Author Topic: Pink Stone?  (Read 7837 times)

Offline rock12

Pink Stone?
« on: March 29, 2013, 11:04:55 AM »
I have a 14k ring with a big pink stone very intense like a purplish red and fluorescent blue. It has inclusions inside mostly graining (click the link below & see image). Also, it has an excellent clear transparency. I'm looking to have the stone checked by a proficient professional that I can trust. When I bought the ring I was advised that only the white stones around the pink stone are diamonds. However, I was under the impression that the pink stone was synthetic but I still like it since the setting is very beautiful. Two months ago, I decided to conduct some research about the pink stone and it seems to me that it might not be a lab-created stone like I thought it was. Does anyone know any respectable gemologists that can deliver some accurate information about the pink stone? I would like to see a respectable gemologist before I submit it to any lab. Thanks!

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/1756/grainlines.jpg

Offline rio

Re: Pink Stone?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 11:10:27 AM »
you can send to the gia, and David could make that happen.

Rio

Offline rock12

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 11:17:37 AM »
Thank you for your advice!

I will send it to the GIA but I want to have a preliminary document about the stone before any submission to the lab. Who is David?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 11:23:20 AM by rock12 »

Offline rio

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 11:38:32 AM »
David is the owner of this site, and diamonds by lauren.

Rio

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 11:48:05 AM »
Where are you geographically, Rock12?

For gem ID, you should look at people with a Graduate Gemologist or equivalent qualification - many jewellers are not qualified, but most qualified independent appraisers (meaning people that do not sell jewellery but make a living from appraising it) should be able to help.

If you are in the USA, you can find good lists of appraisers here:

http://www.najaappraisers.com
http://www.appraisers.org
http://www.ags.org
http://www.isa-appraisers.org
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 11:51:51 AM by oldmancoyote »

Offline rock12

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 12:21:47 PM »
Thank you so much, oldmancoyote!

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 12:57:41 PM »
It may be that even a qualified independent appraiser will not be able to give you a definitive answer on the exact make-up of your stone; although, being the rare red/pink color, options for natural gems are fairly limited. Even so, your gem may require the kind of sophisticated equipment that only a lab like the GIA has. Also, aside from any cost considerations, I would have no qualms about sending-off a stone to GIA for identification.

Regardless, I hope that whatever you learn about the gems pleases you. Good Luck! I'd love to hear what you find out about it.

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 05:39:45 PM »
HI Rock!
Do you have a photo of the ring itself so we can get a better look?
I agree with both OMC and Trink- by all means send it to GIA IF there's a chance it's a diamond.
Sometimes people have these questions, and send me a picture that's definitive- I mean to say sometimes it is very apparent a stone is not a diamond.
If you can rule out an obvious non diamond, it could save you some time/money of needlessly sending it to GIA

RIO!!
Great to see you!
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline rock12

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 09:46:51 PM »
Dear Mr. David,

I appreciate your help! Please click the link below...The album consists of twelve images for your view. The size of the stone is 1cm2. Thanks!
http://imageshack.us/f/809/abcsc.jpg/
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 09:51:16 PM by rock12 »

Offline djm195

• Member Moderator
  • Man, do I have to do everything around here?
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 09:49:45 PM »
Pretty ring Rock.

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 10:03:07 PM »
rock12, does the color of the stone appear to be the same hue from all angles? I've got to run to dinner (yes, folks, it is 10PM and we're JUST sitting down to dinner); but, after looking at just two or three of your photos, spinel comes to mind.

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 10:35:56 PM »
D, could this be coated? Such a gorgeous color!

Offline rock12

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 10:43:20 PM »
I learned online that natural red and pink spinel show a strong red glow under a long-wave UV light, and weaker under short-wave fluorescence. This stone fluoresces blue under an ultraviolet light. It could be coated but it also has natural graining. How can I tell if it's coated?

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2013, 06:20:57 AM »
Most coatings are not very hard - they tend to scratch and nick. Given the size of your stone and how exposed the setting is, I doubt it is coated.

