuations affects the knuckle more than the finger bone,  balls are the way to go.  When I lived in California, I had a real issue with swelling fingers, especially around the knuckles.  Not so much in a drier climate. 

Of course, at almost 60, I'll stick to the balls, regardless.  Much happier for somewhat arthritic digits.  >:D

Auntie Dammit :Heart: DBL!

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 11:44:54 AM »
[snip]
Of course, at almost 60, I'll stick to the balls, regardless.  Much happier for somewhat arthritic digits.  >:D

As Zsa-Zsa Gabor was fond of saying: "grab them by the balls, the rest will follow". Though maybe she was thinking of something else.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 11:45:24 AM by oldmancoyote »

Offline Rexelle

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 12:20:35 PM »
OMC, you may be right there ................... ;D

But I find that "the Balls" always work for me, despite the crazy heat here in the South, gaining and loosing (baby) weight,............them Balls keep my DBL sparklies standing.  >:D
It may have something to do with my knuckles, but whatever, it still works for me, and its better than me struggling with a too tight ring, or gummimg up my lov'lies with lotion. :angel:

M

Offline ElaineDBL

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 05:12:56 PM »
gummimg up my lov'lies with lotion. :angel:

M
Try Windex if you have any.  Every once in a while I do something dumb and put my e-ring on my right hand.  It does help to get it off and kind of cleans it too LOL

No comments on the balls otherwise though  ;D
Squiggly

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 05:37:31 PM »
OMC, you may be right there ................... ;D

But I find that "the Balls" always work for me, despite the crazy heat here in the South, gaining and loosing (baby) weight,............them Balls keep my DBL sparklies standing.  >:D
It may have something to do with my knuckles, but whatever, it still works for me, and its better than me struggling with a too tight ring, or gummimg up my lov'lies with lotion. :angel:

M

NOOOOO

:furious3:
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline Rexelle

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 02:27:13 PM »
Did I really just get  :a082: from D??

Be careful, some of us like that! LOL. >:D

Ok ..........so TMI,.........................and I need to buy more windex, and one of those awesome cleaners to put everything in, or add more Balls all round!!

M
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 02:28:48 PM by Rexelle »