Author Topic: Does Size- or shape- affect color?  (Read 4914 times)

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
Does Size- or shape- affect color?
« on: December 26, 2012, 09:05:09 PM »
Hi Guys!
let's start with an interesting comparison.
Here's a 3.73ct next to a .51ct stone- both graded E by GIA- no fl on either.
First in the lightbox

Below, diffuse sunlight. I use "auto" setting on White balance- you can see how the camera reacts differently to the different lighting conditions by comparing the color of the tray they are sitting in.
I find this to be a fairly accurate interpretation of the fact that the tray does indeed look different in the different lighting environments.

What, if anything do you notice?
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline Trinkette

Re: Does Size- or shape- affect color?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 09:31:55 PM »
Larger-sized diamonds tend to show more color than smaller diamonds of the same shape and color grade.

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 10:12:48 PM »
That is the common held perception Trink, it's true.
I don't know that I necessarily agree- however my thinking is "colored" by the fact I so often look at larger colored diamonds with more intention of "color grading".
Basically, in the market, an E color is an E- although there is an variation from an E that almost made D to one close to F- it's not really relevant to the value.
In a large diamond of Fancy Light- or darker- the position within the grade can have a huge impact on color. For this reason I'm more sensitive to specific color and size in relation to GIA grading with colored diamonds.

But thinking even more into it- when looking at large colorless stones I more often chalk up discrepancies within a color on other factors than size- however these two  E color stones, right next to each other seemed to validate the commonly held perception.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 10:15:37 PM by Diamondsbylauren »
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 03:48:58 AM »
An E is an E, but not all Is are created equal. Or at least, this is what seems to happen for certain grades: I/J seem to be rather "variable" in price (all else being equal), possibly because it's the point where yellow will start showing willy-nilly in pretty much all stones to pretty much all people.

One of the issues with colour grading stones of different sizes is that - apart from the colour of the stone itself - there is colour in the environment which is picked up by the stone. The tray helps to absorb some of that, as does the lightbox - which is why it shows less in that environment than in "open air"- but in the end a 3 carat has a surface area of at least three and a half times a 50 pointer; it will pick up 3 times as much coloured light reflected from the environment.

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 09:10:44 AM »
I agree OMC. The range of any given color grade must be credited for some of the disparity in hue between stones if the same color grade.

And, definitely, bigger surfaces offer more space to catch and reflect surrounding light. In that light, so to speak, chances are that in a more "controlled" lab environment, it is easier to better see more of the stone's actual hue without distracting environmental reflections although, any hue/color is created by reflecting and absorbing light energy, soooooooo, can we ever REALLY say what a the ACTUAL color is for ANY particular object? In a different environment, my skin may appear green.   :dontknow:  *SIGH* I should be a philosopher.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 09:11:06 AM by Trinkette »

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 09:55:52 AM »
This you?

(and, appropriately,  ;D)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 09:57:20 AM by oldmancoyote »

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 01:01:38 PM »
I agree OMC. The range of any given color grade must be credited for some of the disparity in hue between stones if the same color grade.

And, definitely, bigger surfaces offer more space to catch and reflect surrounding light. In that light, so to speak, chances are that in a more "controlled" lab environment, it is easier to better see more of the stone's actual hue without distracting environmental reflections although, any hue/color is created by reflecting and absorbing light energy, soooooooo, can we ever REALLY say what a the ACTUAL color is for ANY particular object? In a different environment, my skin may appear green.   :dontknow:  *SIGH* I should be a philosopher.
My thoughts were exactly as this.  I saw the stones last night on my tablet and finally got to sit down to my computer today (lots of snow here, so we spent time cleaning and playing this morning).  As we all know there is a range for an E colored diamond, though it is rather small. 

The thing that stood out to me with the larger stone is that it had more colors in it.  Not color mind you but many colors.  I think that it probably reflects/shows surrounding color more because there is more area and larger facets to show it.

I won't go into the philosophical part of color though... however we must also realize that my perception of color is not that of everyone else's at times.  So even within a group of humans we all will see colors ever so slightly differently.   Just take those color tests for example.  My DH and I did them on the same computer - while he is rather color sensitive, I still blew him away with my perfect score.  And of course my father is colorblind and a good friend went to school with someone who only saw in black in white (supposedly at least)

Hey wait maybe I will get into color and how we see it a little after all ;)

Elaine aka Squiggly
elaine@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 01:48:48 PM »
Just in case anyone wants to try one of those tests...

http://www.xrite.com/custom_page.aspx?pageid=77&lang=en

Offline Foxylady

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 12:47:03 PM »
That was fun to do, my score was 48 not bad considering my ME causes blurring, double vision and colour distortion. Cannot read for more than 5 minutes before the words start to blur and swirl into each other. Just finished the test when that started to happen.

Foxylady  :heart2:

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 03:51:21 PM »
Thanks OMC, that was the test we both took.

Foxylady that is quite good!  I think my DH got in the low 100s, though I'd have to ask.  It is a very fun test to take :)
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline saqsay1

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 05:28:26 PM »
I GOT A 48 OF OMC'S TEST. PERSONALLY, I THOUGHT I ACED IT. APPARENTLY NOT. SAME SCORE AS MY AGE....
"If the US government were placed in control of the Sahara Desert, it would run out of sand in 25 years."

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 05:36:47 PM »
that was fun!   Mine was a 33, much better than anticipated!
Auntie Dammit :Heart: DBL!

Offline DiamondsAreForever

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 05:56:53 PM »
Wow, I'm embarased, I scored a 78.  Thank goodness I CAN see yellow in a white diamond.

Offline Debangel

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2012, 09:24:54 PM »
I got a 17!  I can has a job with the Uber-elves, please?

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2012, 09:45:33 PM »

Offline Debangel

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2012, 09:56:39 PM »
Trink, are you serious??  WOW. That's incredible!

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2012, 10:19:02 PM »
I must say I totally love seeing all your scores.

Mine was 0 as well, and my DH said he scored at about 110-120 when he took it.  

I think it shows perfectly here, even how different people see color.  Though some of it depends on the computer too, but in general just proves that we all will not see the same thing.

Though next time I am trying to convince my family that a shirt is orange and not red, I will be calling on a few of you for back up ;)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 10:19:51 PM by clgwli »
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline dovesgate

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2012, 01:18:02 AM »

That was fun! I scored a 14.

There was one on the bottom that looked like it didn't fit anywhere on the spectrum. It stood out no matter which spot I put it. Rigged I tell ya, rigged!  :tongue1:

Offline saqsay1

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2012, 12:15:08 PM »

That was fun! I scored a 14.

There was one on the bottom that looked like it didn't fit anywhere on the spectrum. It stood out no matter which spot I put it. Rigged I tell ya, rigged!  :tongue1:

I COULDN'T FIGURE THAT BOX OUT EITHER. MAYBE THATS WHY MY SCORE WASN'T AS GOOD. (SORRY CAPS LOCK STUCK)
"If the US government were placed in control of the Sahara Desert, it would run out of sand in 25 years."

Offline Sanchica27

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2013, 11:06:18 PM »
I scored a 3, it was a little hard but fun!  I can't wait to make DH do it who always argues with me about colors lol.
always saving up for my next piece!