Author Topic: RADIANT CUTS...  (Read 9141 times)

Offline Dresden

RADIANT CUTS...
« on: June 14, 2012, 12:08:53 AM »
Oh the lovely Radiant cut...were for art thou

These are not seen very often and it makes me wonder why, i know that brilliant cuts seem to be popular but is there something wrong with the radiant cut?

I, myself have seen a radiant cut that deep within it looks lively but the sparks just dont appear to 'jump' out and grab your attention.

Is it just this particular one i saw or are they all like this?

They are really nice but that is just the issue i had with them

Offline DiamondsAreForever

Re: RADIANT CUTS...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 04:53:27 AM »
I would guess that because of the number of facets, their shape and arrangement, the crushed ice look is what you get, as opposed the the splintery sparks that one would see in round brilliant, emerald and pear cuts, with the latter having the best of both worlds due to the facet arrangement. 

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 07:14:44 AM »
First of all not all radiant cuts look the same.  I've seen some that are very much like what you described - a bottomless pit of sparkle that totally grab you and bring you in - and I've seen some really "chunky" looking radiants.  Mine is very much the former. 

Why are radiants not as popular?  They are newer to begin with.  They were created the same year I was born in fact which means they haven't been around near as long as some of the others.  Honestly locally I've seen pretty much only round and a few princess cut diamonds.  I have one friend with a pear and one with a cushion.  Then me with the radiant.  So it seems that the standard is still round in most circles. 

One can really only guess why it is that way, but in general most stores I visited years ago do not carry much beyond round, princess and emerald cuts in person.  One store had some radiants and other shapes, but that seems to be what they sell.  I admit that is why I was drawn to DBL years ago.  So many unique cuts and colors!
Elaine aka Squiggly
elaine@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 08:38:53 AM »
It depends a bit - "radiant" covers a multitude of cut styles (though the name should be properly applied to one only, which is now called "original radiant"), and there are those that definitely shout at you across a room.

However, when you get close, you notice that because of the cut (with a relatively thin crown and largish table) the sparkle comes from "within" rather than "around" the stone as it does in a round - this is the best way I can find to describe the effect, at least to my eyes. However, there are rectangular (or rather square) versions of modified brilliant cuts that have a much more "outward" effect, but they are not true radiants, rather closer a version of a traditional round cut in a square outline.

One of the reasons why you don't see so many white radiants is because of the optics: the light path within a radiant is much longer than in a round, so any body colour is amplified in the face-up view. Conversely, it's a popular cut for fancy colours for the same reason.

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 05:02:09 PM »
From my position here, the reasons you don't see as many radiant cuts is simple- money.
As it stands right now- and has been this way for the better part of a year- round diamond prices are so high, that Fancy Shapes have become undervalued by comparison.
Therefore any cutter with a choice, is choosing rounds.
The solution for this will come as more consumers demand fancy shapes, and the prices of them will rise- prompting more cutters to cut them.

Then we come to the many variations on the design created by Henry Grossbard in 1977 ( sorry for giving your age away Squig:)
In many cases, cutters have gone in different directions than Henry, creating stones that look more someone had pasted the facet pattern of a round onto the shape of a radiant. Many of these variants are quite unattractive to my eye.

OMC described it nicely. When done correctly a radiant tends to grab light from a wider dispersion- and return it in a different way than a round.
I disagree that the longer light paths make it a bad choice for colorless- have a look at this one- an Original Radiant Cut, in a D color- it compares favorably with a ideal cut RBC for "whiteness"
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 05:02:45 PM by Diamondsbylauren »
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 05:19:44 PM »
I'm not saying it's a bad choice. I'm saying it's not popular... though of course the fact that a round from the same rough can get a premium price will be a significant driver of what cut is chosen.

Offline Dresden

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 08:32:07 PM »
 :) :) oh thank-you all  :) :)

lovely comments and very informative, more informative than i could have imagined.

My Radiant is a 2.01ct F/S12 - ideal excellent cut - graded by EGL

It just looks quite sad  :'(

It looks nice inside itself but just does not do much else, but it is nice to have a different cut other than a round.

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 09:11:48 PM »
With things like this I actually wonder if there is kind if a cyclical reason why you don't see them.  They aren't as popular because not as many are cut that way - and not that many are cut that way because they are not as popular.  Of course keeping in mind because they are not as popular they will not command the same price.

Just a thought that has crossed my mind since owning mine.  Not one meant to be taken as any more than a "is this how the mind works?" kind of thought.

I also can tell you that most of my friends wondered what the cut was and never even heard of a radiant before.  Princess is even called "square cut" by many.  Round is easy because it's always, well round (or roundish at least)

Dresden I am sorry you have such a sad looking radiant.  I own a nearly colorless transitional cut round, a pink round and a yellow radiant diamond (among a bunch of round diamond melee... hoping to add to my collection shortly though tee hee hee) and each are cut differently but all are stunning.  A beautifully cut radiant is amazing to me.  My friends can't stop looking at it even years later.  I have one who constantly pulls my hand out just to look at my ring (in my avatar) It really is unique and stunning.  Entrancing even in most lighting.

