Author Topic: Hi! This has been a long time coming...  (Read 9272 times)

Offline hbunny

Hi! This has been a long time coming...
« on: April 05, 2012, 04:08:30 AM »
Hi everyone!  Just registered and thought I'd introduce myself - I've been a fan of DBL for a long, long time (back to Diamond Talk days - anyone else remember that forum?) and I've been lurking here for a few nights because I think I'm about to purchase my first DBL item - I'm SO EXCITED!!!

Onto doing more research on FLY, FY, FIY radiant diamonds in a bezel setting for a ring...  :D

Offline DiamondsAreForever

Re: Hi! This has been a long time coming...
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 05:19:26 AM »
Welcome, hbunny.  Glad to have you here.  Tell us more about what you're thinking of for your first DBL piece.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 05:22:28 AM by DiamondsAreForever »

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 07:21:43 AM »
Welcome hbunny! 

What do you have in mind?  I have Y-Z bezel set radiant cut and couldn't be happier.  So I am a bit partial to yellow bezel sets myself :)
Elaine aka Squiggly
elaine@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline lovecolor

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 10:13:44 AM »
Hi Hbunny... :hello:

I'm glad you decided to come out of "lurking mode"...been there, done that!  ;)

I also own DBL's bezel rings...I've been stacking my FY oval with a white cushion diamond bezeled as well...stacked or alone, it's a great look!   Which bezel are you thinking about?  There's the double bezel that clgwli made famous and then there's the single one...which is the one I'm stacking...both are very pretty...IMO!   :) 

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 03:04:30 PM »
Howdy, hbunny. I'm excited for you (and JEALOUS)! Please. more details...  :bunny7:

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 04:07:53 PM »
Hellooooo! Great to have you here, can't wait to see what you pick out. Or, even better, can we help?

Lovely to 'meet' you, hope you'll stick around and play.  :)
Customer Service Associate
jennifer@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 04:56:01 PM »
Welcome, hbunny!

I will add my plea to the request for more details... yellow is good. But what else?

Offline hbunny

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 01:09:14 AM »
Hi Everyone, thanks for the warm welcome!   :D

This ring really caught my eye... (R4167) ... the radiant shape and the bezel accentuating the cut corners is drool-worthy!!!  And I love how the yellow gold accentuates the color too.

but as I was corresponding with DBL, it was sold - WAH!   :violent1:

So, now I'm onto choosing a loose radiant and having it set the same way.  My priorities are color, shape (more square than rectangular), size, clarity, in that order.

My top choices are:

R4614 - FY, 0.51, $1995 (strong color), 4.72 x 4.46 x 2.72 mm

R4149 - FIY, 0.41 ct, $1999, 4.11 x 3.81 x 2.65 mm

R3808 - FY, 0.66, $2349, 4.64 x 4.49 x 3.38 mm

R4234 - FLY, 0.65, $1849, 4.67 x 4.62 x 3.21 mm

I already have chosen one in my head... which do you think would be best?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 01:09:40 AM by hbunny »

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 03:14:42 AM »
Here's my two penn'orth.

R4234 drops off first. Although it's the squarest and largest of the lot (visual size), to me the little size advantage is not nearly enough to compensate for lower colour - even if it's going to look like a Fancy Intense once set. It would probably get to first place if "value for money" were the main consideration.

Next one to go is R3808. Not enough of a difference in size or colour against R4614 (which is more expensive by 10% by weight, but is nearly 20% cheaper by mm2), and it is the most expensive of the lot.

Which leaves your first two choices. Here deciding is tough: if you do go for colour, there's no doubt that R4149 is way more yellow, but it's also way smaller and of the four is the only one that looks definitely rectangular (which could be a plus, if set appropriately). R4614 is probably the best trade off: it has great colour, it looks square, it has the second largest surface and it's the second cheapest.

Clarity is not an issue with any of these - and neither is cut quality, which is great for all four - so I left them out.

Results are not typical. Your mileage may vary. Objects in photos are smaller than they appear. Your home is at risk if you do not pay a mortgage or other loan secured on it. No user-serviceable parts inside. For external use only. Not intended for highway use. May irritate eyes (of others who didn't buy from DBL). Not suitable for children aged 36 months or less. Keep out of reach and eyesight of teenagers.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 03:25:53 AM by oldmancoyote »

Offline hbunny

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 03:38:30 AM »
Thanks, OldManCoyote!  That was a great read.  Thanks for your thoughts - I totally follow your train of thought.  Before I reveal which one I'm leaning towards (or chose, depending on the timing of when you read this message), I'd like to hear from the others too!

