Author Topic: Preliminary GIA report is in...  (Read 18453 times)

Offline sherylsbuys

Re: Preliminary GIA report is in...
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2011, 08:16:11 AM »
And the seller is giving us the run around. She says her return policy is 7-10 days and that the diamond was sold to her by a dealer who happened to be a certified GIA.

Yes, a "certified GIA".  ::)

You have gotten a lot of great advice and I echo that.  First, decide if you want to keep the stone. It does appear to be a lovely and if the price was right, you may want to keep it.  If you don't want it, you still have recourse even if you are outside of the PP dates.  I had a previous experience where PP would not give me a refund, so I nicely told the PP customer service rep that he was going to "force me" to call my credit card company and file a dispute.  He said if I did that, I would win the dispute, so he agreed to contact his supervisor for approval of my refund.  I had my money back just a few hours later!

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2011, 08:31:06 AM »
And the seller is giving us the run around. She says her return policy is 7-10 days and that the diamond was sold to her by a dealer who happened to be a certified GIA.

Yes, a "certified GIA".  ::)

You have gotten a lot of great advice and I echo that.  First, decide if you want to keep the stone. It does appear to be a lovely and if the price was right, you may want to keep it.  If you don't want it, you still have recourse even if you are outside of the PP dates.  I had a previous experience where PP would not give me a refund, so I nicely told the PP customer service rep that he was going to "force me" to call my credit card company and file a dispute.  He said if I did that, I would win the dispute, so he agreed to contact his supervisor for approval of my refund.  I had my money back just a few hours later!
I agree this is very good advice all around.  My credit card is far more willing to fight for me than paypal which is why I have my paypal set up to go straight to my CC for charging.  I feel like I have double protection there in a way.

I do hope you love the stone.  I wanted to add my newest pink diamond has a not so pretty sounding imperfections.  I do realize that if there was anything structurally wrong, David wouldn't have sold it.  If you are worried about the girdle a nice delicate bezel could help keep the diamond safe if you do decide you want to keep it :)
Squiggly

Offline sherylsbuys

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2011, 09:00:36 AM »
And your newest pink diamond is gorgeous and more affordable with those structurally non-detrimental inclusions!

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2011, 09:41:50 AM »
And your newest pink diamond is gorgeous and more affordable with those structurally non-detrimental inclusions!
No kidding!  I don't think I would have been able to afford such a lovely pink diamond otherwise!  If I remember I have a cavity, bruise, chip and of course needle and clouds.  I can't see any of it with my own eye and I have eagle eyes.  Sometimes inclusions are far worse than they sound :)
Squiggly

Offline dovesgate

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2011, 03:37:31 PM »
She's here and she is...

GORGEOUS! She's pretty - I mean, I'm not a professional by any means but I don't see the feather from the top. It looks like a white scratch underneath. I saw one of the cavities but I have to say my eyes hurt now from looking so hard. She's sparkly. Soooo so sparkly!

Good thing my boss is here or I'd be looking at her all day!

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2011, 03:42:36 PM »
 >:D

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2011, 05:13:06 PM »
 :blob1: :devildance: :blob1:

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2011, 05:17:05 PM »
And for you, D, NO LEGEND???  :a082:

A report without a legend is like a cake without icing, a mitten without a thumb, a guitar without strings...

Offline lovecolor

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2011, 05:32:20 PM »
She's here and she is...

GORGEOUS! She's pretty - I mean, I'm not a professional by any means but I don't see the feather from the top. It looks like a white scratch underneath. I saw one of the cavities but I have to say my eyes hurt now from looking so hard. She's sparkly. Soooo so sparkly!

Good thing my boss is here or I'd be looking at her all day!

I'm so glad you're happy!  She was all that in the pictures you took...now, what setting are you going to put her in???     :bliss: 

Offline sherylsbuys

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2011, 06:00:51 PM »
I'm very happy for you, too! :6:

Offline dovesgate

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2011, 06:26:14 PM »
I'm going to try getting my own pictures later. She faces up pretty darn white on my hand when i hold her. I ought to try comparing her to my stepmothers' diamond because I know she has a high color stone. H or higher anyway.

I tucked her into the setting Mr Dovesgate got for her and decided last night, for sure, I am not putting her in it. It isn't pretty enough!

