Author Topic: Hi! This has been a long time coming...  (Read 9171 times)

Offline hbunny

Re: Hi! This has been a long time coming...
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2012, 12:18:59 AM »
[snip]
Also - I noticed that for the stones I was considering, there were sometimes differences in carat weight but not much difference in length x width.  The difference came in depth.  Is there an ideal depth for a radiant?  Does shallower necessarily mean less light reflection?
Short answers: no, and no.

Long(er) answers: definitely not.

Many people misunderstand the reason why there are table and depth % measurements on a report: the reason is that they are the simplest measures to take, and therefore the least expensive and easiest to replicate when identifying the stone. They have a relatively minor impact on light performance, though they may give some clues as to whether the stone is unduly "fat" or poorly cut. Light reflection depends a lot more on pavilion cut angles, which however are difficult to measure (and in the case of a rectangular (or oval) shape  can vary considerably along the length of the girdle).

Thank you, OMC... I have to admit that I didn't completely understand, but I understood enough to get your point - and your short answer definitely helps.   :)

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2012, 04:17:56 AM »
You are most welcome. If you want me to try to explain something in a slightly different way, please shout. Also, I think these three papers by GIA - on rounds, but many of the principles are about optics, not the shape of the diamond - may be useful/helpful. If nothing else as a sleep aid.

http://www.gia.edu/diamondcut/pdf/Fall_2001_Cut.pdf
http://www.gia.edu/diamondcut/pdf/cut_fall2004.pdf
http://www.gia.edu/diamondcut/pdf/Fall_1998_Cut.pdf

Now, to your new idea, R4354:

No GIA - no problem. David is very conservative in grading - it's probably a Y-Z.
W-X - no problem. This is a W-X:  >:D

Do bear in mind that a fair part of the colour is being picked up from the setting - which could be done on R4354 as well, but it may cost a bit more than a "normal" single bezel (more on this totally remarkable ring and stone here).

However - however - it is going to look totally different from what you had in mind to start with, and in my opinion a less nice ring. Also, a larger stone set E-W in a bezel starts being pretty wide (about 10-11 mm, or 1/2"), which may be a bit of a comfort issue if you have slender hands (DW has a 6.5/6.75 and that size of "flat" is about the upper end for her on a simple setting).
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 04:27:56 AM by oldmancoyote »

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2012, 08:29:40 AM »
To answer about color, let me start off with this.  We have had these pictures off and on in listings to help show how certain yellows will look set.  I just cropped them up and put them side by side so they would fit on a page easily.

Also wanted to show these...
First a glamor shot of Sunny so you can see a photo David took of her since the ones below are mine - well one obviously isn't but you know.  I was blown away with how deep yellow she looked when I got the photo

and now my own photos next to David's stock photo

This is Sunny (yep that's my diamond's name) loose, set in a simple solitaire (had no clue what I wanted so she stayed that way for a year) and then now in the double bezel.  Even my bezel which isn't designed the same way that the beautiful halo ring that OMC posted, does give off a good amount of help with the yellow.

What I really love about my ring is that in some lighting, my diamond blends with the color of the 18K Yellow Gold metal and looks *massive*  Other times it obviously is a very vibrant yellow that really does look closer to a Fancy Color.  I've had three jewelers ask me if it was a Fancy Yellow even next to other Fancy Yellows (one was Tiffany and two local jewelers - one who was cleaning it for me and the other was fixing some old earrings I bought from them ages ago - pre DBL as I call it).  So these lighter yellows are fascinating to me because they do have a range they look depending on the lighting.

The good thing about the single bezel is that it has a lot of yellow gold in the mounting around the stone to help the color as well.  Even more so than my bezel.

I realize I haven't answered yet, but you need to ask yourself what shade of yellow do you want?  To go from the size of stones you had to the 1.02ct W-X would be noticeable.  There is absolutely no denying that.  You originally said that color was *the* most important to you.  I do get the feeling that size is really up there too and there is *nothing* wrong with that.  I admit I wanted a certain size or larger (5x5mm was my minimum) and I got lucky that David had Sunny (.93ct for the record).  Now in a bezel she's HUGE and I love it...