Also - love, love, love your disclaimer!   ;D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 03:38:56 AM by hbunny »

Offline hbunny

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 03:40:57 AM »
Also, I'm planning on wearing this ring on my right hand, middle finger, which unfortunately is a size 8.5... so it would make whichever diamond I choose look smaller.  Any strong objections to sizing it for that finger?  Heehee...  ::)

And then one of these days I'd like to imagine that I could own several of these in diff shapes, that I could stack... drool!!!

Offline DiamondsAreForever

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 04:59:37 AM »
I agree with OMC.   You shouldn't be concerned about size, though, because not many people own a yellow diamond, so they'll ooh and ahhhh over the color.  There are a few considerations for the ring that can give you the appearance of a larger stone - a double bezel; or a thinner band.

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 05:18:47 AM »
Well, there you have seen the rational explanations and the analysis.

Now, here's my purely emotional "I love this diamond" choice...

R4614. It's GORGEOUS!!!
Customer Service Associate
jennifer@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 07:30:12 AM »
My own thoughts - though OMC's are really good, I really have a tendency to think it out a bit differently.

First to go is R3808 due to the shape of the stone.  Beautiful stone, but you mentioned you love the cut corners being accentuated... well this stone needs bigger cut corners IMO for that style.

Next to go is R4149 for similar reasons.  Not quite square enough and not quite bold enough IMO.  I love the color though, but just not what I would pick.

The next is harder for me... R4614 and R4234 are both very very beautiful stones.  I love them both equally and for totally emotional reasons.  That said R4234 has the slight edge to me in a way.  

Simply looking at photos of the loose stone in the ring you loved next to each stone sold it for me.  The shape of R4234 is closer to what the ring had - bold cut corners that will look fantastic in that kind of a setting.  R4614 is a more vibrant color, yes, but it lacks some of the boldness in the corners that I think would be essential to the ring.

This side by side is what got me

No it isn't a Fancy Yellow diamond, but I can guarantee that the FLY would look really yellow set.  That said I think R4614 is amazing as well.  The color is vibrant and the cut is also fantastic!  You really can't go wrong with either.  

You did say that color was your priority but I do sense a little bit of worry with the ring size... however if you look at the dimensions both are pretty equal in size so really don't let that be what makes you pick.

Like I said my choice is based on cut and shape of stone and how it would look in the ring.  I think R4234 fits better but R4614 is great too!

I do agree with what DAF said.  If you are concerned about size, a double bezel or the like could make it bigger looking too.  I still can't get over how huge a double bezel looks on my hand.  Though I really do like the clean lines of the single bezel.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 07:31:37 AM by clgwli »
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline lovecolor

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 09:01:51 AM »
R4614 - FY, 0.51, $1995 (strong color), 4.72 x 4.46 x 2.72 mm

R4149 - FIY, 0.41 ct, $1999, 4.11 x 3.81 x 2.65 mm

hbunny, these are the ones that I'd be choosing from...I love the color of R4149 but it is more rectangular, I prefer the size and the larger facets of R4614...such a hard choice...which means either one would make me very happy...but then again, it's not for me, so for you, for your middle finger, I'm thinking R4614.  Great color,  great shape, great look and a little bit bigger !  

Okay, now you have to know that any one of these stones will make you happy in the end...so even if I or the others didn't pick the one you did...you still have a beautiful yellow diamond on it's way to you...!     8)        
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 09:32:15 AM by lovecolor »

Offline hbunny

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2012, 01:55:11 PM »
Wow, I appreciate all of your input, both from the logical and emotional "it sings to me!" perspectives...

I chose... R4614!!! (and by the way, the "strong color" comment about this stone in my previous post was incorrectly placed by me - R3808 has the "strong color" comment by DBL in the website, not R4614. 

Still, the color and (relatively bold) cut corners on the R4614 is what made me choose it, along with it being a nice tradeoff between size and color and cost.  I'm so, so excited!!!

DiamondsAreForever - thanks for your suggestion about the double bezel.  It's definitely worth a thought.  It was really the single bezel that caught my eye, though - the sleekness and modernness of it.  But I will go back and look at the double bezels to see if that makes my heart sing too.  Maybe I also prefer the single band rather than the split shank?  Hmmm....

Any input on how wide the single bezel is, and the band?  Trying to measure/imagine the total width of the head on my finger...

