Author Topic: We all know a GIA report is important, but what about when you can't get one?  (Read 6598 times)

Offline Late Unicorn

For instance, what if this is the ring you want?  I want this!

http://rockdiamond.com/index.php/jewelry/ring--109ctw-cushion-3--stone-diamond-ring

And alas, it does not have a GIA report.  So...what would I be in for, getting it without one?

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
I'm not sure I understand your question. Is it "what kind of surprise can I expect if I get this compared to what the diamonds would be graded by GIA?" or is it "how much would it cost to get the stones graded?"

If the former, David is pretty strict and consistent in grading. I'd be surprised if he were more than a grade out (either way) on colour, and very surprised if he were out at all on clarity.

If the latter, GIA grading for the centre stone is $65, and for each of the sides is $60 (assuming they are both over 0.22 ct). Plus shipping and a wait of about 6 weeks, or double the GIA fees to get it quicker. Plus removal and resetting - guessing another $150.

Offline lovecolor

Hi LU,

If you want to save money, not getting a GIA report to verify David's diamond ring will not be a problem.  He knows diamonds and he knows his cutters.  I think these pictures are worth more than what the GIA report can add...except maybe the size of the stones...but you could ask David for that.  They are beautiful stones and together, the ring is a knockout!  Good luck in your decision!   :)         

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
Not just as a employee but also as a customer I find David's gradings to be *very* strict.  If there is any question at all with clarity, he will pick the lower of the two.  My e-ring (in my avatar) was graded for color by GIA but had no clarity grade and he assigned it.  Under the loupe I can find a couple feathers but none are visible with my eye.  I had a jewler who saw my ring and wanted to look at it up close (they were fixing a bent earring I bought from them before I even heard of DBL) so I let them.  It was the store owner and he took out his loupe and said "Now that's a ROCK!!!"  He was very impressed with the color and said it was a very clean stone.  He also loved the setting.  

My point?  I think David was more than fair with the clarity grade and a reputable jeweler confirmed it without me even asking!  The owner simply was admiring my ring because it is rare for them to deal with colored diamonds.  Compared to my GIA graded SI2 my e-ring is totally clean (for the record the SI2 is also completely eye clean and not all are)

As for color I've seen countless times when David sent a stone off to GIA and the color came back the same if not a less strict.  

It isn't uncommon for smaller stones to not have a report due to costs and time.

Remember there is always a return period so if you are concerned at all you can have that time to look it over to make sure it is what you hope it would be.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 09:37:21 AM by clgwli »
Elaine aka Squiggly
elaine@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline dovesgate

That is a beautiful ring!

David has a reputation for being strict with his diamond grading so you can trust him that the stones are what he says they are.

It takes forever to get your stone back from GIA. They were inspecting mine from 10/21-12/7. The cost isn't that much - my total came to just over a hundred for the grading report and shipping each way. I am less than two hundred miles from them though so your shipping cost will be higher if you are farther.

I would talk to David directly if you have your heart set on a GIA report. Having the stones removed from a ring could void the return policy, not just at DBL but anywhere.

BTW - I LOVE the description for the ring. So funny!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 03:31:03 PM by dovesgate »

Offline ah2bqat

I can't add any more superlatives to David's credentials, as witnessed here by other multiple purchase customers.

I can add that I have bought multiple stones from .25ct to a yellow asscher at @1ct without GIA certs from DBL.  I have come to rely on David's honesty and strict assessment of the stones (I have a bunch WITH certs, as well) of which came AFTER David's original assessment.  I have yet to be disappointed or surpri ed by the results after receiving the GIA papers.

And if this is your first DBL purchase, I can understand your hesitation.  It is a scary proposition for such a sum of cash. Believe that David's return policy is as pure as his platinum. 

I can only offer my own experiences as assurance, but you can believe I'll never buy another diamond from anyone else, again.
Auntie Dammit :Heart: DBL!

Offline Late Unicorn

For the record, I meant no disrespect to David or DBL or the quality of their merchandise or service.  What I was trying to ask was whether anyone here has ever regretted going without a GIA report.  (I've also been Googling around to try to find out if not getting a GIA report could somehow affect one's ability to insure a ring, but I guess that's a question for an insurance company...this is how much of a novice I am, everyone.   :-[  )

Anyway, the truth is, I really love the pieces here, enough that I don't really care what kind of paperwork comes with them.

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
For the record, I meant no disrespect to David or DBL or the quality of their merchandise or service.  What I was trying to ask was whether anyone here has ever regretted going without a GIA report.  (I've also been Googling around to try to find out if not getting a GIA report could somehow affect one's ability to insure a ring, but I guess that's a question for an insurance company...this is how much of a novice I am, everyone.   :-[  )

Anyway, the truth is, I really love the pieces here, enough that I don't really care what kind of paperwork comes with them.
I can say for the insurance company I use, you do not need a GIA report to insure.  Just a detailed appraisal or receipt to show how much you paid.  I do have a stand alone policy through a company that only insures jewelry.  My homeowners insurance is not adequate for what I want.  I do not insure all my pieces... just the ones I wear often and mean a lot to me so I would want them quickly replaced. 
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
Let me answer the easy question first. The issue with the insurance company is that they generally insure for replacement "of like kind and quality". If there is no GIA report, they may well try to pass a stone graded by Joe's Lab as "like kind and quality". The trick is to make sure that the description/appraisal on which the insurance company binds the policy is clearly mentioning "by Diamonds by Lauren" or "by Rock Diamonds" - which would effectively leave the insurer with little option but to get you another DBL piece (which would be graded to the same level of accuracy as the one you lost/damaged).

