Author Topic: African Pinks vs Argyle Pinks  (Read 7069 times)

Offline Enexy

African Pinks vs Argyle Pinks
« on: January 25, 2013, 01:29:36 PM »
Your opinions on this matter? If you were to buy a pink diamond, would it's origin matter? What's most important to you, it's intensity or origin?

Are African pinks inferior to an equally intense pink argyle? I ask because I am interested in ebay item number 380406964369

It is an African pink diamond with a large face - perfect for me, for the setting I am putting it in.

My alternative to that diamond is ebay item number 200882777275 - which is smaller in size and carat weight, and significantly more expensive.

What are your thoughts? (If you need direct links, let me know)

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
Re: African Pinks vs Argyle Pinks
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 02:12:50 PM »
I'm not sure what Argyle has to do with the specifics of your question. Neither of those two diamonds is from the Argyle mine (and neither of the two sellers makes the claim). This is an Argyle diamond:

But it's also non-comparable to the other two: it's a fancy vivid purplish pink.

Ending this aside on Argyle - the answer to your first question is that (to me, but I'd say to the market too) intensity dominates. Given the same hue, saturation and tone, an Argyle will be worth more, but a crappy Argyle won't be a match for a nice pink from anywhere else.

To your second question: you are comparing apples to pears - and that's being charitable. You have:

Fancy vs. Fancy Intense
Pinkish Purple vs. Purplish Pink (not that it makes much of a difference to value, but they are very different shades)
Uneven vs. Even distribution
Cut Resembling A Pear vs. decently cut pear
Fairly clean vs. Heavily included

All  this said, I don't like either. The cheaper one is fairly unspeakably ugly, and the more expensive one is not lively.

Offline Enexy

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 02:22:01 PM »
I didn't realize the second one I listed wasn't Argyle either. I had been searching for days non-stop, I have lost track. Usually that seller has the Argyle certificate in the pictures, but obviously that one doesn't. My fault there.

My questions weren't the ones you answered, my fault again. I know that those two diamonds are completely different.

Here are my new questions, which are a little simplified.

1) If you were able to choose between a Fancy Pink .5ct Round Argyle or a Fancy Pink .5ct Round African, that look nearly identical, which would you choose? Would you take price into your consideration or origin?

2) Why is the first one ugly to you? Other than the hideous table. Thanks.

Offline Enexy

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 02:34:37 PM »
Sorry about double post. But I'd like to note that I cannot afford a diamond of size ~6.0mm for a center stone of that intensity that you posted. The most I am willing to pay is 20,000 for a pink diamond that will be my center stone in my piece I am making.

Would it be possible for you to know of/redirect me to places where I could possibly get good deals on pink diamonds of that size? I do not like deep colors either, as it looks like another gem/fake. I am going for a modest, casual look on the piece I am making (A graduated fancy diamond tennis bracelet), so it cannot look fake to the uneducated either.

I am looking for a LIGHT pink color, leaning towards the bubble gum color, but it can't be faint, and it can't be too deep. It's so difficult finding just the right pink diamond of that size, a good clarity, and the right price. Because the first diamond I posted was so thin, it had a great size at the cost of it's face, but I have already prepared to turn that into an advantage. I am only worried because the seller has told me it is African, and I wanted to know what people's opinions are on African and if they care that their colored diamond is not Argyle. I somewhat care, and that's why I am second-guessing my final decision on this matter. If you were the receiver of such a diamond, would you care?

Thank you for all the help in advance.

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 02:35:49 PM »
I didn't realize the second one I listed wasn't Argyle either. I had been searching for days non-stop, I have lost track. Usually that seller has the Argyle certificate in the pictures, but obviously that one doesn't. My fault there.

My questions weren't the ones you answered, my fault again. I know that those two diamonds are completely different.

Here are my new questions, which are a little simplified.

1) If you were able to choose between a Fancy Pink .5ct Round Argyle or a Fancy Pink .5ct Round African, that look nearly identical, which would you choose? Would you take price into your consideration or origin?

2) Why is the first one ugly to you? Other than the hideous table. Thanks.
1) It would depend on a lot of things. Of course price is one - but so is the reason for buying: for immediate resale, for putting into a jewel/collection, for investment.

2) The problem is not so much the table, it's the window. It has so little depth that it looks like a piece of glass. At which point, I can get a manganese-coloured piece of cut glass for far far less than $6000... and replace it when it wears out.

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 02:37:34 PM »
I answer your question about Argyle vs not.  I wouldn't personally care.  The pink I own personally is just a "run of the mill" natural light pink diamond.  I'm happy with it and while it would be neat to say I owned a diamond from the Argyle mine, it wouldn't be the deciding factor for me.

I just made sure that David, owner of Diamond by Lauren, will get a chance to read through this and see what he can do to help
Squiggly

Offline Enexy

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 02:39:59 PM »
Thank you, I've shopped through Diamond by Lauren a few times as well, particularly looking for styles to imitate, to be honest. The prices they have on their diamonds are a little too steep for me as well, since they have only a handful of pinks to choose from. I hope that they can help :)

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 02:45:18 PM »
Sorry about double post. But I'd like to note that I cannot afford a diamond of size ~6.0mm for a center stone of that intensity that you posted. The most I am willing to pay is 20,000 for a pink diamond that will be my center stone in my piece I am making.

