Author Topic: Help! No *IRL* ( In REAL Life) experience w/diamonds  (Read 13263 times)

Offline Trinkette

Re: Help! No *IRL* ( In REAL Life) experience w/diamonds
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2011, 07:08:10 AM »
Yup, sounds like you've gotten it, Catia, colorful, prismatic flashes = FIRE.

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2011, 07:52:18 AM »
So, I've written THREE responses on this thread, and, in an effort to be more succinct these days (an unlikely scenario, however, I am up for the challenge) I've purposefully erased every single one of my long-winded notes before posting. Honestly, there is not much to say after so many, already-offered, thoughtful, respectful and eloquent posts. There is not one piece of advice here that I wouldn't take myself.

Catia, every one here has basically hit it on the head... and I am going to bluntly drive in the nail: A diamond report alone will not help you when choosing a fancy cut diamond. You need human eyes.

I know it because I have been exactly where you are, except I did not go so far as to actually order stones for inspection. However, I DID spend hours, days actually, culling though online GIA reports hunting for cushion cut diamonds, trying to distinguish one "type" from another based on the info in the reports. I'd find a "great" report, call-up the photo, and bleh. In the end, some of the most beautiful stones (in the photos, at least) were the ones with less-than-ideal stats in their reports... diamonds that I would never have found if I'd just stuck to my original goal of looking only at diamonds with "excellent" or "very good" polish and symmetry. It turned out to be one of the most humbling, frustrating, gem experiences ever. All I learned was that one can not determine the beauty of a fancy cut diamond (or even a round brilliant, IMO) based on a diamond's recorded statistics. As OMC wrote, there are simply too many variables within each diamond. And, most importantly, there are too many important characteristics left unrecorded need I get on my soapbox AGAIN regarding my beloved CRYSTAL...  :BangHead:.

For me, the report is back-up... the thing I check-out to understand what it is, more or less, that I am considering. For example, I like stones that face-up a little large for their size, so, a report is a place to check this out. Am I paying for weight that I can see, face-up, or is the stone heavier because it is cut very deep, making the face-up size appear smaller than one might expect for the stone's weight? I check the report. (And, despite my preference, I have knowingly purchased both extremes, btw).  I like the overall look of a diamond, I want to know where the inclusions/blemishes are and what they may be. I check the report. I have a strong preference for VS-and-better stones, however, again, I have purchased diamonds with lesser clarity.

Again, ALL of this comes AFTER I see a stone that PERFORMS to my eye in a beautiful way. There is no report for a stone's crystal... ie, does the actual crystal/chemical make-up of the diamond visually remind you of kitchen glassware or the finest crystal stemware? This very characteristic makes the finest, now rare, Golconda diamonds, for example, extremely desirable. Also, there is no report for how a stone displays prismatic color... and, when you examine the diamond, are ALL the colors visible, or just a few? You may find that some colors are more easily visible than others (red can be most ticklish to see, so, of course, fine red display can be most desired).

I could go on and on... (however, I've written too much already)!  :freakout:

Offline lovecolor

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2011, 07:52:18 AM »

I like the big flashes of color more than white light--I LOVE rainbow & the color flashes--that's what I want to be bigger/broader--the tiny dot just feel like glitter to me--the big colorful flashes are what feels alive--guess that's fire?

That's for me too!  I get excited when I see light break down into colors...with large flashes of light!

Love the rainbows... :bliss:

Offline flyingdiamonds

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2011, 08:13:47 AM »
HI Catia,
I know I am jumping in to this discussion rather late but based on the things you have mentioned, I believe we have similar tastes!

I just wanted to post a great stone DBL has.  I had the pleasure of seeing it in person a few weeks back and it was to die for.... It has the chunky facets on the top but the back has been cut more brilliant on the back for a bit of extra sparkle with no cutlet!  Its a mix of modern and old....It was very hard to not leave with it in my pocket.  Lots of the OMB are beautiful but don't have the same sparkle.  This stone was a standard cut and has an interesting/origin which you should ask David about!

http://rockdiamond.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-diamond-105ct-cushion-cut-diamond-hsi1-gia-amazing-sparkle-r4322

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2011, 08:22:33 AM »
One more note:

I have stated many times my general preference for old-style, chunky-cut diamonds over contemporary cuts like radiants. However, as one would predict, I own both types of diamonds.  ::) Most of my diamonds do, however, share one common characteristic: fine crystal, or "water" as it is sometimes called.