It is definitely not a diamond; this much can be ruled out given size, transparency and (apparent) RI

What leaves me perplexed is the blue fluorescence. How strong is it? Does the stone show up as chalky/greenish as in the first picture below,or is it a blue glow as in the second?

(BTW - both those stones would qualify as very strongly fluorescent; one is a blue sapphire, the other a diamond)

(BTW2 - you may want to use "macro" mode on your camera when taking photographs of nearby small objects)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 06:23:46 AM by oldmancoyote »

Offline rock12

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2013, 09:53:35 AM »
The blue color under UV is similar and as strong to the image below (click the link). The stone shows no chalky or any greenish under longwave. It is very beautiful under UV like in the same manner as your image below but more blue.
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/817/uvimage.jpg

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2013, 10:17:59 AM »
If it's similar to the image you linked, it's most likely not fluorescent... bear in mind that UV lights (and LW especially) generally emit a fair amount of blue/violet visible light, which is what you are seeing.

This in turn re-opens the possibility that it is a spinel or a corundum - whether natural or synthetic (and BTW, the graining is no clue in this respect either).

Offline rock12

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2013, 10:43:17 AM »
I agree with you in many ways but I'm still confused about the pink graining and the blue fluorescence. I'm not saying it's a diamond or a synthetic stone. See this image (link) showing the pink graning lines...They invade the stone.
http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/8085/pinklines.jpg

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2013, 12:39:47 PM »
It would still help to know whether the pink color appears the same to you when the stone is viewed from different angles.

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2013, 12:50:34 PM »
I agree with you in many ways but I'm still confused about the pink graining and the blue fluorescence. I'm not saying it's a diamond or a synthetic stone. See this image (link) showing the pink graning lines...They invade the stone.
http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/8085/pinklines.jpg
Diamond we can rule out. Synthetic - perhaps, but even then, synthetic what?

Fluorescence: if it looks like the next-to-last photo you linked, it's NOT fluorescent (or at best only faintly), which leaves spinel, corundum (sapphire) and tourmaline in play, at the very least. Plus some exotic stuff like Magnesiotaaffeite...

Graining: as above. The fact that a stone has graining is (usually) no indication of its natural or synthetic origin. Some synthetic sapphires can be identified by circular "grain", but not all, and your picture seems to show straighter grain than I would expect to see in a Verneuil sapphire.

The good thing is that the stone is big enough to take a RI reading without having to remove it from the setting... which may solve some questions. And as Trinkette says, getting an idea of whether it changes colour or tone significantly when seen through different directions would at least rule some of the options out (e.g. tourmaline)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 12:51:13 PM by oldmancoyote »

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2013, 12:54:55 PM »
I agree with OMC, understanding the graining is not the issue here. Synthetic spinel, possibly created to resemble corundum, may fluoresce blue.

Does the body color appear to change when moved from an interior light source to sunlight?

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2013, 01:08:46 PM »
Sorry, I was typing my last post as OMC was posting his last post.

Then, the doorbell rang...
*SIGH*

Anyway, it does appear that we're on the same page about this. In addition to tourmaline, viewing the stone from differing angles can also indicate corundum (in this color I'd look for purple-red or orange-red), although for many this shift in color is difficult to spot in corundum. Garnet, spinel and diamond are some of the few gems that do not show this trait known as pleochroism.

I agree, getting a read on the RI or SG would help a LOT here, and the RI is easy to do with the stone as is.

Offline rock12

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2013, 02:40:12 PM »
Does the body color appear to change when moved from an interior light source to sunlight?

*No the body color never changes

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2013, 03:24:17 PM »
Does the body color appear to change when you tilt the stone (look for purple-red or orange-red)?

Offline rock12

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2013, 10:08:40 AM »
When tilted it gives off intense pink, purple,red,and brownish red,violet, but mostly pink and red.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 10:09:44 AM by rock12 »

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2013, 12:28:51 PM »
Yes, but do you get different colours showing up in different directions, or the body colour of the stone "changing" when you tilt it/observe it from a different angle?