Author Topic: Foolish man needs help with colored diamond engagement ring  (Read 10158 times)

Offline Foolishman

Foolish man needs help with colored diamond engagement ring
« on: September 03, 2012, 10:16:53 PM »
Hi, I'm a man who is looking to propose next month while on vacation in Italy.  Have a month to find a ring and get ready for the proposal, so I have a limited time window. 

I don't really have any qualified women to ask in my life. My mother never got an engagement ring (her request) and my sister doesn't care much either.  I'm the type of guy who doesn't care about these things myself, but want my girlfriend to be happy and realize mine does care about these things.

A close friend of mine just proposed.  He spent $16k on a ring that doesn't really stand out in anyway.  He bought from a local jeweler who was a friend of a friend and, I just don't get it.  It's nice, but fairly standard.  I

I'm looking for a ring that stands out, but I have a limited budget.  I'm looking to stay under $8k, but if something great arose, I can stretch the budget.  I have lots saved, but fear the impending house purchase, hopefully children expenses, and so on. 

I am willing to save on things that are only visible under 10x magnification.  So perfect clarity, and so on, are not really my concerns.

I would like a unique engagement ring and am leaning towards a colored diamond.  While my girlfriend is into many of the name brands, the name brands for diamonds (Cartier, Tiffany's, etc.), seem like a bit of a rip off to me.  I don't want to pay a premium because these companies had an effective marketing campaign 50 years ago and are living off of their reputation.  I see diamonds as a commodity. 

In other words, I've pretty much narrowed to an online dealer.  I like what I've seen on dbl, but am considering other sites as well.

A few questions:

1) In my price range it seems as if the only colors available to me are: gray, brown, yellow and orange.  While I realize a pink ring would be perfect, would a women even like a ring in these colors (I do, but is a brown engagement ring going to annoy a women)?  Are colored diamonds (brown, yellow, etc.) acceptable for engagement rings or only for other jewelry? 

As a note, I personally like the Champagne and Gray diamonds the best (from what I can afford, but not sure how other women would react).

2) Are there different factors for judging one of these rings?  I can't imagine that the four C's hold the same weight as in colorless diamonds?  Does clarity reduce in importance in colored diamonds? 

3) I want a natural color and do not want something irradiated or with fake colors added in a process.  Is it going to be hard to find a brightly colored diamond without these processes done?  I want a bright or deep color (I suppose the term is vivid) as opposed to a diamond  that is mostly clear and has hints or grey or brown and simply looks like an imperfect colorless diamond.

4)  Any tricks for getting a ring size?  She has a ring I could use to measure, but she would realize if it disappears for more than an hour or so.  Any suggestions?

5) Would a girl want a colored diamond engagement ring or should I just go the standard colorless route?

6) I know platinum is generally preferred for colorless rings.  Is this true of colored diamonds as well or does gold, white gold, or silver work better with these colors?  Is there some chart to refer to for this?

7) My vacation is a lengthy 23 days  :D.  Many online websites have a 30 day return policy.  It will be difficult to time out the whole ordering and shipment process, vacation, and possible return within this 30 day window.  While I am confident she will say yes, is it too risky to order online as I know I may not be able to return within the 30 day window?  Will online sellers like diamondsbylauren extend the return policy in certain situations and does anyone have any experience working with a company in this regard?

I've matured to the point where I realize I don't know what women want and never will truly understand how they think about these things (which is how I know I'm ready for marriage  >:D).  So I want a window for a return.

Thanks for your help.

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
Re: Foolish man needs help with colored diamond engagement ring
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 08:21:21 AM »
First of all welcome to the forum!!  I cannot say you are foolish at all since you are here asking questions.  That's always wise!

I will go through your questions with my opinions and then go from there.

1) I have a Y-Z, Natural Light Yellow radiant cut for my engagement ring.  Well replacement engagement ring since my original one broke.  We tried colorless diamonds for me, but I was always drawn to the colors and have been for a long time.  

Colored diamonds are getting to be quite popular now.  Think of the celebrities who have them - I think my first memory is of Jennifer Lopez with her pink.  I've seen quite a few pinks and yellows in particulars among the stars.  