You have to decide first what color you really would be happy with.  When I was looking I wanted S-T and above.  I am actually happier with the slightly more yellow.  As much as I love FY diamonds I actually really do love the Y-Z and FLY best.  That's my *personal* preference.  So do you like a softer yellow or that can look very yellow many times or do you want yellow all the time no matter what the lighting?

I will disagree with OMC on the E-W thing though.  My double bezel which comes from a stone that is 6.34 x 5.15 mm goes to approximately 9.5 x 8.3 mm.  So if a double bezel added about 1.5mm to the stone on either side, I don't think that a single bezel would be more than 1.5mm total so 8mm at the longest which wouldn't be too bad on a 8.5 finger IMO.

I am not sure I could do my stone double bezeled E-W on my finger (sized at about a 4) but I could definitely do a single bezel E-W based on what I wear daily.

Lots of rambles, but hopefully photos will help you decide how yellow you really want.  I am a fan of softer shades, but absolutely appreciate and love seeing the more vibrant yellows.  For my life and personality the Y-Z is perfect for me :)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 10:15:14 AM by clgwli »
Elaine aka Squiggly
elaine@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2012, 11:19:24 AM »
My bad - for some reason, I thought it was a 8.3 mm stone. At 6.3, it will come to 9 or so. Still... I would prefer your first idea. YMMSV.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 11:19:45 AM by oldmancoyote »

Offline hbunny

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2012, 01:03:21 PM »
You both have given me a LOT of good stuff to think about, thank you!!! 

You are right, I will need to think long and hard about what it is I'm looking for.  Because as of now, I'm toying with the idea of the W-X stone set N-S!  I really need to figure myself out!  =)

I'm off to a gem/jewelry show right now and I'll see it I can get an opportunity to see yellow diamonds in real life.  That might help me figure out my feelings about this!

Offline lovecolor

« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2012, 01:16:06 PM »
Good luck in figuring yourself out, Hbunny...but be aware, just when you think you have done so, something usually happens to make that notion "not so" anymore...but changing is all good...generally speaking...so no worries!

And remember, even if you do chose a DBL item, and later decide you are into something else, you can always trade up... >:D

I JUST LOVE THAT IN JEWELRY... ;D     

Offline dovesgate

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2012, 01:26:58 PM »
If I had my heart set on a yellow diamond, I would go with R4614.

R4354 is larger but the color is so much less saturated that I would prefer the smaller deeper yellow color. The right setting can make the smaller stone look larger but I'm sure there is a limit to how much the gold color can influence a lighter diamond.  

I do have some FLY single bezel studs from DBL (unsure what actual color now because paper says FLY but they aren't as yellow as the FLYs in this chart). They seem to me to be different levels of yellow in different lighting. Some lighting they look as light as my N colored diamond. Other lighting, they are noticeably more yellow than my N. That said, I think part of the reason I would go with the deeper yellow is because I already have a faint yellow (N) and now that I have my FLY's I think I'm ready for the fancy yellow commitment. Before I had these diamonds, I was quite leery of going fancy in case I didn't like the color.  

By the way... if you have a Tiffany near you, they may have FY single bezel rings. I know the one closest to me had some when I took something in for repair. Just don't look at the price - my jaw dropped when I saw what they wanted for a 1ct FY and realized I could get twice the diamond from David for the same price.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 01:39:32 PM by dovesgate »

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2012, 02:06:06 PM »
Good luck in deciding Hbunny!  I know it can be tough to do.  There really is no right or wrong answer to this.  Like for me I said I prefer the Y-Z or FLY shades.  I love how they change in the different lighting.  While Fancy Intense and Fancy Vivid Yellows are amazing, they just don't fit in with my personality as much.

So really don't pick anything other than what you love.  If you want a yellow and a softer yellow is something you like, then go for it.  With the bezel the W-X I am sure will look very yellow.  If you want a *yellow* stone go with the FY. 

But again that is your choice.

Me?  I'd go for the W-X knowing what I know now and set it N-S, but again that's *my* choice.  Only you can answer that question.

