Author Topic: Pink Stone?  (Read 7755 times)

Offline rock12

Re: Pink Stone?
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2013, 01:03:30 PM »
I get different colours showing up like a hall of colored mirrors (very beautiful) in different directions on the facets (mostly deep pink). The body color has never changed. The color changes in blue only under longwave UV light.

Offline rock12

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2013, 02:16:10 PM »
"Your picture seems to show straighter grain than I would expect to see in a Verneuil sapphire."
I learned that Verneuil Sapphires show tell-tale gas bubbles and curved striae (click the link below to see a Verneuil Saphirres).
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ptorraca/6856180911/

Now take a look at the image of my pink stone once more time (click the link below)!
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/1756/grainlines.jpg
In my opinion, my stone is not a synthetic sapphire or any type of synthetic. It has PINK graining lines and they are not curved.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 02:35:23 PM by rock12 »

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2013, 02:50:25 PM »
I'm thinking "yes" for the pleochroism, especially after mentioning "brown" as one of the visible hues, in addition to purplish red.

Given the overall bright pinkish red body color, the [suspected] presence of pleochroism (and the specific mention of "brown"), and the generous size of the gem, I'm guessing this may be the red tourmaline rubellite. Of course, to me at least, the characteristics of  rubellite do not resemble those of diamond, so I am confused about why this stone may have been considered as diamond. So, perhaps I'm totally off on this. :dontknow:

Anyway, with more details, I could easily change my mind!

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2013, 02:53:09 PM »
"Your picture seems to show straighter grain than I would expect to see in a Verneuil sapphire."
I learned that Verneuil Sapphires show tell-tale gas bubbles and curved striae (click the link below to see a Verneuil Saphirres).
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ptorraca/6856180911/

Now take a look at the image of my pink stone once more time (click the link below)!

In my opinion, my stone is not a synthetic sapphire or any type of synthetic. It has PINK graining lines and they are not curved.
One photo of a Verneuil is not particularly telling of what a hundred of them can look like - and they don't all show gas bubbles. But I'm saying it's not one if you read my post.

I'm also not saying it is a synthetic, nor has anyone else in this thread. We (Trinkette and myself) are saying it could be, just like it could be a natural stone. All we are saying is that this graining - that you seem to interpret as proof of it being natural - is no proof in one sense or another.

I also believe that we have brought this conversation as far as it can go without actually seeing the stone...

[snip]
 Of course, to me at least, the characteristics of  rubellite do not resemble those of diamond, so I am confused about why this stone may have been considered as diamond. So, perhaps I'm totally off on this.[snip]
I may be wrong, but I don't think rock12 ever considered it as a diamond.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 04:46:03 PM by clgwli »

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2013, 03:24:30 PM »
I may be wrong, but I don't think rock12 ever considered it as a diamond.

Okay. Sorry about that. See, like I said, I'm confused. ;)

And I agree, OMC, we've gone as far as we can without concrete info... my rubellite guess is actually farther than I'm comfortable standing behind; however, I thought I'd throw it out it there anyway.

If the stone is ever evaluated by a lab or qualified professional, I'd be interested to know what it is.

Offline rock12

« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2013, 04:05:56 PM »
Indeed, I'm not saying it's a natural diamond what I'm saying is there could be a possibility.
See new images (click the link below).
http://imageshack.us/f/841/33259406.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/f/28/43206634.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/f/197/52604670.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/f/825/41920424.jpg/

Offline rock12

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2013, 04:11:33 PM »

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2013, 04:21:04 PM »
the new images which are much better than the first lot, but still leave the basic question open. Comparing to one (bad) image of a rubellite with a different tone does not rule rubellite out... nor do any of the images rule diamond in (the apparent RI is still way below that of diamond, and the sharpness of the faceting is not diamond-like).

Repeat - I think we have gone as far as possible via photos; finding a qualified gemmologist that can see the stone is the next step, if you don't want to go for a lab.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 04:45:01 PM by clgwli »

Offline rock12

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2013, 04:32:28 PM »
Please do not post them on the site (remove them)...I reserve the right to remove the images. That was the main reason I did not post them directly on the forum.

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2013, 04:56:33 PM »
Calm down. I have only posted links to the images - as soon as you remove the image from imageshack, it will no longer show. It's simply easier to see them.

End of the conversation as far as I'm concerned.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 04:57:02 PM by oldmancoyote »

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2013, 05:00:33 PM »
I have removed the photos at your request, however Oldmancoyote is correct in what he said.  The moment you delete the photos from your hosting site (or simply moving them to another folder) they would show up here as a red X or some other type of "photo not available" image.

I have read this thread and honestly at this point I do feel you need to take your stone in to a professional for further testing.  It is a lovely stone and ring though - whether real or synthetic.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 05:01:01 PM by clgwli »
Elaine aka Squiggly
elaine@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2013, 06:57:24 PM »
NO way it's a diamond IMO based on the photos.
You've gotten great advice Rock- what a cool bunch of experts we have!

About photos......once they've been published even once o the web, they're basically fair game for anyone who's been able to get a screen shot, if that's what they wanted to do- which happens all too frequently to my photos.
In all honesty, I see no reason for you to worry about folks having or using your photos, all due respect.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 06:58:56 PM by Diamondsbylauren »
David
Check out our YouTube Channel