Author Topic: Napoleon and Josephine ER Brings Whopper Price  (Read 1309 times)

Offline Trinkette

Napoleon and Josephine ER Brings Whopper Price
« on: March 26, 2013, 08:51:59 AM »
Once again, provenance trumps market value! With an estimated value of between $13,000 and $20,000 the modest engagement ring Napoleon presented to Josephine in 1796 recently sold at auction for $949,000 (not including commission and other fees  :freakout: ) 47 times its estimated value. The new owner, who purchased the ring March 24 during an auction at the Osenant auction house in Fountainebleu, France, prefers anonymity.

The ring, featuring a pear shaped diamond nestled against a pear shaped blue sapphire set in "toi et moi" design, was described as a "simple" band with two pear shaped gems facing in opposite directions. Each gem weighs a little less than one carat. By all accounts the ring is quite ordinary.

At the time Napoleon married the older, 32-year-old, widowed mother of two Josephine, he was a young man with very little money. The pair divorced in 1810 because together they could not produce an heir. Regardless, they remained close, and it is said that Josephine cherished the ring and passed it on to her family as an heirloom.

The ring came from the collection of Napoleon's nephew heir and Emperor Napoleon III and Princess Eugenie.

So, what do you all think? Do you like the ring? The design? Would you pay this for a little piece of history?

« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 09:34:17 AM by Trinkette »

Offline djm195

• Member Moderator
  • Man, do I have to do everything around here?
Re: Napoleon and Josephine ER Brings Whopper Price
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 09:09:46 AM »
I really like this ring and design. No, I wouldn't pay for a piece of history. Personally, I believe historical pieces of this magnitude should be enjoyed by everyone. This belongs in a museum, IMHO.

Offline lovecolor

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 09:19:48 AM »
I really like this ring and design. No, I wouldn't pay for a piece of history. Personally, I believe historical pieces of this magnitude should be enjoyed by everyone. This belongs in a museum, IMHO.

I totally agree with you djm!   (I don't know why this annoyed me so much...but it did!) 

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 11:58:33 AM »
Certainly, one could use a pair of diamonds, or do the same design with a well-matched pair of hearts... one pink diamond heart and one white diamond heart, or yellow and white, pink and yellow...

Offline ElaineDBL

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 01:14:01 PM »
I agree that while this is a lovely ring, I would not pay that much for it just because of who owned it.  I also agree that it is far better suited in a museum to be enjoyed by many.

I like the design though.  I wouldn't mind doing a ring that that myself.
Squiggly

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 04:20:25 PM »
You saved me the typing...

Offline djm195

• Member Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 06:33:23 PM »
I like the design though.  I wouldn't mind doing a ring that that myself.

I like the way you think. I was going to pitch this design to David....I think he could do it better.  ;)

Actually, I think it would make a great RHR for a woman with two children.

My DW has a RHR that looks a lot like the R5002 but without the pink melee. Anywho, each center diamond represents one of our three children. It doesn't look like a typical mother's ring... (which I loathe btw) but WE know the significance. DW loves that ring because of its sentimental value...I gave it to her on Mother's Day one year.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 06:42:23 PM by djm195 »

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 07:49:48 PM »
You could do one with two birthstones, or, a diamond and birthstone. Of course, if the birthday is in April, the birthstone is diamond anyway...  ;D

Offline ElaineDBL

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 08:40:11 PM »
I like the design though.  I wouldn't mind doing a ring that that myself.

I like the way you think. I was going to pitch this design to David....I think he could do it better.  ;)

Actually, I think it would make a great RHR for a woman with two children.

My DW has a RHR that looks a lot like the R5002 but without the pink melee. Anywho, each center diamond represents one of our three children. It doesn't look like a typical mother's ring... (which I loathe btw) but WE know the significance. DW loves that ring because of its sentimental value...I gave it to her on Mother's Day one year.
We aren't big into traditional mothers rings either.  Mine is the pink diamond flower ring that my son picked out for me.  Well I saw it in person, couldn't keep my mind off of it and kept looking at the photos.  So my dear son looked at it and loving pink as much as he does, said I needed a pretty pink flower.  I was hooked ;)

One could easily do this style with a few stones as well if they have more than 2 children.  Can't make it a mothers ring here since I only have the one, but I love my pink as it is :)

I'd love to see this with one of Yoram's pears he has done.  Just to give it that antique-y vibe.
Squiggly

Offline djm195

• Member Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 09:13:33 PM »
Just sayin'....

R4169 & R5210

Offline ElaineDBL

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 08:02:16 AM »
I like that set... wonder if we could also try it with R5134 next to a colorless chubby pear.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 08:02:46 AM by clgwli »
Squiggly

Snowy

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 12:19:23 AM »
Oh my! That idea sounds really pretty!