Thanks for taking this head-and-heart journey with me, OMC, DiamondsAreForever, MrsMitchell, clgwli and lovecolor!!!  Still waiting on a response from DBL before I can officially call this mine!

Offline hbunny

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2012, 01:56:44 PM »
Oh man, clgwli - just noticed your profile picture... gorgeous!  I'll have to dig around for a larger view of your double bezel radiant!!!   >:D

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 02:13:32 PM »
Great choice hbunny!  I really think that stone is absolutely awesome!!!

I'll save you a search here are a few ;)

« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 02:13:53 PM by clgwli »
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline hbunny

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2012, 02:17:22 PM »
WOW!!!!  SWOON!!!  That is so pretty gorgeous!  May I ask what color it is?

Would you happen to have a profile view of your rings?  Is it set high?  I can't imagine how a band can sit flush to a full bezel, but I'm so glad that it does!

Also - I noticed that for the stones I was considering, there were sometimes differences in carat weight but not much difference in length x width.  The difference came in depth.  Is there an ideal depth for a radiant?  Does shallower necessarily mean less light reflection?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 02:18:17 PM by hbunny »

Offline hbunny

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2012, 02:19:02 PM »
Also, does anyone know of any hand shots here on the forum of a radiant single bezel ring?

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2012, 03:16:42 PM »
She's "only" a Y-Z diamond.  You would not know it given how yellow she looks in this setting.  In fact she looks really yellow even compared to the FY bezels I've seen at Tiffany.

Here are some side shots.  

When wearing my regular bands I personally think it's a good height.  I never worry about the top of my bands hitting the bottom of the ring.  Much lower and I know they would knock now and then.

I did make sure that when designing the ring, it could sit flush next to my wedding band.  I had her in a solitaire for a while and I missed having flush fit bands, so it was a requirement when I finally decided how I wanted her set permanently.  The design on my ring is not quite the same of the bezel that you were looking at though.  That one would not sit flush, but looks beautiful all the same.

I know we had at least one members here show hand shots of their bezels much like you are considering.  Let me see if I can one of those threads for you.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 03:17:36 PM by clgwli »
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2012, 03:33:23 PM »
I haven't found a thread for you but I found this photo

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-diamond-104ct-cushion-cut-fancy-light-yellow-si1-gia-sparkling-lemonade-r3663

It is a 1.04ct FLY cushion as a reference.
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2012, 03:42:20 PM »
And two together

R3745 and R3803

Be sure to look at R3587 as well.

And this is a youtube of a bunch of our bezel set rings

http://youtu.be/uSF4GEbEGR8
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2012, 03:42:51 PM »
[snip]
Also - I noticed that for the stones I was considering, there were sometimes differences in carat weight but not much difference in length x width.  The difference came in depth.  Is there an ideal depth for a radiant?  Does shallower necessarily mean less light reflection?
Short answers: no, and no.

Long(er) answers: definitely not.

Many people misunderstand the reason why there are table and depth % measurements on a report: the reason is that they are the simplest measures to take, and therefore the least expensive and easiest to replicate when identifying the stone. They have a relatively minor impact on light performance, though they may give some clues as to whether the stone is unduly "fat" or poorly cut. Light reflection depends a lot more on pavilion cut angles, which however are difficult to measure (and in the case of a rectangular (or oval) shape  can vary considerably along the length of the girdle).

Offline hbunny

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2012, 12:17:45 AM »
WOW...  that side profile is absolutely to die for!!!  Thanks for those pics... it's a bit of inspiration!  And I can't believe it's "only" a Y-Z!  Makes me rethink a bit... hmmm...

And those single bezels, especially the one double stacked... someone pick me up off the floor!  Thank you for posting those.  They pretty much sealed the deal for me - single bezel it is for me!

Now, onto what your Sunny (I caught the name of your stone among all the searches I've done here!) is making me rethink...

What do you all think about this stone:

R4354 - W-X, 1.02, $1995, 6.32 x 5.75 x 3.32 mm (no GIA, cut shallow)
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-diamond-102-light-yellow-radiant-diamond-shallow-means-large-save-r4354

particularly compared to R4614  - FY, 0.51, $1995, 4.72 x 4.46 x 2.72 mm

Same cost, double the carat weight, compromising on color and shape.  I'd set this E-W, single yellow gold bezel.  I'm not experienced enough to know how much the yellow bezel will add to its color.  Thoughts please?