Over time, I've learned to appreciate, desire and value each type of diamond cut for what it is (and what it is not). And, as fate would have it, one of my MOST coveted, extraordinary, and beautiful diamonds is an exquisitely cut radiant... not a chunky-cut, antique style at all. I only wish the radiant were larger!

My point is, despite establishing your preferences, and the best-laid plans, you never quite know which diamond will end-up stealing your heart.

For me, the ONLY place to start is with the diamond, not the paper. And, if you can't cull through hundreds of diamonds IRL yourself, do let a professional, with hands-on access to a gazillion diamonds, help you. Someone like David may know the very individual cutter who fashions diamonds exactly like you prefer...

(Of course, you can always get tripped-up by something else sparkly and unexpected that David's got and altogether blow your entire diamond-style-preference-process...lol)

Offline firegypsy

« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2011, 08:52:05 AM »
Trinkette,
I'm going to go searching, but do you have a link to any other discussions you've had here on crystals?  I have never heard this before and I'm fascinated.  I'm wondering if that's the property I've been looking to describe, but falling short.  I've owned quite a few diamonds that had great specs.  They were lovely and I was very happy with them.  Then I got a stone from David that, while modest blows them all out of the water.  Granted it's a different cut, but I know that is not what I'm reacting to.  It has such a wet quality and the depth is something I've not experienced before.  I struggle to find words to express this, but perhaps that's the difference?

Offline Trinkette

Re: Help! No *IRL*
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2011, 09:24:33 AM »
"Wet" would be a good way to describe what I am talking about.

I don't mean to get too complicated or take away from the intent of this thread; I mentioned Golconda only as an extreme example of my meaning.  Now, to avoid confusion, I should mention that diamonds from the Golconda mines are known as Type II diamonds, an indication that they have no nitrogen (Ninety-eight percent of diamonds, Type I, do have nitrogen present in their make-up). It is the lack of nitrogen (often bringing a yellowish or other tint) which makes the Type II diamonds so transparent or watery in appearance (but, still, this is about purity of crystal, not tint). There are Type IIa and Type IIb diamonds, the Type IIbs still have no nitrogen, but have traces of boron which make make blue or greyish appearing stones.

Although today there are other sources for Type II diamonds, still, these diamonds are difficult to obtain, and getting more and more scarce (and pricey).

So, when I write about fine "crystal" or "water" it could be within the Type I majority of diamonds. My point is, like everything in nature, all diamonds are NOT created equal. Some are, quite frankly, finer, purer, more crystalline, less cloudy, if you will, than others. I am thinking about purity of crystal, whether it be in a Type I or Type II diamond is immaterial.

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2011, 09:33:23 AM »
There is a golden-brown Asscher cut diamond I called Olive Oil (SOLD to a CDIer) that has been featured on David's DBL Home page; Olive Oil has gorgeous crystal. Also, there is a smaller, similarly colored step-cut diamond (SOLD) that I remember for exceptional crystal as well. A (SOLD) 2ct+ pear that didn't get much notice here (I was hopeful, lol), the D/IF Asscher still there... and soooo many more. And, just because I am not mentioning something at DBL doesn't mean it doesn't have exceptional crystal. There are too many to list. David has the stones.

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2011, 09:36:00 AM »
HOWEVER, once you get into colored stones... remember, COLOR TRUMPS ALL ELSE. Stunning crystal in a colored diamond is icing on an already-killer cake!

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2011, 09:36:56 AM »
See, I STILL wrote too much::)

Offline firegypsy

« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2011, 09:46:40 AM »
See, I STILL wrote too much::)
nope and thanks.  now I want a compare and contrast thread.   ;)

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2011, 10:06:10 AM »
But, THAT's the point... one CAN'T compare and contrast effectively unless you see stones side-by-side, in real life.  :dontknow:

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2011, 10:08:28 AM »
That's why we have David and trusted, diamond-devotee friends at CDI.  :angel:

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2011, 10:09:02 AM »
 :devildance:

Offline firegypsy

« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2011, 10:10:32 AM »
I was thinking video could be employed if diamonds were in ones possession.  Perhaps not.