Would it be possible for you to know of/redirect me to places where I could possibly get good deals on pink diamonds of that size? I do not like deep colors either, as it looks like another gem/fake. I am going for a modest, casual look on the piece I am making (A graduated fancy diamond tennis bracelet), so it cannot look fake to the uneducated either.

I am looking for a LIGHT pink color, leaning towards the bubble gum color, but it can't be faint, and it can't be too deep. It's so difficult finding just the right pink diamond of that size, a good clarity, and the right price. Because the first diamond I posted was so thin, it had a great size at the cost of it's face, but I have already prepared to turn that into an advantage. I am only worried because the seller has told me it is African, and I wanted to know what people's opinions are on African and if they care that their colored diamond is not Argyle. I somewhat care, and that's why I am second-guessing my final decision on this matter. If you were the receiver of such a diamond, would you care?

Thank you for all the help in advance.
Don't worry about the double post! And I wasn't suggesting that you buy the stone I posted about; I was offering it as an example of why the Argyle mine is famous for pinks.

At $20k, I don't think you can find a well cut, transparent, lively pure pink of 6 mm diameter (~0.90 ct or more if not round) for $20k. You can find something with a little brown in it, or go considerably smaller. There are still ways of making it look larger: for example a nicely done halo in matching pink.

The problem with the $6k diamond is not that it is African - is that it is incredibly poorly cut and it has none of the nice attributes of sparkle, fire and liveliness that a pink diamond can have.

Would I mind if I got that diamond as a gift? Yes, I would. Not because of the origin, but because of the look, and since it comes with a GIA report I'd know that the giver would have paid a fair amount for something that is... well, ugly. Would I mind if I got a nice African (or Brasilian, or...) pink as a gift? Not a bit. Argyle is the icing on the cake.

Final question: do I know of a place? You are posting on it. Give David a call; what he has in stock is less than 1/1000th than what he can get!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 02:46:57 PM by oldmancoyote »

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 03:05:09 PM »
HI All!
Enexy:
First- we can, and do compete against any other seller on the web.
It's true we don't list a lot of pink diamonds, however we have many that are not listed.
We are just working on this one now.

Also- unlike other sites that take one photo, then use photoshop to make it look as though there's more than one photo, we feature multiple shots of each diamond, in varied lighting environments.

As far as stones that are documented as "Argyle" versus ones that have no statement of origin- you are correct that stones that are branded from the Argyle mine command much higher prices than those that are "generic"
Are the stones really better, or is it hype?

Good question. I lean towards the latter- however having said that I see how much value the brand adds.....

Please feel free to call us- we'll make sure to convert you from ANY other site to a DBL client.
We have some amazing stones in your budget
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 03:05:27 PM by Diamondsbylauren »
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 03:40:44 PM »
I simply adore that pink pear.  The color & cut are perfection to me. 
Squiggly

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 03:47:18 PM »
WAAAAIT a minute. What's the size of that pear (mm), David, please?

:david:
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 03:48:23 PM by oldmancoyote »

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 04:03:07 PM »
I'm going to take a stab at this one and guess it is .56ct and Orangy Pink?  So a total stab in the dark if that is right and it's about 7.5mm by 4.5mm?  And if I am close do I win it as a prize?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 04:03:18 PM by clgwli »
Squiggly

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 04:06:57 PM »
If it's not 6 x 9, I will agree that David should give it to you as a prize. If it is 6 x 9, en garde!

:duel:

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 04:08:24 PM »
Looking for the GIA now....
David

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 04:11:10 PM »
Okay I looked at the name of the file and saw it was 56op.jpg.  So I took a guess because of that. 

Still I'd love it!  Not showing it to my child because I'd have to sell something (maybe him) to get it ;)
Squiggly

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 04:14:44 PM »
ITEM #: R5114
Pear Shape Diamond, Loose

CENTER STONE:
  WEIGHT: 0.58ct
  QUANTITY: 1
  SHAPE: Pear Shape
  COLOR: Fancy Brownish Orangy Pink
  CLARITY: I1
  MEASUREMENTS: 7.67 x 4.61 x 2.27 mm
  TOTAL DEPTH: 49.2%
  GIA COLOR REPORT #: 1112491913

Price: $10995
David

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 04:15:27 PM »
By the way, we got an extraordinary GREEN cushion diamond today- as well as a pungent VIVID YELLOW ORANGE......
David

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2013, 04:18:59 PM »
Lest anyone accuse me of being a tease.....

AND- this Fancy Green also has the incredibly rare distinction of being VVS2. Most green diamonds are rather imperfect.....
David

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2013, 04:21:10 PM »
Wow, closer than I thought!

So what prize do I win? ;)

I love both of those diamonds.  That green is the perfect minty green.

The orange... I seriously might know someone who would be interested in that.  So I'd love more details on it to share with someone.
Squiggly

Offline Enexy

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2013, 05:50:19 PM »
Thank you for the responses everyone. I guess I am off to more browsing, but I think I will browse a little more unbiased.