2) Cut, color, carat size and clarity are just as big for me with finding a colored diamond.  I own 2 yellows and a pink right now (working on more ;))  Cut for me is about how much a ring sparkles, making sure it is not overly deep and if it has any dark or dull spots to the stone.  There is no magic formula for me, but I have to love how it looks.

Color - well that's just about what shades do you like best.  Clarity I am not sure what you mean by importance?  You seem to want a stone that is not included so I would only worry about that aspect and we can help for sure.  Of course carat is personal size as well.  Based on where you live and what you and your girlfriend can afford.

3) The diamonds we have listed on this site (http://diamondsbylauren.com) are all natural and not treated in any way.  So on this site it isn't hard to find.  I did notice in person it is though.  Very few stores carry quality natural diamonds.  I prefer using the term vibrant - both yellows I own are very vibrant and amazing.  I have lots of photos I could point you to if you like.  But start with this for yellows
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/content/education
What shades do you like?

4) Ring size... that's tough.  The only trick I know is to ask her friend to take her to a jewelry store and try on rings.  Otherwise it is really hard to guess.  Ring sizes vary so much and it is hard to even judge unless you know the exact finger. Like my left to right hand sizes are about 3/4 of a size off from each other.  My right hand is either a 5 or a 6 depending on the finger and my left hand is 4 1/4 for the ring and honestly I don't know but assume about a 5.5 for my middle or pointer finger.  I haven't measured in a long time as I don't wear rings on those fingers at all.  If you ask another, the sizes might be closer or further off.  

5) Would a girl want a colored diamond engagement ring?  Yes.  The question you need to ask is would *your* girl want one?  If she likes Tiffany see what she thinks of the yellows there.  Rumor has it that there will be pinks there shortly too.  My honest take on engagement rings is that while many men think that women want a surprise, a lot of women do not.  I had say in my original engagement ring as well as my yellow diamond replacement (and anything in between).  I am picky and the only jewelry my DH has had a big say in was something I didn't care for much.  I will say though, those who have been engaged recently among my friends, there are getting to be a lot less just colorless round diamonds in a solitaire setting.  Only one of my friends got that but it was a ring passed down from the family.  The colors and shapes used in rings is expanding and I can tell you I get a *lot* of positive notice from strangers even with my yellow.  I love it to death!

I truly think that it is wise to get thoughts from your girlfriend first.  Or at least get her best friend to help out with it.  

$8K is a very healthy budget though and I think you could get a fantastic ring for that price.

7) Okay this is the one question I can't/won't answer.  I just know our policy is 7 days and even with a 30 day window that would be nearly impossible.  So I'll default to the previous question while waiting for David to answer this for you - see what your girlfriend likes first and try not to worry about the return window.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 09:14:50 AM by clgwli »
Squiggly

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 09:12:03 AM »
I'm not able to write a detailed response till later- but I know you're in good hands already
Point 7- yes! Diamonds by Lauren will be flexible for a case like this
How exciting!
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline Foolishman

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 10:44:41 AM »
 :4:
I'm not able to write a detailed response till later- but I know you're in good hands already
Point 7- yes! Diamonds by Lauren will be flexible for a case like this
How exciting!

I work near your office which should make the process a bit easier.  Look forward to reading the rest of your reply.

Thanks.

Offline dovesgate

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 11:22:25 AM »
Ooo how exciting!  

Welcome to DBL Foolishman. I know you'll find what you are looking for here!

1. My husband started me off with an itty-bitty 3-stone ring from Walmart. I think it was around an H color but heavily included. Now I have an N colored SI2 whose flaws I cannot see unless I strain to the point my eyes are hurting. There is absolutely no black carbon or clouds. She isn't a fancy color but she's not a colorless, which I personally dislike. The warm ivory colors have always been my favorite but I've developed a deep appreciation for colored diamonds. I recently bought a little Fancy Intense Yellow from DBL to put on my mother-in-law's wedding band. Of course, now that I've seen Clgwli's new pendant I'm leaning another direction (you don't mind a copy-cat do ya Squigs??) but thats something for another thread.

As far as the colors mentioned go, I have seen some gorgeous brown diamonds - there are even some browns that look PINK! I don't really like grays for myself but they are interesting. Orange and yellow are absolutely gorgeous and I'd love to have a substantial size orange or yellow (or brown) of these days.

