Author Topic: Wedding Dress Dilemma  (Read 8076 times)

Offline brushystarling

Wedding Dress Dilemma
« on: August 16, 2012, 10:03:07 PM »
So. I am usually not a planner nor do I ever think too far ahead of anything. In fact, I was never a girl who was into planning out her wedding to the very last detail at age 8.

Now that I am engaged, I am stumped as to what I am doing and where I want to get my wedding dress. Two options:

1. Buy a nice dress in a bridal store, slightly cookie cutter and may have other people wear it. May I emphasize the fact that said bridal store may just have to be in the US.More convenient and easier to access for fittings and other questions.

2. Get a gorgeous dress custom made for you for the same price as a bridal store dress, with more detail, more attention to my likes and dislikes and would necessarily fit me like a glove. Problems, I really want said gorgeous custom dress from the Philippines.

See, I have been leaning towards option 2 however, I am not sure how much time I would have to fly there in order to get custom dress quotes and my vacation days are questionable thus not sure when/if I can actually fly there in time for a dress to be made on schedule for a wedding.

I am not sure about link posting so not going to. However I am dying to post some of their creations!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 10:07:40 PM by brushystarling »

Offline Rexelle

Re: Wedding Dress Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 12:03:05 AM »
What about option 3? - order dream dress from the Phillipines, do most of the designing via email, select fabric samples etc., via the mail, and fine tune the fitting once it arrives in the USA with a seamstress here, and you have your shoes and underwear to use to get everything perfect.

Saves you on vacation time, flights too and from, and loads of $$$$.........

Michelle

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 01:49:28 AM »
Link posting is OK. Just copy and paste the URL, and the forum software usually recognises it and puts the appropriate code around it!

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 08:00:47 AM »
I had my dress custom made for me here in the US.  We purchased the fabric in Puerto Rico though.  I had family who sent samples to me that they found and I chose from those samples.  When a family member came back to the US they brought the fabric with them.  No worries of shipping a dress or fabric or anything.  

The end result was a I had a blend of US & Puerto Rico for my dress as laces found in PR are not at all the same stuff we find in the US in general.  Much much cheaper that way too.

So what would I do?  See if you can find someone who understands Filipino culture/style at the least and see if they can make you a dress.  Not sure what your area is like but I know I could find a few here through some of my friends at least.  You could also consider ordering fabric from the Philippines if you have family or friends there who would help you out.  Then I would look in to option #2 and finally #3.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 08:23:22 AM by clgwli »
Elaine aka Squiggly
elaine@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline dovesgate

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 09:53:14 AM »
My sister-in-law ordered her dress from a now-defunct overseas website. She picked the dress, sent her measurements, and received the dress of her dreams.

I like the idea to design it by email then when you get your dress any alterations can be made by your local seamstress. Your local seamstress can also measure you properly if need be.

Offline Rexelle

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 11:24:54 AM »
I remarried 5 years ago - seems like a lifetime ago, after having two more squishies!

As I am spoiled - totally rotten - because I work part-time event planning in my town, and my mum is a professional seamstress, my wedding planning took 18 months, and I had it EXACTLY the way I wanted. And did it on a very tight budget, (mostly because I am cheap, lol!...but it helps when you know all the wholesalers, and deal with limo drivers, caterers, reception locales, wine reps, florists and book local bands on a regular basis!!!)

I went off with my GFs, Future-MIL and SILs-to-be, mum and whoever else, and had heaps of fun trying on dresses over the course of several weekend jaunts with different sets of peeps. Travelled back home to London, then to NYC, Atlanta, LA, New Orleans, wherever took my fancy and there was a wedding dress shop, and tried on everything and anything anyone suggested. I worked out what I liked, and what I didn't like, AND THEN went to a couture designer, and had my dress made. I had a BLAST! I didn't stress my mum out by asking her to make MY dress - that would've been too much, but she did get to make a couple of BM dresses, and a fantastic job she did, too - better than the designers' shop IMO. And I got a very figure-flattering dress, beautifully made in the style I wanted, the fabric and color I wanted, at a great price.

If time and budget allows, I would HIGLY recommend that you at least go try on dresses, preferrably with someone you trust, at least TWICE. Having planned, and helped plan more weddings than I want to remember, ....when you put on YOUR dress, you just KNOW. I spent a year looking, and looking, .....and looking. I tried on more dresses than I had hot dinners,.... and none of them were THE ONE.

