Author Topic: Preliminary GIA report is in...  (Read 18194 times)

Offline dovesgate

Preliminary GIA report is in...
« on: December 07, 2011, 05:58:56 PM »
And I'm not sure how I feel about it.

If at the bottom of the report where it says "Key to Symbols" does that mean those symbols will all be on the diagram?

Where it says "Star Length", what does that mean?

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
Re: Preliminary GIA report is in...
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 06:18:42 PM »
HI Dove,
Key to symbols will contain only the symbols used on the report....the star facets are what the GIA is referring to

If you'd like to post the results I can give you more specifc input....
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline dovesgate

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 06:35:47 PM »
I will once I get home. I'm not pleased with what the keys to the symbols say- sounds like a bad diamond. I just hope my husband can get his money back. I also got a picture of it out of him so I will post that too.

Perhaps now he will listen to me when I say to go with a reputable dealer instead of everyones favorite rip-off joint. le sigh.

Offline dovesgate

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 06:48:03 PM »
The key says: Feather, cavity, chip, bruise, natural, extra facet.

Mr. Dovesgate says he bought a J/SI OEC and the report says N/SI2 Round Brilliant with a very large culet.

I can post the rest in about an hour and a half.

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 07:05:16 PM »
Uy-vey....
First off, let's not get too angry with the guy-his heart is clearly in the right place.
Is there a money back guarantee?
I ask this not because the things you're concerned about are automatically bad- although they might be- rather more because it's clear you're not happy- and that's a HUGE swing on the grade promised.....
David

Offline dovesgate

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 07:29:30 PM »
He might be past the timeframe of a return since I insisted on a GIA report. We are waiting to see what the seller says.

I'm not mad but I do feel like having a good cry.  :-[

He did a great thing but I feel like he got ripped off. Again.

Then again, maybe it was a good thing to tell him whatever he gets, he needed to send it there.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 07:49:34 PM by dovesgate »

Offline dovesgate

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 08:30:27 PM »
Ok here's the copy/paste of the report:

Diamond Details  Report No.  1146177545
Control No. 
Client Ref No.
Job No.
Service(s) Diamond Grading Report
Current Status  READY FOR RETURN
Report Issued Diamond Grading Report
Report Date December 07, 2011
Invoice No.  --
Inscription Registry --
Shape Round Brilliant
Measurements 6.09 - 6.17 x 3.99 mm
Carat Weight 0.96 carat
Color N
Clarity SI2
Clarity Status Not Potential
Cut Fair
Polish Good
Symmetry Fair
Total Depth 65.1%
Table Size 54%
Crown Angle 38.5
Crown Height 18.5%
Pavilion Angle 42.4
Pavilion Depth 43.0%
Star Length 45%
Lower Half 60%
Girdle Extremely Thin to Medium (3.5%)
Culet Very Large
Fluorescence None
Comments --
Key to Symbols Feather, Cavity, Chip, Bruise, Natural, Extra Facet
Additional Inscription --

And the picture:

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 09:12:35 PM »
I am curious what about the deal are you most upset about?  If it is the classification, GIA is rather strict about what is an OEC/OMB by numbers alone.

J to N is very huge IMO but the clarity isn't too bad at least.

It does look like a nice stone and his heart was totally in the right place I think.  Good luck with the outcome!
Elaine aka Squiggly
elaine@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline lovecolor

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 09:43:34 PM »
Dovesgate, I'm sorry that you're disappointed.  I was wondering though...do you like the color of the diamond?  Of course, I don't know what it cost...but, maybe it was a great deal even for the N color and not necessarily a rip-off...and if you like the sparkle, color and size of the diamond, well then, maybe your original disappointment in finding out the color was off, could turn into acceptance of a beautiful diamond in it's own right.  Just maybe...you still might love it after all is said and done..., and the picture you took shows a very sparkly diamond.  I love that soft ivory color...but then again, I wasn't the one expecting a J grade...I wish you good luck in whatever you decide!   :-*         

Offline dovesgate

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 09:46:24 PM »
All that really bothers me is the cavity. Once I saw that my heart just sank. The first one that we bought had a cavity - a big black hole that wasn't visible in the pictures and that the local jeweler said had cracks radiating from it and makes the stone weaker. I'm going to guess the chip is on the girdle or near it. That's normal for old diamonds or at least common from what I have read.