As you can see from the chart different diamonds even with in the same color grade don't always look the same.  Some of the FLYs looked so much vibrant than the FYs that at first I thought I put them in the wrong order.  So there is some stone to stone differences as well as the setting.  I do want to point out how yellow that U-V bezel diamond looks too.  I wouldn't have guessed it to be that low either.

Again good luck deciding.  I know this is tough to do... been a few years for me but I went through the exact same kind of decision as you.  Just go with your heart and you won't go wrong.
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline hbunny

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2012, 03:14:02 PM »
Hi all - thanks again for all your input...

I've decided to go with my original choice of R4614.  I was originally drawn to the setting given a square stone, so I gotta go with that... If there was a FLY or Y-Z or W-X stone that fit that bill, then the choice would be harder than it already is...  =)

I also wanted to share that I gave birth to our second child yesterday morning!  We are over the moon and this ring will be a nice way to commemorate the birth!

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2012, 03:36:17 PM »
Congratulations on the birth of your new little one :)  I wish you and your family all the best.

Great choice too on the stone.  I think it will make for a fantastic ring!
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline lovecolor

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2012, 03:48:57 PM »
  :storks:   Happy Birthday to your newest little one and Congratulations to you all!     :-*

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2012, 05:10:40 PM »
Double congratulations!

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2012, 07:26:59 PM »
Hbunny... CONGRATULATIONS to you and ALL your family!  :bunny7: :bunny7: :bunny7: :bunny7:

Offline DiamondsAreForever

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2012, 08:06:04 PM »
Oh, Wow! Congrats to you and your family.  The ring will be an excellent commemorative piece. 

Offline dovesgate

« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2012, 01:57:59 AM »
Congratulations!!!

Offline greeneyedbass

« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2012, 05:30:03 PM »
New baby days are the best days ever! Congratulations, and don't be shy about posting pictures of your two young'uns!

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2012, 08:12:04 PM »
OK- how amazing is this

MAZEL TOV- YAY Diapers!!!
Cute little noises- cuter little noses.

Gotta love a baby!!!
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2012, 09:02:04 PM »
All I was going to say was 'Trust the Coyote'.  He has been instrumental in the design of so many of my little treasures.

...but then.....BUT THEN - You add baby into the mix!  How wonderful!  How spectacular!  Many, many, many grats honey bunny!
Auntie Dammit :Heart: DBL!

Offline hbunny

« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2012, 02:31:32 AM »
Thanks everyone! 

And... "trust the coyote" - TOO funny!  I really do appreciate everyone's input here!  I'm glad I went with the coyote, and can't wait to see the final product!

And with the encouragement of greeneyedbass, here's a pic of my newest little darling!  We caught a little smile today...   :)

Offline hbunny

« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2012, 02:34:13 AM »
All I was going to say was 'Trust the Coyote'.  He has been instrumental in the design of so many of my little treasures.

...but then.....BUT THEN - You add baby into the mix!  How wonderful!  How spectacular!  Many, many, many grats honey bunny!

Thank you!  Just wanted to also say that I think it's really funny that you called me "honey bunny" - that's EXACTLY what my screen name means!   :-*  How'd you know?  It's what my husband calls me, and it's my original screen name from Diamond Talk too, which I joined to do research on my (now) engagement ring.   :4:

Offline greeneyedbass

« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2012, 03:04:59 AM »
What a gorgeous baby! Congratulations!

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2012, 07:09:20 AM »
I admit I was wondering if it was honey bunny or if it was for a first name.  At any rate your little bunny is adorable!!!!  Congratulations again!
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2012, 07:56:21 AM »
Awwww, Baby Bunny is absolutely precious! Soooooo sweet. So teeny tiny.  :bunny7:

Offline lovecolor

« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2012, 08:14:24 AM »
Hbunny, Congratulations again!  Your little bunny is adorable...and so camera ready!  I wish you all many more smiles to come!  :-*

Offline dovesgate

« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2012, 11:28:42 AM »
Awwww. Such a sweet little bundle!