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2011, 10:28:50 AM »
Yes, I am sure that one could get a sense, especially of extremes. But then, David would have to go out and source some crummy diamonds to use as video stars...  >:D

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2011, 12:35:02 PM »
Video killed the grotty old stars...

Offline dovesgate

« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2011, 02:23:07 PM »
Hahahha now that song is stuck in my head. Thanks Oldmancoyote!

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2011, 02:51:03 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wbxfvJhEMg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wbxfvJhEMg</a>

here you go!!
Now we'll all have the song in our head >:D
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 02:51:44 PM by Diamondsbylauren »
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2011, 03:39:33 PM »
 :git: :devildance: :devildance: :devildance: :devildance: :devildance: :devildance: :devildance: :devildance: :devildance: :devildance: :devildance: :devildance: :devildance: :devildance: :devildance: :devildance: :devildance: :devildance: :devildance: :devildance: :devildance: :devildance:

Offline lovecolor

« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2011, 04:48:50 PM »
                         :laughing4:

Offline Catia

« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2011, 03:30:33 AM »
so, now I see (and hear) that David is disturbed on a whole 'nother level.

I mean I *really* wanted sound on the videos...but...

If there were such a word as *triple-on-tondre* I'd say "lay off the rock" LOL

Thanks for the laugh!

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2011, 02:16:33 PM »
so, now I see (and hear) that David is disturbed on a whole 'nother level.

I mean I *really* wanted sound on the videos...but...

If there were such a word as *triple-on-tondre* I'd say "lay off the rock" LOL

Thanks for the laugh!

Hi Catia, you know I'm not disturbed by you right??
I am distressed over the manner in which many diamond merchants advertise-and conduct themselves.

In almost every case it's bad sellers trying to hide things, or deceive shoppers.
But there are cases of sellers that seem to have a genuine motivation to educate- but separating promotional stuff from educational stuff is very difficult to do.
So, there are times that a given seller's sales pitch becomes a "fact" due to it's being buried in supposed "educational" material.
Hence a predisposition against what that seller calls "Crushed Ice"
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline Catia

« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2011, 04:30:34 AM »
I didn't think you were disturbed by me- (umm--didn't occur to me until just now lol)-
i was making a joke about the pseudo video of video killed the radio star--& was saying you're disturbed...you know--meaning *twisted* for posting a non-video of that song--some times things get lost in interpertation when typing.

Anyways, I only just saw that seller's video AFTER this thread was started--if it's the same guy we're talkin about--the one who beats crushed ice to death...I didn't like that look before, just not a fan, they're fine on other people & believe me, I'm not being lead down any wrong pathways, I'm just gonna sort out just what it is I want--
I love cushion & OMC & OEC & I DO LOVE CHUNKY--so that's where I am right now. I am enjoying the learning experience.

---BUT---I'm also not a fan of some of the newer chunky cuts, the ones with those symbol things in the middle--reminds me of  nazi symbol cross or something, dunno why, but when I see the pics, that's what comes to mind--.
 It's probably not near as noticible in the actual stone, but when blown up, I see that shape inside & just not for me. Most of the other chunkies, new or old I mostly like.

So curious--had anyone here revamped their diamond with a culet??? anyone that brave?
I love that some cutters are cutting old school style :) Beauty is timeless.

edited to add: even though I am not a crushed ice fan--I did see one that I really did like on your site-- it was R2894--never saw a crushed ice like that--great lines-simply beuatiful!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 04:46:26 AM by Catia »

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2011, 08:20:22 AM »
Without seeing the stones to which you refer, Catia, I am going to surmise that the "symbol things" you mention, each probably reminding you of the ancient "Iron Cross" symbol, is a visual effect known as extinction, or the absence of any return of light. Generally, like a "bow tie" in pears and ovals, this "cross" is not a considered a desirable characteristic and is a direct result of the way the diamond is faceted. Sometimes, it is not in-yer-face enough to be bothersome, however. And, to some extent, a small amount of dark is necessary as contrast to the bright, white areas. You don't notice dark areas so much in brilliant cuts because, by comparison, the faceting is narrow and slivered. The contrast from dark to light, as you move the stone, is what makes it sparkle. So, for your cushions, chunky flashes bring chunky darks... a kind of yin and yang. When you find a fiery cushion without noticeable extinction, you will really appreciate a cutter of great skill... (although, no doubt, you'll pay for it as well, lol).