Author Topic: Stone Setting, Color enhancement and final decisions on the pendant!!  (Read 3937 times)

Offline Rexelle

Ok Everyone!

After much mulling and umm-ing and ahh-ing, I have it down to the final TWO stones for my pendant - R3973, a 1.44 S-T square-ish radiant, and R4019, a 1.2ct W-X taller radiant. Neither stone exhibits any fluorescence (this is relevant).

Here's my dilema -  I would like the stone to LOOk as yellow as possible. I know we can do magic things at DBL with these kinds of stones, especially as they do not show any blue fluorescence.

I wear a 2ct TW pair of Y-Z radiant earrings, similar in shape to R4019, which is the pull for me of this stone, that I bought from D back in 2003. However, I REALLY I love the size of R3973 - she's an awesome stone for the $$$, and I KNOW I would love her, too. I am not beyond putting either stone into a halo of yellow or white melee, in YG, and putting some serious $$ into mounting whichever puppy 'we' decide on.... SO.........

Come on guys! Which one do I go with????
Which one do you think we can pump up the most, and how?
Do you think a trio of small yellow stones at the top would help, or a single one, or a milgrain channel of yellow or white?

Ideas are all appreciated - and D, could you post up a couple of comparison shots to help??
 :david:

Thanks!

Michelle

Offline dovesgate

Re: Stone Setting, Color enhancement and final decisions on the pendant!!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 09:54:53 PM »
I personally prefer the deeper color of R4109 but I like both cuts. If it were me, I'd decide how I want to set it first then choose a stone based on how I wanted to set it.

If I wanted a flower halo I'd go with R3973, a regular or halo with a bezel could fit either, a trio of stones at the top would mean R4019, a single stone would also mean R4019.

You also have to decide how much you want your jewelry pieces to match each other. Do you want your pieces to look like a parure or do you want them to be similar but definitely not from a set or do you want everything to be vastly different in design but similar in color?

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 07:20:38 AM »
To me there is no question whatsoever on this one.  R4019.  If you worry about size, you can always set it in a way that it would look larger.  To me the size difference is not enough to go with such a light stone compared to your earrings. 

That is if you are going for sort of matching.

In general if you want *yellow* S-T is not it IMO.  I mean it can be it, but still it can be more of a stretch with S-T to look yellow all the time.  In some lighting my Y-Z doesn't look very yellow at all (certain bright CFLs) and I do worry that an S-T will not be yellow enough.  Now if you are going for a buttery yellow then the S-T would be it.

This is my opinion though... and for me size is always last on the list when I am looking for a stone though, so I may be totally different than you.

To add to the size of R4019, I would do a setting like this http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/gentlemans-jewelry-canary-diamond-tie-tack-solid-gold
(yes I know it is a tie tack, but still)
or this with a two tone setting
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/diamond-necklace-floating-halo-59-carats-round-brilliant

Or a double halo with FLY melee and then colorless.  I would stick to a slightly lighter melee to give a hint of contrast to the center stone, yet not over power the color.
Elaine aka Squiggly
elaine@diamondsbylauren.com

Online Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 09:15:42 PM »
Hi guys! This is FUN!!

These shots really do show the subtle color differences......

Are these of any help??
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline Rexelle

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 06:13:39 PM »
Thanks D! Yes, the piccies, as always, are a great help, and capture the stones wonderfully - I find it really helpful to see them side-by-side.
There is only a 1/4carat difference between the stones in size..........and I think that I have made a decision...........if you can do before and after pictures, that would be a help!! If turnaround times at the 'shop' are around three weeks, perhaps you can put me out of my misery sooner rather than later!!!!

I am leaning towards setting my choice in a yellw gold halo, surrounded by a frame of yellow melee, as a dangle topped off with a smaller bezel set stone, with all the edges milgrained. I may even splash out and put her on a yellow DBTY necklace as a 'fixed' piece, rather than a pendant that goes from chain to chain.,........
Thoughts anyone???
That wouldn't be too matchy-matchy with my earrings, or with Pia, who is sparkling up from my right hand as I type.
But it would be fixed on the DBTY chain,.........unless we can do  variable length chain, it means she'd sit at a particular point, all the time,....

More mulling to do I guess! ARGH!

M

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 11:18:29 PM »
Mulled thoughts and diamonds - YUM!  Like your thoughts, too!  I LURVE dangley thangs!
Auntie Dammit :Heart: DBL!

Offline Rexelle

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 11:02:58 AM »
Thank you, Auntie D!
Yep, having slept on it, I am definitely set and decided that I am going for a dangle,............but David keeps tempting me with other beauties, and new ideas, which throw me off track!!
And that lovely creative team over at the Ubershoppe keep cranking out new Mega-Bling, with stratospheric WOW factor, .....I guess I can begin to understand why men ''rubber neck" a little better now. ;D
Gotta..... stay.... focused.......on the ....... pendant .....Dammit!! LOL!!

I will update soon,...

M

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 12:02:30 PM »
Just trying to picture - you said a yellow gold halo with yellow melee and all edges miligrained.  What edge on the halo are you thinking?  Personally I wouldn't add extra metal and just let the halo give a lovely natural micro-pave edge.  I would bezel set the top stone and do a milgrain edge though.

I would not mix a milgrain bezel set stone on a regular dbty necklace though.  It wouldn't "match" in feel IMO.  The milgrain is very old school feel and a dbty with smooth bezels are very modern by comparison.

What is David trying to tempt you with though?
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline Rexelle

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 12:27:46 PM »
D showed me a beauty!!! She was a set of loose stones when I was up in NYC, and the final result from the Ubershoppe is absolutely FABULOUS - 'abfab' for short ! AND it was a coloured pear shaped centre ,.... my absolute FAVOURITE!! She had me before she could even say "hello".......LOL!!And if I didn't believe that she'd spend her life with me being mauled on my mits, and being sent back to be mended more than I'd get to wear her,... she'd already be in the box on her way to AL in the BBT............When they can grow us an extra arm and hand, (that I don't use for anything at all except wearing jewelry to look at), THEN I can wear micro pave, and all those teensie weensie sparklies that I seem to kill every time I try them on. BIG SIGH!

Squigs, I'm thinking something like the top of R933, with just a single halo of yellow. Milgrained all around, anywhere theres an edge, ........with a single stone above, just bezelled and milgrained with no melee. I think. I'm not certain. This could change,.......
I am always scared of micro pave,... I swear either its allergic to me, or vice versa. Everything I've ever had thats micropave'd spends more time being fixed than on me,....... NOT good!!

I don't have a problem with the DBTY,.... its very deco/nouveau-ish,.... so hanging a milgrain edged pendant from that wouldn't bother me,......but I get what you are saying. You always give me something else to think about ,..... Hmmm,........

M
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 02:13:56 PM by Diamondsbylauren »

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 01:21:42 PM »
I get what you are picturing and yep, I'd do every edge with a texture/milgrain if I were you.  I do think that some DBTY are kind of nouveau-ish, but I usually picture those as more draping, layered, multiple shapes, or extra beadings etc, and not a simple strand.  It's only been more recent years that I've seen a single shorter strand so it feels modern to me.  I hope that makes sense, and that's why I can't picture a vintage-y feeling pendant with a DBTY.

Have you thought of maybe doing a DBTY that would be like marquise shaped with a RB in the center instead?  That way you could texture the marquise shape as well and it would look like it "fits" together.  Or do a diamond then a cool kind of flat bead and then diamond etc.

I love the idea of delicate micropave as well but I know my lifestyle better than that LOL  I really love the way they look, but I'm more of a bezel gal now ;)
Elaine aka Squiggly