When I put on the one the designer made,..........I just knew.  I LOVED IT. And five years later, every time I see that dress haning in my 'formals' closet, I STILL LOVE IT.
THATS how I'd like to think you will feel, in several years, looking at the dress you will wear for your special day (at least for one of them, right?).

Good luck, and have fun - and keep us updated !
Michelle.

Offline brushystarling

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 07:18:21 PM »
Rexelle made a good point that there should be an option 3. Thanks Rexelle!

Anyway I was actually looking into that because the couturiers in the Philippines do have overseas clients and are willing to work with them to get their dresses made. Why I am so hesitant about doing it isn't because I don't trust the couturiers in the Philippines but because I am a control freak when I put my mind into it (hence why I CHOSE all elements of my engagement ring - fiance has finally given up on the 'surprise' engagement ring -> I don't do surprise well).

Another reason I want to get a dress from the Philippines is because I truly want a dress in the pina cloth - which is the same fabric as the barong tagalog (which is the traditional formal dress shirt filipino men wear- usually worn during weddings or other formal occasions). And the filipiniana style really is appealing to me.

I got a picture from a couturier I am thinking about using to give you an example of what a filipiniana and a barong tagalog looks like. A filipiniana dress is what the lady is wearing. I am not too sure I am going with a filipiniana dress but the couple there is wearing clothing from the pina cloth.

One of the couturiers I am thinking about using is Veluz Reyes. She has the most amazing dresses, in fact so amazing that her stuff ended up on a wedding forum originating in the US (when she is just only known in the Philippines). My jaws just about dropped when I saw her creations and all of them are unique and designed specifically for the bride. No cookie cutter here!

http://veluzreyes.blogspot.ca/

For me, SHE is one dress couturier that I would have on my shortlist. I will delve on my two other choices but this post is getting too long. Check out the link and guys, let me know what you think of her creations! I would love some feedback!

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 08:18:01 PM »
I absolutely love that fabric used for barong tagalogs.  It reminds me so much of the fine dress shirts from Puerto Rico (Guayaberas).  Anyway I do not blame you for wanting the style because I know it is quite different to the styles in the US.  I should ask my dear friend where her dress came from.  she got married in the Philippines but was living in the US.  Her dress was gorgeous but not sure how it was done.  So similar to you but reverse kind of situation too.

I love the designer you found.  Holy smokes I'd kill for a dress like the 2nd one in particular.  Stunning dresses for sure!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 08:18:22 PM by clgwli »
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline dovesgate

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 08:52:41 PM »
Oh my goodness! "Jika," on the second page, has a breathtaking dress. I have to say thank you for sharing this website.

Offline brushystarling

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 09:41:54 PM »
I absolutely love that fabric used for barong tagalogs.  It reminds me so much of the fine dress shirts from Puerto Rico (Guayaberas).  Anyway I do not blame you for wanting the style because I know it is quite different to the styles in the US.  I should ask my dear friend where her dress came from.  she got married in the Philippines but was living in the US.  Her dress was gorgeous but not sure how it was done.  So similar to you but reverse kind of situation too.

I love the designer you found.  Holy smokes I'd kill for a dress like the 2nd one in particular.  Stunning dresses for sure!

I am not surprised that Barong Tagalogs look alot like Guayaberas, there may be something to that coincidence!

Aren't these dresses just AWESOME?! That is why I cannot imagine myself wearing a cookie cutter dress from the US of A. -.- I see these and I think to myself "I deserve THAT *points to Veluz Reyes website*, not THAT *points to boring dresses from Kleinfeld's website*"

Oh my goodness! "Jika," on the second page, has a breathtaking dress. I have to say thank you for sharing this website.

You are welcome! I am so happy to share it. You see my dilemma now? Awesome dresses, far away designers. :P

Offline Rexelle

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 11:05:21 PM »
I just spent an hour surfing wedding dresses..........Brushy, that site has SO MANY fantastic ones!!! Abby on her Loveletters first page, and Sarah,.....all the little details!!The bling!!! I'm just glad Im not getting married, only ring shopping  since finding just one as my baby-gift will be hard enough!!!

I STILL think you need to go try on a few dresses over here in the US, so as to get some design ideas if you do use someone like her,....and obviously it CAN be done! Go for it girl,... and have LOADS of fun in the process!!!

Michelle

Offline brushystarling

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 12:51:10 AM »
I just spent an hour surfing wedding dresses..........Brushy, that site has SO MANY fantastic ones!!! Abby on her Loveletters first page, and Sarah,.....all the little details!!The bling!!! I'm just glad Im not getting married, only ring shopping  since finding just one as my baby-gift will be hard enough!!!