The regret question is much tougher. It depends on a lot of things. From a vendor that I do not trust, I am afraid that I would regret much more than I can afford - and so I would not even buy without a trusted independent report. Have done so in the past, and it has at best resulted in me spending a lot more than I should have. From a trusted vendor there is a different form of regret - closer to curiosity: "I wonder what they (GIA, GRS, Gubelin, ...) would say and what I could learn from it" and connected to that the knowledge that once the stones are set it is really unlikely they will ever be unmounted and graded.

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
something also to keep in mind with insurance is that not all policies are equal.  I know easy to say.  For example my homeowners would take my piece that was lost and replace it themselves with little input from me.  The company I use will allow me to pick my dealer and let me have pretty much all say in it as long as it comes in under the amount they want.  Anything above will come out of my pocket.  Then if you want total control, there are companies who will just give you a cash payout and you can do with it as you please.

So that can also make a huge difference in whether or not you should have a GIA report.  If you choose the first type then the more information the better because otherwise they will try to stick you.

Read up on companies and find out how well the customers who had to file a claim liked the company.  I didn't go with the cheapest but I didn't go with the most costly either - but I am happy with the terms and coverage.

I didn't touch on regret because I admit, I haven't dealt with that yet.  The closest I can say is did I regret not getting a full GIA report for my e-ring diamond?  Nope.  I was looking for color first, clarity 2nd.  The diamond could be an I1 for all I care as long as it is eye clean.
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
For the record, I meant no disrespect to David or DBL or the quality of their merchandise or service.  What I was trying to ask was whether anyone here has ever regretted going without a GIA report.  (I've also been Googling around to try to find out if not getting a GIA report could somehow affect one's ability to insure a ring, but I guess that's a question for an insurance company...this is how much of a novice I am, everyone.   :-[  )

Hi Uni- not only am I not insulted, I'm thrilled with your post! And thank you to Squig, OMC, Bloocat, Dovie, and of course LC
I love the thread because it contains some VERY important tips for consumers
Of course you've already gotten some spot on advise about insurance and such.
In fact, a detailed bill of sale may be enough for insurance. But check with your insurance agent- I've never heard of a requirement that there be GIA report to obtain insurance.

Hopefully no one here has had the experience of learning when to make sure to get a diamond with a GIA report...too late.

Let's talk generalities: If someone is buying a 1ct diamond for $8k, it would be very foolish NOT to buy a diamond that's been graded by GIA- and comes with a GIA report.
if someone is spending $2k on a one carat, different rules apply.
In both cases it's vital to make sure the seller is trustworthy.

In the case of the $2000 one carat stone a good seller will be very upfront about the fact there's aspects about this diamond that make it less valuable.
Color, clarity, cut- possible damage, irradiation or laser treatments.
The buyer, in this case, makes an informed decision- as opposed to someone being led to believe they are in fact buying a J/SI1 when they are buying a $2000 J/SI1 "certified" by EGL. Which could easily by the same L/I1 being honestly represented for $2000 without a GIA report.
I still think the second seller is offering a far better deal- of only due to the honestly of the seller
Maybe a .50ct GIA graded G/SI1 is a better fit than an 1.00ct L/I1 for a given buyer with $2k to spend.
Maybe a nice looking L/I1 is perfect for another buyer.
But in either case, an informed buyer is way better off.

As far as R948 specifically:
This is one of the most "historical" DBL items, manufactured in May 2005.
Never sold and traded back, it's been here.We watered it, and put it in the sun, but it's still the same size.
On the other hand she's just as beautiful as the day we made her.
I bought the stone because I loved them- and they were very unusual. You see more cushions today.
I think that, in retrospect, I probably paid a 2011 price back in 2005- which might be why she's here now.
Nonetheless, we bought the stones from a trusted cutter- and immediately set about manufacturing the ring.
We rarely send side stones to the GIA- so if we ha sent any, it would have been the center.
I wanted to see the ring, so we didn't send the center off to GIA.
Great point made by Dovesgate about being careful having stones removed.
In this case, if someone really wanted the GIA, we'd be able to safely remove and replace the center so you could never tell it had been out of the ring.
But the other point in Dove's post about GIA taking their time? MAN- they will take a month if you let them.
How can you not "let" them?
I would not recommend walking in with a large, menacing Pit Bull- for one thing, they probably would not be intimidated behind their bulletproof glass ( Sissies)
ON the positive side, the NYC police are very polite, and the plastic handcuffs are really not painful.

Seriously- these people really do take their time:)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 06:10:51 PM by Diamondsbylauren »
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline Late Unicorn

I would not recommend walking in with a large, menacing Pit Bull- for one thing, they probably would not be intimidated behind their bulletproof glass ( Sissies)

Ha ha ha ha ha!  I have a medium sized, menacing Corgi.  But he's tough.

Thanks again for all the great info, everyone.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 05:19:29 PM by Late Unicorn »