My transitional round doesn't fare as well in bright light, but excels in "candlelight" types of lighting.  Such an amazing rainbow of colors comes out of that stone.  The pink just rocks in all lighting.  The coolness of that stone also comes from a color shift thanks to some fluor - it looks almost lavender in sunlight.  

So I feel every diamond can be beautiful for their own as long as they are well cut.    Do you have a photo of your radiant?  I wonder if there is anything that could be done to help your radiant shine though.

Oh and David no worries on outing my age.  In fact I'm still delusional enough to think I don't look my age yet ;)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 09:13:01 PM by clgwli »
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline Dresden

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 09:39:19 PM »
your Avatar is just a stunner! You should be very proud  :D

I always like the look of crushed ice that was what drew me to the radiant and beacuse they are not as popular i thought why not!

My Radiant is in a cluster setting, it has 14-odd Pink Diamonds surrounding it and has a basket underneath,  it is semi-open.

Cant upload the picture right now as it is a bit large, will need to scale it down.

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 02:19:30 AM »
Dresden - best way of posting images is by linking them in through a web/cloud storage site like Picasa, SkyDrive, ImageShack, Photobucket etc. This way you (we) get higher quality images and there are far fewer restrictions on size - and the basic accounts at all of the above are free.

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 03:51:15 PM »
Feel free to e-mail me (address in my sig) also and I can help upload if you don't have a good place to do it.

Thank you for your comments on my radiant.  I got her from David over 2 years ago now and couldn't be happier. 
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline Dresden

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 09:17:24 PM »
 :) :) Thank-you all for being so kind and helpful  :) :)

I shall E-mail you that picture Elaine...

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2012, 07:52:28 AM »
For Dresden :)

Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline lovecolor

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2012, 09:40:13 AM »
Hi Dresden,

Welcome to CDI!   :)

Your Radiant cut diamond doesn't look sad at all in this picture you posted...It's a beautful ring!       

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2012, 09:59:08 AM »
I admit I didn't think it looked sad myself when I saw the photo.  That is one heck of a ring and hopefully you do enjoy wearing it a lot!
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline Dresden

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2012, 10:35:19 PM »
 :) :) Oh thank-you all, you are so welcoming and helpful  :) :)

Nice job uploading  :D

I just thought it was sad looking as i dont see the sparks jumping out, but maybe the Radiant cuts dont do that. Comes from a Girl who is used to Brilliant cuts  ;D ;D

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2012, 07:21:37 AM »
When you say sparks, are you talking of the rainbow colors (fire)?  I usually don't see much fire in any of my diamonds unless I am under bright sunlight.  Spot light works too but sunshine is when I see it the most.  My radiant does do fire, but it moves around more.  I probably am not explaining it right, but on my round fire only comes from certain areas of the stone.  On the radiant there are lots more areas that give me fire, but most are smaller and the more I move, the more I see it in different areas.

My round and radiant are two different beasts for sure in almost every single way but both totally cool.
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline Dresden

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2012, 12:41:02 AM »
You said it just as i would of Elaine  :)

The Radiant sparks just sort of jump aeound inside the Diamond but every now and then one will jump out at ya - quite a suprise  ;D

As for the Brilliant cuts, they jump all over the place, they seem to be much more alive - i think the path of light is longer (something like that)

Each has their own beauty - i still love Radiant cuts and ASSCHERS for that matter...dont own one of them, yet  ;D

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2012, 12:46:11 AM »
Both radiants and (classically cut) rounds are brilliant cuts - the pavilion facets all converge towards a point under the table.

The light path is shorter in rounds, but most importantly the virtual facet size (i.e. the perceived facet size once one takes into account all the internal reflections) is much smaller in radiants, which is why they have a more splintery look with smaller flashes.

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2012, 07:18:40 AM »
OMC said a lot of things so well!  I absolutely do not want to put down your radiant cut at all, but I personally think my radiant is more alive than any round brilliant I've seen.  There is so much more going on with the stone at all times.  Yes the flashes of light and fire might be smaller, but I've had some amazingly large flashes of light and fire come from my radiant.  I have a harder time photographing it because one little move causes me to lose it quicker than any RB.

It could be that you have a more "sleepy" radiant compared to others.  I love how dazzling a radiant is.  I love the little pinfire all over the place and I love the lack of a pattern that rounds usually have. 

I am not sure I would say that your average round brilliant is more alive than an average radiant though.

Asschers are really neat too.  I love them (and emeralds) as well.  Though I like them personally in smaller sizes based on how they look.  That's a totally personal preference.  If someone handed me a 2ct emerald I would take it and love it ;)
Elaine aka Squiggly