I STILL think you need to go try on a few dresses over here in the US, so as to get some design ideas if you do use someone like her,....and obviously it CAN be done! Go for it girl,... and have LOADS of fun in the process!!!

Michelle

You are right, Michelle. I should try some on to see what shape flatter my shape the best and what type of neckline I would like. I am just bummed out bridal shops in north america are carrying strapless as a majority. I have no problem with that but I would like something DIFFERENT and a little more unique.

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 05:14:59 AM »
I had no love for most of the styles available in the mainstream stores when I got married. Strapless, bustier, plunging necklines and backless dresses were really popular. The Minister would have passed out if I'd rocked up in one of these frocks (gorgeous as they were). I put together a collage of things I liked from various dresses, plus some sketches of my own, and found a really good dressmaker. The other advantage there is that the dress is made to your dimensions, rather than cut down and fitted from a standard size. It worked out to be fairly cost effective, too.
Customer Service Associate
jennifer@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline brushystarling

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 09:24:08 PM »
I had no love for most of the styles available in the mainstream stores when I got married. Strapless, bustier, plunging necklines and backless dresses were really popular. The Minister would have passed out if I'd rocked up in one of these frocks (gorgeous as they were). I put together a collage of things I liked from various dresses, plus some sketches of my own, and found a really good dressmaker. The other advantage there is that the dress is made to your dimensions, rather than cut down and fitted from a standard size. It worked out to be fairly cost effective, too.

Yeah I am a fairly conservative dresser, not super conservative but I have bigger busts and I rather haven my girls reined in and stay reined in for my wedding, the styles I found in the Philippines are a bit more conservative without looking dowdy which is a good medium IMO.

Offline brushystarling

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 10:00:39 PM »
Another one of my favorites from the Philippines is Veejay Floresca. I researched his background before I even started to seriously consider him in my list of maybe as a dress maker. He was a finalist in Project Runway Philippines and he has been schooling in London, UK in Orr to improve his skills. I love that! Constant learners, I admire!

The first photo I posted in this thread was a dress of his. And I am just so in love with how well he drapes cloth to fit the body properly and his filipiniana style for a wedding dress.

http://veejayfloresca.blogspot.ca

Offline Rexelle

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2012, 01:47:20 PM »
Brushy, I totally understand!
I'm a top-heavy girl, too, and it's only gotten worse after having the two beh-behs. I can exercise the inches off my arse, but it ain't working up top! LOL!

Do some online research into the designers that make some styles that you like, and then go to bridal stores that stock those designers to try some things on. Buy a few wedding magazines, and make a 'scrap book' ( like a pinterest page!) of all the things you like - just chop them out, but remember to note where they come from! Remember to stay 'seasonal' to get the best value from fresh flowers and food.

I once drove four hours each way to try on ONE dress...........I liked it, it kept 'the girls' in place, but it wasn't THE ONE. But then I also went to play at the lower end of the Bridal 'food-chain', and just looked at the silhouettes that the styles created, not the fabric, or finish, since that wasn't anything I wanted to look too closely at !  ::)
I was all fun, and it all helped me finally design the dress I wore that I love so much.

I'm not seeing anything on either designers page that I don't LOVE, altho' anyone who has been to my homeland and is open to fresh new ideas, and stays current has got to get a gold star!

Keep us updated! - there are enough of us plotters, planners and enablers on here to help you get everything done!

Michelle

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2012, 02:34:52 PM »
I'm such a dork, I totally forgot to ask my friend yesterday how she handled her dress with living in the US and getting married in the Philippines.  I'll try to remember to ask her in a few weeks when I see her again.  I was hoping she'd have a hint or two with how she handled it all.

I truly love the other designer too.  In general the Filipina wedding dress is just gorgeous with the style.  It's vaguely familiar to some styles I like and much like the men's dress shirts, I am not shocked.  It probably all has to do with a shared background in a way.  Just think about what the history of the Spanish-American war had to do with both countries.

When I got married I was significantly heavier so I kind of hid my shape.  Now I'd kill for dresses like those.  If I were you, I'd do everything in my power to see if you can get a dress by one of your favorite designers.

Another option I sort of thought  about after looking through photos.  Can you get a very fun dress here and create a jacket type overlay to have a blend of both cultures?  A totally random thought there I know.
Elaine aka Squiggly