2. I think the general rule of thumb is that clarity isn't as important in the fancy colored diamonds. My little FIY is an I1 but due to cut (radiant) and color I can't see what makes it an I1. As long as I can't see the flaws I don't really care. Actually, no. Let me take that back. I took a gander under my 30x loupe at someone close to me's rock and was apalled at all the black carbon. So black inclusions are a huge no-no to me but I don't mind the white stuff if I can't see it. Cut is most important to me followed by color - as in, I generally want warmth to my stones but if the cut interests me it trumps all. Carat size is always lovely but I like smaller stones as much as larger.

3. You're in the right place for a natural colored bright stone.
Brown: http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/three-stone-ring-brown-and-white-asscher-diamonds
Yellow: http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/three-stone-diamond-ring-67ct-vs1-pudgy-pear-fancy-vivid-yellow-diamond-center-gia
Yellow and Pink: http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/Pink-diamond-halo-yellow-cushion-cut-diamond-73ct-fancy-intense-yellow-vvs2-cushion-cut-gia-vibrant-color-r4532
Orange: http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-diamond-87ct-pear-diamond-deep-brownish-orange-yellow-gia-r4398

4 and 5. Ditto what clgwli said.

6. Platinum is the most durable metal. I personally wouldn't put any expensive stones in silver. As far as the golds go, that depends on the stone you're setting. Some browns look best with pink gold but some look best with yellow. If you use a pink diamond halo (seriously, go check out the settings page here - gorgeous!) then I'd do a pink gold. If you did a vivid yellow halo, I'd use yellow gold. A colorless halo, platinum or white gold but if it were going around a colored center, the metal should flow with the color of the stone.

7. David rocks.

Offline lovecolor

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 11:24:50 AM »
Hi FM,  Welcome and I wish you Good luck!  And no way are you a foolish man...You are a romantic...and you have a great heart!  Don't fool with that!  There are so many choices for you at DBL...I'd say it's a tough call to make on your own though...especially since you aren't aware of your girlfriend's preference for her ER.  For instance, does she like emerald cut diamonds, cushion cuts, round brilliants, pear shape, etc.  You see, not knowing her favorite center diamond shape might be risky in deciding for her.  I personally would love a yellow or a champagne colored diamond for an ER...so many would, but so many wouldn't.  Maybe you should find out what she thinks of colored diamonds and if size matters.  Since you work so close to DBL...make an appointment with David and while there...please check out R3695, (1.03ct-emerald-cut-fancy-yellow-vs1-a-rare-beauty).  This is a BEAUTIFUL standout looking ring, IMHO and in your price range!   Before you go there...make a list of rings and loose stones that you would like to see in person.  I'm sure David will show you lots others...just have some written down for starters.   I also think you should look at R4062...it's a little higher in price, but oh so special!    ;)    

Now, get busy and start you own "must see" rings!  Have fun!   :)

« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 11:53:30 AM by lovecolor »

Offline dovesgate

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 11:27:28 AM »
You could always surprise her with a little pair of colored diamond earrings. Much cheaper (and less time consuming) if she doesn't like them.

Offline Debangel

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 11:50:38 AM »
Good on you, man!  And a proposal in Italy?  Talk about romance!!

If you really want to try and surprise her, what about saying you want to buy her a pair of diamond earrings, thereby leading her to the DBL site?  You could even say you found them through eBay, which is how I first found DBL, a good ten years before becoming a customer.  I won't speak for David himself, but maybe you could set something up where you went there to look at them, and someone could use her for a hand model for those ring shots we're always begging for, thereby figuring out her ring size??

If you've been doing your research, you've probably seen the several years' worth of stellar reviews from DBL's satisfied clients. One of them is mine, but I'll add my voice in again..I WILL NEVER BUY FROM ANYONE ELSE.  DBL sells ERs in a range  from around $1200 to $1.2 million.  My ER is a relatively modest $2400 "model", but when I talked to David and Rob on the phone, I would have sworn I was their Most Important Customer Ever.  And the ring, a HAL-1 semi-mount (my center stone is a Deep Brownish-Yellow Radiant Cut), marries strength and delicacy like no engagement ring I've ever seen, anywhere.  And trust me, I LOOKED.  It manages to look dainty while being proportioned to my hand, and sturdy enough to put up with whatever I put it through.  (I'm a lefty, which means my ring gets even more of a workout.)  And I honestly think that $8K at Diamonds by Lauren is a ring that would cost you at least twice that elsewhere...if you could even find something that special.