I am leaning towards a halo to give her more spread, protect her, and really set her off but then I look at David's tulip. Then I start thinking about a double bezel (though I think I will save that for a gorgeous brown) and then I start thinking about antique styles with things like multiple bezels, lots of melee and maybe flashes of blue or red. Too many wonderful choices!

Offline dovesgate

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2011, 06:29:13 PM »
Not to mention, do I want to play up her yellow tones or tone them down?

Offline sherylsbuys

« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2011, 07:07:39 PM »
You might want to play up her yellow tones.  Yellow diamonds are really HOT right now.  I agree - there are way too many wonderful setting choices with DBL!  And David and Sandra have exquisite taste....  And affordable prices... It really is too much!  :0)

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2011, 08:33:41 PM »
Good to hear you are delighted with Mr Dovesgate's pick!

May I suggest that, if you are going to proceed and design a mounting for the lovely Ms. N, you might think about your diamond as "warm" or "ivory" or, even, "ecru" in color. To me, by the color grade and from the photos, your diamond shows a lovely, delicate, very ethereal feminine tint... it almost appears more brownish than yellowish, but it is hard to tell from the photos (and, as you indicate, it may be hard to tell IRL). In other words, I am not sure that "N" will read "yellow" enough for you to be happy if you are thinking about trying to coax a traditional, easy to discern yellow hue from this diamond. And, by the same token, I am not sure there is enough color to worry about "hiding" it either. Make sense?

*SIGH*

You'll just have to come back for another, YELLOW diamond, down the road...   :dontknow:

Regardless, now that you have your diamond in hand, deciding what to do next is the REALLY  FUN part of the process!  :ura1:

Offline dovesgate

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2011, 09:11:44 PM »
You'll just have to come back for another, YELLOW diamond, down the road...   :dontknow:

Oh yes. A nice bright vivid one!

Offline dovesgate

« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2011, 02:27:04 AM »
Look what I have! Pictures!

My husband was playing with a new program on his phone so now I have my OECs as my profile picture with my username! Fancy! Oh and the background was actually a white piece of paper not the grayish color it shows. I'm going to see if he can get me a video of Her Sparkliness but so far it has been fairly difficult to get nice clear pictures - she is rather dirty now from handling her to get her to show her best face(ts).
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 02:31:39 AM by dovesgate »

Offline dovesgate

« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2011, 02:49:23 AM »

Offline DiamondsAreForever

« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2011, 05:38:15 AM »
She's a very nice diamond.  Choosing a setting will be difficult.

Offline sherylsbuys

« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2011, 05:43:41 AM »
Looking at your latest pics on white paper, I don't see yellow, but I'm looking at a 2D photo on a hand me down laptop from my son).  You do have way too many choices!  The hardship we all glady bear knowing DBL!

Your hands have lovely pink undertones, so you could even consider setting your new stone in a pink diamond halo in 18kt pink.  Let the FUN begin!!!   :grouphugg:

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2011, 09:11:13 AM »
For me, the tint is most evident in reply 40, second from the top photo, then in the top photo.

Offline sherylsbuys

« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2011, 11:14:28 AM »
Good eye!  And I'm sure you have a much better monitor than my kid's hand me down! :geni:

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2011, 11:17:29 AM »
For me, the tint is most evident in reply 40, second from the top photo, then in the top photo.
I agree!  I would treat it more like a white diamond than a yellow though if it were my stone.  I probably would go for a vintagy feel to play on the ivory color of the stone as well.  Tough choice as to exactly what to do though.
Squiggly

Offline dovesgate

« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2011, 11:23:31 AM »
I'm thinking something along the lines of

But, I've just started looking so we'll see.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 11:24:44 AM by dovesgate »

Offline sherylsbuys

« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2011, 01:55:34 PM »
OMG!  Love that setting!!!  :13:

Offline dovesgate

« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2011, 02:43:14 PM »
I keep slipping into the Coyote Den for style inspiration then going to the DBL semi-mounts to dream of ways certain styles could be modified. I highly doubt I will be able to get all the different features I like into one ring. That's ok though because it gives me license to dream of more diamonds in the future.

Hopefully the interview I went to night before last bears fruit so that my dreams can too. :)