Author Topic: Soooo Misleading!!!!  (Read 7953 times)

Offline Kris43

Soooo Misleading!!!!
« on: December 16, 2011, 01:34:53 PM »
Hello All,

I was on Etsy.com looking at jewelry and came across this little "Gem". I noticed this was listed as a "Blue" diamond and just by looking at it could tell it has been treated plus the list price of only 7,000 for 2+ carats (which to me is waay over priced for a treated diamond) helped. I was interested to see if the Jeweler stated in the description of this ring that this stone had been treated so I clicked on it and went to find out. To my utter dismay and disgust he did NOT say anything about the stone being treated. He also went on to say that this ring is worth retail 25,000.00 and comes with an appraisal (he sp. it AppraisEl, haha) of 20,700.00. I would LOVE to know who App. this ring at 20,000+ and think this is totally disheartening and why so many people don't trust online Jewelers or any Jeweler for that matter. I'd like to take this opp. to thank DBL for being honest and upfront with their in-house grading.
I didn't bother going to the site myself, I had seen enough. If I am wrong please let me know. I am very "green" to all of this but I am pretty sure I'm right on with this one. Thanks and Merry Christmas to all!!

Kris

« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 05:07:52 PM by Diamondsbylauren »

Offline dovesgate

Re: Soooo Misleading!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 04:23:45 PM »
Well, it's obvious he - or a person he knows - typed up a letter stating the value was that much but really, thats all any "appraisal value" in any online listing is. I know David has a post somewhere talking about this very thing.

I think we all know for $20k you could get a natural blue (though I imagine nowhere near that large). I agree this person is a total jerk for not stating it is a treated diamond but, well, I've learned the hard way that you get what you pay for when it comes to things like diamonds.

Offline dovesgate

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 08:00:49 PM »
I really need to stop replying to these threads on my phone - I was in the middle o editing and accidentally posted. Now I can't edit my post. :(

If I could, I would remove the "I think we all know" portion as I was going to write something else (I.e. I think we all know someone who wouldn't mind writing a phony report) but then I deleted most of it - I thought all - because it sounded like I was denigrating someone here and I wasn't. I know the jeweler in my town will regularily mark up darn near anything I bring him to astronomical amounts.

So now I feel I sound mean and know-it-all. I'm sorry. :(

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 08:32:45 PM »
Dovesgate no worries.  I didn't think your post sounded know it all even before you clarified.

I'm bad at posting and then getting interrupted and not realizing what the heck I forgot to edit out or really say only to come back and go "oops"  So you are so not alone!
Elaine aka Squiggly
elaine@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline dovesgate

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 09:15:40 PM »
Dovesgate no worries.  I didn't think your post sounded know it all even before you clarified.

I'm bad at posting and then getting interrupted and not realizing what the heck I forgot to edit out or really say only to come back and go "oops"  So you are so not alone!

Thank you! :)

Offline Kris43

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 10:12:44 PM »
Dovesgate- I agree w/ Clgwli I think your first post sounded fine. No worries like she said I do the same thing. Merry Christmas to you both and I hope you all have a very safe and happy New Year!!

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 10:09:57 PM »
Besides, how often would one find such a rare stone, at over 2ct, and set in 14k white gold?  Anything less than 18k or platinum downgrades the entire project IMHO.
Auntie Dammit :Heart: DBL!

Offline phoenixjewels

• diamond ring ,diamond earring , diamond jewelry ,diamond necklace
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 01:44:56 AM »
 you are right
Besides, how often would one find such a rare stone, at over 2ct, and set in 14k white gold?  Anything less than 18k or platinum downgrades the entire project IMHO.
amena parker

Offline Sweet Pea

• Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 01:48:20 PM »
Someone must have said something to this Etsy seller, because his ad now features this "About Diamonds" section:
====================================================
One of the questions I'm asked repeatedly is whether the blue center diamonds featured in some of my items are authentic. The short answer is and emphatic YES. All of my diamonds are 100% natural mined diamonds. Nevertheless, naturally occurring coloration is very rare with intense blue being one of the rarest varieties as it is the case with the world-renown "heart of the sea" diamond featured in the movie TITANIC. Due to their extremely rare nature, natural blue diamonds can fetch OVER ONE MILLION DOLLARS (USD 1,000,000.00) PER 1.00 CARAT at auction! Notwithstanding, technology offers a less expensive alternative way to turn natural diamonds to the beautiful blue color that you see in my items. This coloration process is not only avant-garde and difficult but is also GUARANTEED TO BE PERMANENT.
=====================================================