I'm so happy you've found the Forum!  I know we'll all be champing at the bit for sparkly updates :)

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 12:15:04 PM »
I noticed I did not answer 6

Usually for fancy colored diamonds, we will set the stone with prongs or bezels in gold that will absolutely compliment the color of the diamond.  My ring is a yellow bezel with a white gold shank - all 18K gold. 

Platinum vs white gold?  There are truly pros and cons with both.  It's an absolutely personal preference.  I cannot say one is better than another, but you can guarantee that we will make sure your stone or ring is set perfectly based on the color of the center stone.

I personally own both white gold and platinum rings and chose the metals based on what it was and which hand I am wearing it on (my left hand was smashed in a car door so weight of metal actually matters on that hand - where most people don't have that issue)

Please let us know the kind of styles you are interested in.  I have a lot of great suggestions for vibrant stones and rings that would be in your budget.  Of course making an apppointment to see it all in person is even better!

It really is hard to decide on stones sometimes but we really do have a neat selection of items.

One stone that actually stands out to me as an option is this one
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-diamond-205ct-round-brilliant-u-v-si1-lovely-color-r3940

I think that one set with rose gold prongs would be *amazing*  It just came to my mind when you mentioned champagne.

The other which would be out of budget even with bank wire discount - but I just love it http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-branded-dbl-diamond-116ct-fancy-brownish-yellow-double-decker-gia-r4062

I love the stone and if you like that style we have many more in shades of yellows.  DBL Branded Stones
Squiggly

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 12:16:29 PM »
Of course, now that I've seen Clgwli's new pendant I'm leaning another direction (you don't mind a copy-cat do ya Squigs??) but thats something for another thread.
Feel free to start a new thread, but I never mind when an idea of mine is replicated.  In fact I said to Rob earlier that we need to make more like that ;)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 12:17:13 PM by clgwli »
Squiggly

Offline Rexelle

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 01:48:29 PM »
Welcome to CDi, Foolishman - and I must say, that has to be an oxymoron! LOL!
Any man who plans to propose in Italy, possibly with a DBL sparkly, cannot, by definition, be foolish!

Having also been a Customer of DBL for over a decade, with both rings, earrings and semimounts, I KNOW you cannot go wrong here - in your budget, there are some fantastic colored and colorless stones and rings, and if nothing in the inventory is perfect for your soon-to-be-fiancee, I know he can make something that you will love!

My advise is to ask her best friend,.........see what info she can give you! I know, if anyone had asked my BFF, she'd have known exactly what I like, my ring size and everything ! Just make sure she can keep it all a secret!!!!

Good luck!

Michelle

Offline Rexelle

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 01:51:26 PM »
Of course, now that I've seen Clgwli's new pendant I'm leaning another direction (you don't mind a copy-cat do ya Squigs??) but thats something for another thread.
Feel free to start a new thread, but I never mind when an idea of mine is replicated.  In fact I said to Rob earlier that we need to make more like that ;)

I agree - please someone start a new 'pendants-to-be' thread!!
We can ALL jump on that one!!
I have my 1.04 W-X radiant that I'm thinking will hang nicely,.... just don't know how or what with yet. Those OMCs are calling my name too tho'........

Michelle

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 06:13:08 PM »
I'll put some thoughts in your initial post- I know others have already chimed in, but I'm just going by your initial post:

Hi, I'm a man who is looking to propose next month while on vacation in Italy.  Have a month to find a ring and get ready for the proposal, so I have a limited time window.  

I don't really have any qualified women to ask in my life. My mother never got an engagement ring (her request) and my sister doesn't care much either.  I'm the type of guy who doesn't care about these things myself, but want my girlfriend to be happy and realize mine does care about these things.

A close friend of mine just proposed.  He spent $16k on a ring that doesn't really stand out in anyway.  He bought from a local jeweler who was a friend of a friend and, I just don't get it.  It's nice, but fairly standard.  I

I'm looking for a ring that stands out, but I have a limited budget.  I'm looking to stay under $8k, but if something great arose, I can stretch the budget.  I have lots saved, but fear the impending house purchase, hopefully children expenses, and so on.  

