Author Topic: New to the forums!  (Read 2727 times)

Offline JayCee

New to the forums!
« on: May 28, 2012, 11:59:51 AM »
Hello all - I've been reading the forums here for a bit, and I figured you might be the perfect bunch to help me out..

My FI and I have been looking at rings since the beginning of 2012, however I had SUCH a hard time finding something I thought I would *love forever* that fit our budget(we have a son.) We did all the mall stores and such, the limited shapes and colors was a big turn off, and the pushy sales people basically made online shopping our only option. After months of looking at what seemed to be the same thing and swooning over rings we could no way afford without breaking the bank.. I loved the "pink lemonade" style at DBL, and then I stumbled across my lovely R4400..

So now I have a ring I really love and that worked out well.. however, I have two concerns: Cleaning, and the band.. I work in the hands on end of the nursing field, so I'm constantly using various soaps, lotions, and creams, handwashing, and changing gloves.. I don't want to leave my ring at home every night so I just want a product that's good for 18k white/yellow/rose gold, as well as diamonds.. to keep it as shiny as ever! I've read good things about "Caribbean Gem Cleaner" and was wondering if any of you have experience with it, or have other suggestions?

Now about the band, it's not super thick which is a look I love, but I want to keep my ring protected.. so I've been looking at guards, and geez is there a limited selection?! I know some people use 2 bands as well, which I suppose would be fine, but we're not trying to spend as much as we did on my ERing on this, lol. Any ideas on this would be great!

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
Re: New to the forums!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 03:42:23 PM »
Hi JayCee, welcome to CDI.

Cleaning: specific jewellery cleaning solutions work fine, but so does dish soap (washing up liquid, for those East of Maine), and for diamonds a steam cleaner is probably the best cleaning treatment ever, though it may be expensive.

The band is probably much better "protected" on its own than sitting next to another piece of metal, particularly if either or both are set with stones. If you like the idea/look of multiple rings, fine, but they are probably the greatest cause of damage to each other.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 03:43:57 PM by oldmancoyote »

Offline JayCee

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 09:05:56 AM »
Thank you for the reply! I have tried the dish soap(washing up liquid? that's a new one.. lol) but it looks a little smudged to me after.. Maybe one of those polishing/cleaning cloths they sell on amazon will do the trick? I had no idea other bands would cause more damage, I truly thought the point of a guard was to protect the actual ring.

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 09:48:41 AM »
I find that if you use very warm water with the dish soap and let the items soak for a little while then brushing with a soft brush like a baby/kid toothbrush works better than just plain soap and water.  The more purified the water the better.

After I brush off my diamond jewelry, I dip/rinse with rubbing alcohol and then dry with a hair dryer.  I've been testing out lots of methods and this one really seems to work the best for me. 

In fact after a bad experience with a gem cleaner leaving a film on my rings, I have just used Dawn (though I know Palmolive works well too) and the very warm/hot water with the alcohol rinse.  The hair dyer is just a small step I use to make sure the alcohol dries even quicker - though alcohol alone will evaporate quicker than water.

My hair dryer is usually on medium or low heat and it works fine.

Ring guards seemed to be very popular for settings that either couldn't have a regular wedding band ist flush or to make a solitaire have the look of a 3 stone ring or other type of embellishments.  They really don't guard a ring at all, just change how it looks.

You are lucky in that your lovely ring can have a wedding band easily sit flush next to it with minimal wear.  There will be scratching but it won't be near as bad as other rings.  I have a similar setting (sans diamonds) to the ring you have as well as a very similar matching diamond band I wear with it often.  Yes there are scratches but nothing horrible.  I wouldn't pick rings to "protect" it like OMC did say.  Add a ring if you want once you are married, but you don't have a need to protect it with a guard at all.

Congratulations and I must say you picked a gorgeous ring.  Oh and welcome to CDI as well :)
Squiggly

Offline lovecolor

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 10:00:39 AM »
Hi JayCee, 

I love your "pink lemonade" ER...Best wishes and congratulations!  The advise given is all good...I'd only add that, if at all possible, maybe you should take off your ER before washing and moisturizing your hands.  I always try to put it in a pocket right before my hands are being enveloped in any creamy solution...it's a little habit I have...just make sure you always put it back on before you forget where you put it!     

Anyway, welcome to CDI!  :)       

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 02:10:58 PM »
Welcome JayCee!!!

In terms of cleaning- have you looked at the "Jewel Jet"?
it's about $120 and we use it here to clean rings before we put them in the box.
It's not as good as the ones we have in the factory, but yet it does work.
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline dovesgate

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 03:33:02 PM »
I loved my ring guard before it broke. I'm not entirely sure how much "protection" it offered my solitaire but I have had some problems with it. It was a pair of pink tourmalines and first a stone popped out then the piece of gold in the center next to my solitaire snapped in half. I haven't decided to fix it or use the tourmalines as doo-dads for my studs. I might just have to fix it because it looked so pretty as a 3-stone ring.

Offline dovesgate

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 10:42:12 PM »
By the way, welcome to the forums!

Offline JayCee

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 07:21:27 PM »
Thank you for the compliments on my ring, the tips and the welcomes! I did try blow drying and it did make a difference! I guess some of it was water spots left behind.. I have not looked at the jewel jet, but I will check it out.. again, thanks everyone! :)

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 09:37:00 PM »
Hi JayCee, congratulations on your new sparkly and welcome to the forum.  :hello:

Diamonds are notorious for attracting all sorts of dirt and dust, more so than other gemstones. I feel your pain! Also, my sister-in-law is a nurse practitioner and says she never wears any rings to work except for her plain wedding band because her tasks are so hands-on. So, I appreciate your predicament, especially with all the smaller stones featured in the shank and halo of your ring.

As others have advised, I soak my rings in very warm water with a mild soap. Afterwards, I brush carefully woth a soft, baby toothbrush. Then, I rinse in water and white vinegar (my take on the rubbing alcohol). Sometimes I rinse in plain running water before the water-vinegar rinse. Next, I dry with a lint-free cloth to get rid of spots and surface blemishes. I sometimes use the hairdryer to help dry the underside. As David mentioned, the JewelJet works great; I use mine occasionally.

Of course, there is no better cleaning than one from a professional jeweler like David. If you can, especially because your ring features intricate work with the smaller diamonds on the shank and around the halo, you may want to have your ring checked and cleaned by a reputable jeweler every six months or so to be sure there are no loose stones or worn parts. Between jewelry checks, you may want to hold your ring up to your ear and give it a gentle shake to listen for any loose (rattling) stones. If there is ever a problem, return it to David for the best of care.

Regarding the guard ring issue, I agree with OMC. ANY rings worn side-by-side, especially white gold, will show wear, unless they are soldered together. The best you can do is be sure each of your rings fits your finger properly and that there are no damaged or protruding parts that could harm an adjacent ring.

Congratulations again, JayCee, and I'm SURE that you'll SOON be posting a photo of your exquisite ring on your finger.  >:D

Offline brushystarling

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 02:22:25 AM »
I am a Registered Nurse and worn some of my rings to work before and sadly forgotten to take them out before using any soaps, lotions or alcohol based hand rubs so it's really tough on rings. When I was still in school, I use to use the same machines that cleaned glasses with ultrasonic pulses and it worked well for me (since I worked at an Optical).

When I get my sparkler (whenever that is *hints to the boyfriend*), I will not use it at work. Wish I could but now that I am working full-time, I can't imagine the amount of... "stuff" (as in bacteria..viruses..gunk) will get into the nooks and crannies and harboring superbugs. So, mine will stay at home.

Anyway! Welcome to the forums, JayCee! :)