The N color doesn't bother me. The pictures are lovely in my opinion and the stone color looks like a J to me (if the center stone in my wedding ring is a J like I was told) But, the N color means we might be able to send it back since that isn't what he was supposed to be getting. The complaint about color is really the only complaint I can make for the seller to possibly take it back.

Edit to add:
Mr. D has just informed me he knew about the cavity. He didn't think it was a big deal - and it is located on the top center facet so it won't be hidden by prongs. He also said that the local jeweler said he couldn't tell if the cavity breaks the surface or not.

Will GIA be able to tell me if it does if I call them before they ship it back?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 10:47:50 PM by dovesgate »

Offline dovesgate

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 11:11:15 PM »
And the seller is giving us the run around. She says her return policy is 7-10 days and that the diamond was sold to her by a dealer who happened to be a certified GIA.

Yes, a "certified GIA".  ::)

Offline DiamondsAreForever

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 05:13:33 AM »
First, the stone looks beautiful to my eye.

I think the tolerance with grading color is +/- 2.  With that being said, this is definitely out of the tolerance range. 

The extremely thin girdle concerns me, unless it will be set as a pendant or in a bezel.

If the Mr. bought the item on an auction and/or used PP to pay, you have recourse there, or if you paid by credit card, you can dispute the transaction for the reasons you've told us.

Whatever you decide, good luck.  It shows as a very nice OEC.

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 05:34:08 AM »
DAF - Remember that the girdle description may apply to a tiny proportion of the girdle. I would not be unduly worried about that. Inspect first, then worry if necessary. Also, on a round (or another shape without corners) it's less of a concern in any case.

Dovesgate: I think you can point the vendor to this place... http://www.gia.edu/nav/footer/copyright-trademark/#certification and kindly tell her to f* off.

It's a lovely stone - probably what would be called a transitional cut, rather than a full blown OEC: the table and crown height are already (almost) in line with what you would see in a modern stone. The lower girdle is still short, leading to large pavilion mains.

Bear in mind that GIA grades/descriptions for the culet are based on modern cut standards. You can hardly see a "small" culet without a loupe, and "very large" means 10-15% of diameter, i.e. in this stone about 0.6-0.9 mm - visible but not obtrusive. Just what you (or I) want.

As to the cavity: if the seller could not tell whether it broke the surface, it probably means it doesn't... Open cavities are easily spotted, particularly if large!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 05:49:39 AM by oldmancoyote »

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 08:02:00 AM »
I am sorry you are disappointed about the diamond. From the photos, it looks gorgeous... and I LOVE the very large culet! This is MY kind of diamond, for sure.

However, regardless how you feel about the stone (or how I feel about it. he-he) it is NOT what was promised... not even close. And, yes, as OMC indicates, we've had this conversation about "GIA Certified professional" before. Just because one has been trained (to what extent is unknown and without practical experience, what's it worth?) doesn't mean one is qualified to grade a diamond. In fact, given all the special measures GIA takes to regulate environment/lighting as well as their high-tech equipment, to defend a grading done in a jewelry shop, or backyard, against GIA's full report is ridiculous.

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2011, 08:07:06 AM »
Remember too that not all inclusions are the same.  What can be a bad inclusion in one stone won't always be bad in another.  Do you know where the cavity is?  Sometimes where an inclusion is can make a world of difference.

One thing that I worry about with the seller though is the unclear return policy.  7-10 days is not clear IMO.  I would want it in writing next time the exact terms of return.  Not something you can change now but for the future.  Not to mention "GIA certified"....
Elaine aka Squiggly
elaine@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline Diamondluvr

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 10:26:51 AM »
For what it's worth, the pictures you posted of the diamond are lovely!  Good luck!!!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 10:27:03 AM by Diamondluvr »
She has spent her life best... who has enjoyed it most.

Offline dovesgate

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2011, 10:54:47 AM »
You are all being very kind and encouraging. I thank you very much for that. After a good night's sleep I am feeling much better.