I am willing to save on things that are only visible under 10x magnification.  So perfect clarity, and so on, are not really my concerns.

I would like a unique engagement ring and am leaning towards a colored diamond.  While my girlfriend is into many of the name brands, the name brands for diamonds (Cartier, Tiffany's, etc.), seem like a bit of a rip off to me.  I don't want to pay a premium because these companies had an effective marketing campaign 50 years ago and are living off of their reputation.  I see diamonds as a commodity.  
Although is convenient to think o them as such, diamonds can't be considered a commodity for a number of reasons. They're not fungible- IOW, each 1.00 Fancy Yellow VS1 Radiant is not equally desirable, or valuable.
Also- the price charged by a seller may be related to the value offered. Of course it may not be as well- but the least expensive place to buy is going to have to cut certain important services to get the price down.
For those who love walking int a very fancy store on Fifth Avenue, Tiffany may offer a service they find to be worth the money. Thankfullly (for us) a lot f folks want the quality of service and product, but don't need the fancy store.

In other words, I've pretty much narrowed to an online dealer.  I like what I've seen on dbl, but am considering other sites as well.

A few questions:

1) In my price range it seems as if the only colors available to me are: gray, brown, yellow and orange.  While I realize a pink ring would be perfect, would a women even like a ring in these colors (I do, but is a brown engagement ring going to annoy a women)?  Are colored diamonds (brown, yellow, etc.) acceptable for engagement rings or only for other jewelry?  

As a note, I personally like the Champagne and Gray diamonds the best (from what I can afford, but not sure how other women would react).

This is a very individual question. If 1000 ladies are dreaming of an engagement ring today, it's likely 950 of them are thinking of a similar stone ( Round colorless etc)
The other 50? Many are looking for other colorless fancy shaped diamonds.

Fancy Colored diamonds appeal to a different sort of individual. We know of many ladies wearing brown diamond engagement rings ( you called them Champagne) and a few ladies walking around with Chameleon diamonds, as they are more rare, so less of them out there. Yellow is very popular for engagement rings, in this scheme of things

2) Are there different factors for judging one of these rings?  I can't imagine that the four C's hold the same weight as in colorless diamonds?  Does clarity reduce in importance in colored diamonds?  
Yes ,clarity is less weighted in the process of valuation when considering fancy colored diamonds, however it's not totally irrelevant.

3) I want a natural color and do not want something irradiated or with fake colors added in a process.  Is it going to be hard to find a brightly colored diamond without these processes done?  I want a bright or deep color (I suppose the term is vivid) as opposed to a diamond  that is mostly clear and has hints or grey or brown and simply looks like an imperfect colorless diamond.

Brown diamonds tend to have "vivid" colors, and lower prices. There's a lot of "faint" fancy colored stones out there- but given that you don;t want that type of stone, it should be easy to avoid.

4)  Any tricks for getting a ring size?  She has a ring I could use to measure, but she would realize if it disappears for more than an hour or so.  Any suggestions?

LADIES..... HELP

5) Would a girl want a colored diamond engagement ring or should I just go the standard colorless route?
see above

6) I know platinum is generally preferred for colorless rings.  Is this true of colored diamonds as well or does gold, white gold, or silver work better with these colors?  Is there some chart to refer to for this?
NO chart- in fact, part of the service we offer is about which metal to use, and where

7) My vacation is a lengthy 23 days  :D.  Many online websites have a 30 day return policy.  It will be difficult to time out the whole ordering and shipment process, vacation, and possible return within this 30 day window.  While I am confident she will say yes, is it too risky to order online as I know I may not be able to return within the 30 day window?  Will online sellers like diamondsbylauren extend the return policy in certain situations and does anyone have any experience working with a company in this regard?

I've matured to the point where I realize I don't know what women want and never will truly understand how they think about these things (which is how I know I'm ready for marriage  >:D).  So I want a window for a return.

Thanks for your help.

I'll tell you this first.....the only thing more foolish than a man who wants to get married is one who thinks single life is better:)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 10:06:19 PM by Diamondsbylauren »
David

Offline Foolishman

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 11:51:14 PM »
Thank you all for your replies. 