Well, is that not a relief -- to know that he guarantees that the fake blue of the diamond is permanent, so that we know he didn't just get an ordinary white diamond and draw on it with a bright aqua blue sharpie?   ::)

Gosh, now that I think about it... David doesn't guarantee that the color of his diamonds will be PERMANENT. :Confused42:  Should we be worried?     ;)  :icon_jokercolor:
"I will put the diamond chain round your neck, and the circlet on your forehead, which it will become: for Nature...has stamped her patent of nobility on this brow, Jane; and I will clasp the bracelets on these fine wrists, and load these fairy-like fingers with rings." ~ Edward Rochester, Jane Eyre

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 02:47:12 PM »
As long as you don't dunk them in paint thinner, I am pretty sure they are guaranteed.  >:D
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 02:47:30 PM by oldmancoyote »

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 04:38:02 PM »
I shouldn't pick on the person, but it was the Heart of the Ocean, not Heart of the Sea (though it was translated from French so it is only as good as that).  Also while they claimed it was real in the movie, the stone itself in the necklace was a CZ... just sayin' ;)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 04:41:03 PM by clgwli »
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 04:51:40 PM »
Hey, at least the guy took a step in the right direction! Regardless, it's "Heart of the Ocean," not "Heart of the Sea;" and it is a fictional diamond.  ::)

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 04:52:53 PM »
Sorry clgwli, I wrote then got tied-up, and ended-up hitting "post" after you'd already set things straight.

Offline DiamondsAreForever

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 06:59:41 PM »
I shouldn't pick on the person, but it was the Heart of the Ocean, not Heart of the Sea (though it was translated from French so it is only as good as that).  Also while they claimed it was real in the movie, the stone itself in the necklace was a CZ... just sayin' ;)
Titanic fan, Squigs?

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 08:41:15 PM »
Titanic fan, Squigs?
Actually not really.  I've just always been a bit of a fan of that time period and of course gemstones so after watching the movie, I just was curious about the history of the necklace - was it inspired by reality or not (well not diamond but something like it).  There was a sapphire necklace on the ship that was supposed to be the inspiration for the "Heart of the Ocean".  The actual necklace for the movie I think was worth about $10K at the time so it wasn't just a cheap prop of sorts either.

I have seen the movie a few times and I love the clothing and accessories from the time.  My wedding dress was inspired by one of the dresses Kate Winslet wore in the movie.  Pattern was from it.  It's not so much the movie but the early 1900s I love.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 08:41:56 PM by clgwli »
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline Sweet Pea

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2012, 10:56:01 PM »
 It's not so much the movie but the early 1900s I love.

Minus the systemic discrimination against women and persons of color... and the absence of readily available antibiotics... and (horror of horrors) few, if any, colored diamond jewelry pieces, of course...right?   ;) 
"I will put the diamond chain round your neck, and the circlet on your forehead, which it will become: for Nature...has stamped her patent of nobility on this brow, Jane; and I will clasp the bracelets on these fine wrists, and load these fairy-like fingers with rings." ~ Edward Rochester, Jane Eyre

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2012, 07:44:37 AM »
LOL, mostly the style I like.  Even sans colored diamonds, a lot of vintage jewelry from a few periods of time in the late 1800s and early 1900s just is exquisite to me.
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline Sweet Pea

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2012, 12:20:42 PM »
LOL, mostly the style I like.  Even sans colored diamonds, a lot of vintage jewelry from a few periods of time in the late 1800s and early 1900s just is exquisite to me.

Yes -- I do know what you mean.  So many beautiful platinum pieces from that era with delicately wrought curlicues, floral flourishes, etc.  No one seems to make jewelry like that anymore, though I have been impressed with the selection of filigree settings I've seen at the Antique Jewelry Mall site.

One of these days I'm going to get a padparadscha sapphire and put it in one of their rose gold filigree settings. The hard part will be finding a pad that's big enough, the right color, reasonably free of flaws, not HPHT, and in my price range.   ;)

Have there ever been any pads for sale here on DBL, that you know of?   

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 05:11:56 PM »
How frustrating that people actually buy this stuff- without knowing.
Even the disclaimer  High Road posted is still not clear enough.
Either this seller ( his name has been deleted)does not know the diamonds are irradiated- or does not want to inform the people shopping- neither is a good thing.....

HR- we've had a Pad or two over the years.....
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 05:12:36 PM by Diamondsbylauren »
David
Check out our YouTube Channel