As to the cavity: if the seller could not tell whether it broke the surface, it probably means it doesn't... Open cavities are easily spotted, particularly if large!

It was our local guy who said he couldn't tell, not the seller. PP was used but we're outside the dates. He had it too long before he shipped it to GIA. We were told to get the FBI Internet Crimes division involved.

Do you know where the cavity is?  Sometimes where an inclusion is can make a world of difference.

It's on the table somewhere.

I'm going to give GIA a call and see if I can find out how large of a cavity it is and if it breaks the surface. It is humbling to admit it but I may have overreacted when I saw "cavity" on the report. It gave me visions of deep black holes so I hope it is understandable.  :-[

Once I get further information about the cavity, I will decide whether we are going to pursue it through IC3. Mr. D says it is up to me. He liked it and thought it was pretty but since I am the one who will wear it I have to choose to keep it or not.

Offline DiamondsAreForever

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2011, 08:19:45 PM »
PP was used but we're outside the dates. He had it too long before he shipped it to GIA. We were told to get the FBI Internet Crimes division involved.

Did he use a CC through PP? You have more recourse then.  I had a problem with not receiving an item from Australia and took awhile to file the claim because, well, I assumed a delay because it was international.  PP said I was past the date, however, my credit card company gladly issued the chargeback.

Offline dovesgate

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2011, 11:15:11 AM »
Did he use a CC through PP? You have more recourse then.  I had a problem with not receiving an item from Australia and took awhile to file the claim because, well, I assumed a delay because it was international.  PP said I was past the date, however, my credit card company gladly issued the chargeback.

I think he used Bill Me Later instead of a standard credit card.

I haven't decided what exactly we're going to do. I did talk to David last night (first time!) and he went a long way towards reassuring me. He advised me to wait until I have it back and decide once I have seen it and held it. Who knows, I may fall in love with it once I have it in my hands.

Thank you for that David!! And again, it was very nice to be able to "meet" you.

Offline dovesgate

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2011, 04:53:52 PM »
It is on its' way here from GIA so I was able to download the .pdf file.

Tech savvy people:
Is it possible to attach the .pdf here, upload it to Photobucket or something?

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2011, 05:09:49 PM »
You should be able to upload a PDF file to Photobucket and then use the IMG code in Photobucket to link the file to CDI.

Offline dovesgate

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2011, 06:04:39 PM »
Awesome. Thanks Trinkette.

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2011, 08:16:30 PM »
here you go dovesgate!

All i had to do was
have the adobe pdf doc open on my screen- do a print screen- use photoshop to create a jpeg with that-upload to photobucket- and post the link! Of course now I realize I missed the legend at the bottom :'(

Anyway- it's important to note that we really can't tell a lot from this GIA report.
For example- it's possible the stone has already been ....rehabilitated. I mean to say cleaned up by a cutter, yet preserving the initial lines.

That might mean that nasty sounding things like "cavity" "bruise" ( hey, lay off my diamond buddy!- I mean who'd want to bruise a cute l'il diamond?)- even Chip ( my nickname, back when I was a cutter) might be nothing at all t be concerned about.

Of course that's by no means any assurance that's the case with your diamond.

But if these aspects are detrimental- due to wear- and repairable, it might be worth it to do an intervention, and send your new diamond to re-hab.

Nothing anyone says who has not seen a given diamond is necessarily relevant to that given diamond. IOW if internet searches show that "cavities" are bad in diamonds- that does not mean they are in yours
David

Offline Sanchica27

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2011, 10:10:20 PM »
Judging by the pics alone I think it's very pretty stone.  I would certainly want to make sure that I was comfortable with the price paid for it and that it was suitable for the type of setting I had in mind but other than that I do like it!
always saving up for my next piece!

Offline dovesgate

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2011, 11:20:18 PM »
Thanks David!

Sanchica, Im good with the price. I already know I'm going to have problems setting it though - there are too many I love! I want a DBL setting but the question is which from the website or if I want to have something made. A halo has been at the top of my list but then there is that gorgeous new tulip setting. Plus there are a few vintage settings I have seen that would be really stunning. 

First things first though. I've waited patiently all this time to even see it so now that it is on it's way, I am getting antsy.