To answer the question above, we are starting in Vienna, visiting Salzburg, Venice, Tuscany (Florence and some smaller towns), and Rome.  Not sure where I am planning on proposing, but will find someplace romantic.  Will just be walking around with the ring until I find the right moment.

Well, I did the mature thing and sat down with her and looked through the colored diamonds.  She hates colored diamonds and prefers the colorless ones.   ???  I honestly don't get it.  Colorless diamonds seem so lifeless to me, but she finds like the colored ones "look fake".

I'm not going to argue as it takes a few thousand off my budget.  But I guess I am in the wrong place now.

But thank you all for your help.  This really is a great forum with lots of helpful people.

Offline Debangel

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 11:56:49 PM »
You know, even though DBL specializes in colored diamonds, I believe David can get you anything you're looking for. Same craftsmanship and service, but your center stone to order.  I'd definitely call him before you count him out :)

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2012, 07:14:43 AM »
I admit I am glad you asked because some women really just want traditional colorless round brilliant or maybe a princess cut.  Honestly there is nothing wrong with colorless though I personally prefer to wear colored diamonds in my larger stones.

You actually are not in the wrong place if you want colorless.  While we do have an amazing selection of colored diamonds, we also have quite a few colorless as well.  Particularly in "fancy shapes" when it comes to our stock.

If she would like the very traditional round, you are in a great place as we are part of the Crafted by Infinity dealer network.  That means we have access to some of the most beautifully cut round brilliant diamonds. 

This one is out of budget (and rather large) but it is worth just looking at to see how lovely the diamonds are.  http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/crafted-by-infinity-round-brilliant-diamond-170ct-kvvs1-ideal-cut-agsl-r4437

We'd be able to find what you like if you are looking for perfectly cut rounds.

Another type of colorless stone we have that is truly special is an antique style cut diamond.  These are amazing and throw off some really cool colors
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-diamond-modern-antique-old-mine-brilliant-diamond-classic-solitaire-gia-r4303

By the way your trip sounds lovely.  I truly hope you two have a wonderful time!!!
Squiggly

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2012, 01:18:21 PM »

To answer the question above, we are starting in Vienna, visiting Salzburg, Venice, Tuscany (Florence and some smaller towns), and Rome.  Not sure where I am planning on proposing, but will find someplace romantic.  Will just be walking around with the ring until I find the right moment.

Well, I did the mature thing and sat down with her and looked through the colored diamonds.  She hates colored diamonds and prefers the colorless ones.   ???  I honestly don't get it.  Colorless diamonds seem so lifeless to me, but she finds like the colored ones "look fake".

I'm not going to argue as it takes a few thousand off my budget.  But I guess I am in the wrong place now.

But thank you all for your help.  This really is a great forum with lots of helpful people.

this proves how wise you are....I mean showing her and getting her opinion.
I have spoken to countless women who've worn rings they don;t love for many years just so they did not insult their man.

in terms of colorless- We LOVE them too!!!
We'd love to show you something special....
David

Offline firegypsy

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2012, 06:20:21 PM »

I just wanted to chime in too.  I recently bought a diamond from David that was not colored.  I honestly don't think I could have gotten a prettier stone within my budget.  I was told when I started looking that David was the guy-that his eye for stones was unparalleled.  I can say without hesitation that I'm ruined for all other vendors.  He is the only one I trust for diamonds PERIOD.  I was beyond satisfied with my purchase, as well as his setting of it.

Please don't leave-you are very much in the right place if what you are looking for is an outstanding diamond from an extremely knowledgeable individual.  DBL is the place to be, colored stone or no.   :)

Offline brushystarling

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2012, 07:38:31 PM »
I have been following this thread quite closely to see where it would end up, Mr Foolishman. I agree with lots of the posts here saying that DBL is really a great place to get a diamond and a ring, colored diamond or not.

David has been so accommodating to my fiancÚ and I and I have gotten my dream ring because of it. Our budget wasn't much more than yours and I got an extraordinary ring. I truly suggest you talk to David and talk to your girlfriend about her wants in a ring so we can help with suggestions  as well as get David's expertise, knowledge and good eye to get your girlfriend what she truly wants :)