Author Topic: Asscher Cut Diamond Variation  (Read 5907 times)

Offline mitchd

Asscher Cut Diamond Variation
« on: March 12, 2012, 10:58:35 PM »
Hi All,

I was recently looking at some asscher cut diamond photos and realized I really want to add one to my collection.  I had a 1ct I VVS2 GIA certified stone a while back but it was way too deep of a cut and resulted in a much smaller look, and was not lively either.

I noticed some have thicker facets from the cut corners to the middle of the stone and some have thin facets.  I was wondering if this impacts the brilliance?  Is it more desirable to have that thicker facet?

Pics and advise is welcome and thanks so much!

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
Re: Asscher Cut Diamond Variation
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 01:51:22 AM »
What is most desirable is what you like. I like canted corners in Asscher cuts - almost to the point of GIA defining them as octagonal step cut, rather than square emerald cut, and this is the more traditional aspect for an Asscher. Others prefer a "fuller" look.

This said, the one sizeable Asscher I have is almost completely the opposite of a traditional Asscher, with relatively full corners and a large-ish table, but it had the look I wanted for a certain project.

If by "brilliance" you mean the amount of light reflected, the extent to which the corners are cut will have a minor impact; what matters most are the pavilion angles, particularly of the first and second tier of pavilion facets. "Of course", this is not information that is available through a report, so choose a vendor who can help you by seeing, selecting and taking good photos of the best cut diamonds, rather than buying "off a list" where the information available is insufficient to make a decision.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 01:52:08 AM by oldmancoyote »

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 02:52:51 PM »
Hi Mitch, Great answer by OMC- I agree with much of what he wrote.

Mitch, there's really no way to correlate facet thickness- or many other aspects such as table and depth to accurately predict brilliance consistently 
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline mitchd

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 11:13:36 PM »
Awesome Pictures!! Thanks for the great advice.  One thing I have learned is that there is nothing like seeing the stone in person. 

Offline Dresden

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 12:46:45 AM »
THAT ring is utterly devine!!!

*cant stop staring into its beauty*  ;D ;D

I hope i can ask the specs of such a speciman

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 01:15:23 AM »
It's a 1.13 E/VS2 with two light pink 0.25 radiants on the sides. Ring and stones by DBL (with a little added pestering on the side). There's a few more photos on this thread, though to be honest I never managed to get a better one than the two above here. http://coloreddiamond.info/show-off-your-jewels/the-coyotes-den/msg76814/#msg76814
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 01:16:13 AM by oldmancoyote »