Author Topic: Is this a good diamond?  (Read 3117 times)

Offline robin623

Is this a good diamond?
« on: June 20, 2012, 07:04:39 AM »
So my financee was not too happy with the ring I purchased and we decided to return it and get a new one. she would like to get a diamond that is as big and as shiney as possible. She does not care much about the color or clarity of the diamond as long as it does not affect the shininess of the stone too much.

So here are the new diamonds we are looking at a jeweler:

First one, 1.5 carat, J color, I1 (I see a little white cloud to the botton left of the diamond under magnifiying glasses, my fiancee couldn't see anything using naked eye), excellent cut, GIA certified. The dealer is quoting us $4800 for the stone.

Second one,1.5 carat, I color, I1 (I see some white lines under magnifiying glasses, my fiancee couldn't see anything using naked eye), very good cut, GIA certified. The dealer is quoting us $6100 for the stone.

So I have couple questionss.

First, the dealer told us that it's the cut and the size of the diamond that affects the shininess of the stone the most; color gives a kind of warm sparkle and clarity does not really matter much, is it true? Are the stones listed above going to lose a lot of shininess due to the lower grade clour and clarity?

Second, do you think the stones I quoted above are good deals? Which one do you think gives a higher value?

Thank you so much for all the help!
Diamonds are Forever

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
Re: Is this a good diamond?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 11:38:55 AM »
The dealer is partially correct. Colour will not affect sparkle or brightness. With clarity, it's a little bit more complex, particularly at I1 level. Some I1 stones may be affected by dark, diffused clouds or twinning wisps, but since you have seen these particular stones, they are probably OK. If you want to verify this, my recommendation is to go around and check a few other (less included but otherwise similar) diamonds and compare their brightness and sparkle with the two you are considering.

On price: yes, they are reasonable prices - though whether they are "good deals" depends on far more details than what you have provided, and whether they are "value" depends totally on what you and your fiancée value.

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 07:26:50 AM »
OMC said things so well.  I will touch on the size relating to brightness though.  I am not sure what the seller was trying to say about size and shininess.  There is the obvious a bigger stone can show bigger flashes of light, but it's not a guarantee even.

Color doesn't usually matter in terms of sparkle or brightness - the exception would be some dark/deep fancy colors might show less sparkle or might be less lively.  A J or I color probably will look equally as bright - but may not look equally as "white" as a higher color.  For some people that is an issue, for others it is not.  I did say probably equally as bright because cut of a stone can make a difference.  I1 clarities can look less lively but not all are that way.  In fact I've seen some amazingly beautiful I1s so it isn't a hard and fast rule.  Just harder to say for sure not seeing a stone.

I truly believe a stone is only a value if you love it and don't mind the amount you paid!  It isn't hard to look up GIA diamonds to make sure that your prices aren't totally out of norm, but beyond that I can't say much more about the value of a stone.

Which gives a higher value?  Honestly without seeing stones that is impossible to say.  Not all I1 diamonds are created equal.  Also an I colored diamond could look very white compared to a J (depending where on the scale each stone falls) or it could look nearly the same.  Again I always suggest going with the diamond that pulls you in more.  If neither stone really "speaks" to you, then keep looking.  That's kind of how I feel in general about all gem/jewelry purchases.  Never buy something you don't love!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 07:30:33 AM by clgwli »
Elaine aka Squiggly
elaine@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline lovecolor

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 08:25:06 AM »
Hi Robin623,

I really don't have to say anything more than what has been said here already...but I need to say just one thing...what the HECK is that dealer talking about???  Clarity doesn't matter???  Okay, it's true that there are "good" I1's and "bad" I1's...but it matters!  One other thing...I don't buy into the comment that the size of the diamond will affect the "shininess" of the stone.  A 1/2 carat diamond with a very good cut, eye clean clarity will sparkle or "shine" just as much as a larger stone with same cut and clarity.  I am assuming you are talking about a Round Brilliant shape...with the many facets that RB diamonds have, clarity is "not as" worrisome, because they can hide a lot more imperfections than an Emerald or Asscher cut stone can...anyway, a good I1 clarity can make a diamond a better "value" because those diamonds are priced less than the SI's and above...just as the lower color graded diamonds are priced less than the higher white colored diamonds are.  Offering more "value", which to me, means cost less...but how white or "ivory" you want your diamond to be is definitely a matter of taste....and "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"!         

Good luck with your search...Congratulations and best wishes to you both!      :heart2:       

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 08:42:33 AM »
I may be wrong, but I think you are misreading what the dealer said, Lovecolor. Not "clarity doesn't matter", but "clarity does not affect light performance" - which by and large is correct above I2, with a few I1 and SI2 where the presence of diffused inclusions may make the stone look dull.

Offline lovecolor

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 09:28:59 AM »
You think I may have gotten a little too "annoyed" at this Dealer's view on clarity???   (I might be just a little "sensitive" against dealers trying to make "little" out of something important...for the sake of a sale.)     :dontknow:

Offline lovecolor

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 09:31:30 AM »
OMC... :-*

(That's for setting us all straight!)

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 10:04:40 AM »
 :Flowers2::friends:
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 10:05:06 AM by oldmancoyote »