Author Topic: Newbie :o)  (Read 3601 times)

Offline RosyDoc2Be

Newbie :o)
« on: December 05, 2011, 02:27:04 PM »
HI all  :) 
I finally signed up for the forum after spending the last few months perusing the site and debating how to go about contacting David for more info. 
I read on one of the posts that it IS possible to go and visit the actual "store", even if it doesn't look all fancy like most of the other stores in the diamond district.  Is it actually possible to do this?  My boyfriend and I are talking about getting engaged soon and while we are very comfortable with the idea of buying a ring through an online-based vendor, I'd like to see some rings in person mainly because I haven't been able to get a good idea of what colored stones/rings would actually look like on me, haha.  Not much selection here where we are.  Soo...is David (still) amendable to visits? very informal? Love all the stuff he makes!!

Offline lovecolor

Re: Newbie :o)
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 03:26:46 PM »
Hi Rosy,

Of course David would welcome you to his office/store!  Please give him a call...he definitely will be a great help with your exciting new ER decision!  You will be impressed...he is friendly, knowledgable and has a great eye for details.  Please... now that you took the plunge into this wacky world of CDI, working with David is the easy part.  I wish you good luck with your ER decisions and have fun at the DBL store/office!   ;)     

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 04:35:21 PM »
Welcome RosyDoc2Be!  So glad you joined us!  Yes it is possible to visit in person.  Feel free to e-mail us (contact@diamondsbylauren.com) or call us (1-877-952-8736) to set up an appointment with David.  I can say personally it is a wonderful experience to visit and see all the beautiful items in person.  Sometimes it really helps to see things on your hand or against your skin.  I know I changed my mind about what I liked for my hand after trying some things on.  David is a great guy and very friendly - wonderful to work for too ;D

I hope you keep posting here and good luck deciding on your engagement ring!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 04:36:33 PM by clgwli »
Elaine aka Squiggly
elaine@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline djm195

• Member Moderator
  • Man, do I have to do everything around here?
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 05:17:17 PM »
Hi Rose and welcome.

So tell us...what are you leaning towards? Shape, color, metal?

As for feeling comfortable purchasing online...I totally get where you are coming from...I was the biggest skeptic when I was first buying my wife's replacement ER 6 years ago. The only thing I can say to make you feel better about it is to read the threads here and see how many forum members are repeat customers three and four times over....some even more than that... *cough*....Trinkette's in denial so you won't get anywhere trying to figure her out...lol  ;).  Also, check out Davids reviews on ebay as well as the testimony forum here on CDI.

Welcome again and enjoy the process...I know we will, right along with you.

Best wishes,
djm

Offline dovesgate

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 05:25:49 PM »
Hi Rosy! Welcome to CDI!

I already know you're going to love whatever you choose from DBL. David and the rest of the crew are awesome and I personally have learned so much from hanging out in the forum here.

Definitely check out the "Show off your Jewels" category for pictures of exquisite jewelry if you are in need of inspiration. I think it is my favorite part of the forum!

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 06:29:05 PM »
Welcome RosyDoc2Be! If you like unusual or one-of-a-kind diamonds you've come to the right place. When I first found DBL I was uncertain, as you are. However, several purchases and a handful of visits to DBL later, the only regret I have is that I don't have more money to spend on DBL jewelry!

Er... um... I could tell you about all the lovely jewelry items I've purchased from David, but then... I'd have to fess-up. I can't DO that. After all, I am in denial...  :Whistle:

Offline RosyDoc2Be

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 06:40:22 PM »
Thanks!
I know it says on various places in the forums you can stop by, but I don't know if that gets annoying to the people working in the shop and whatnot, haha.  Then again, if one is willing to spend some serious $$$ on diamonds, I'd hope it wouldn't be a problem at all    ;)

We are both saving to buy a ring (he more than I since I'm finishing up in medical school before contributing too much unfortunately), and are planning to spend more on that and have a small wedding...that sort of thing.  I found DBL because I'm really leaning towards a pinkish/brown or light yellow diamond... more unique in my eyes ;)   Based on what I have seen, asscher and radiant cuts are my favourites, but it depends on the setting.  I like the symmetry and the "X" of the asscher, but radiants (and cushions) just have that sparkle!  The goal is to save for something between 2 and 3 carats, depending on the cut.  (I also love the big pears on some of the rings, but he thinks they are ugly! I'm surprised I like them myself haha)

This one looks so classic: http://rockdiamond.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-diamond-201ct-cushion-cut-y-z-natural-light-yellow-vs1-gia-lovely-chunky-look-r4215
...leaning towards something like that, never goes out of style!!  :4:

But this one was my favourite... I love anything with rose gold, and the pink/brown diamonds just look so wonderful set against it! http://rockdiamond.com/index.php/jewelry/pink-halo-diamond-ring-203ct-brown-pink-radiant-exquisite-color-gia-pink-diamond-halo-r3262

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 07:50:17 PM »
Excellent choices there!  Personally I own a Y-Z radiant (replacement for broken engagement ring) and a Light Pink round "flower ring" for my right hand.  I love both for very different reasons but both get a lot of looks when I am out and about.  People are constantly asking me if they are real diamonds and that just makes me smile.

I had a love for yellows for many years so when it came time to replace my engagement ring I knew what I wanted in terms of the center diamond.  It took me forever to decide between a halo and a three stone ring though, so it was set in a simple solitaire for a year.  Then a stroke of genius (okay Mrs. Mitchell) made me think about bezels and I did a total change and went for a double bezel setting. My point is I so know how hard it is to decide what you want.  Seeing things in person should really help you though.  I know it helped me really decide on a few things myself.  I realized that sometimes what I love on the screen is not what I love on my hand.  Also what I am indiferent about on the screen can turn into a huge love of mine.  Just ask about my pink RHR ;D
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 08:15:10 PM by clgwli »
Elaine aka Squiggly
elaine@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 08:10:32 PM »
It took me a while to figure out that the rings and diamond shapes that I often covet at are not always the rings and diamond shapes that flatter MY hand. Disappointing, yes. However, there has to be SOME method to edit all the fabulous choices! Visiting local jewelers to try-on as many different "shapes" as you can, followed by a field trip to David's office, should lead one to discover the "perfect" ring and diamond profile!  >:D

Offline DiamondsAreForever

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 08:41:52 PM »
Welcome, Rosy.  

DJM stated that many of us are repeat customers and it's true.  I have a light yellow (Y-Z) square radiant with trilliant sides, a colorless emerald cut with a pink halo and diamonds on the band, a fancy light yellow marquise with a halo and a diamond band, a ruby ballerina ring with marquise and round diamonds making up the tutu, a pair of diamond inside-out white diamond hoops, and a pair of fancy light yellow cushion studs (the diamonds were mine, David graciously set them for me).  

I like your first choice, it stands out and it's a classic for sure.  

You'll have a ball when you go to see David.  It's like hangin' out with a friend.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 08:42:46 PM by DiamondsAreForever »

Offline firegypsy

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 09:45:14 PM »
Welcome!  I'm fairly new here myself, but I'd encourage you to stick around.  Once you dive into this world it can be suprising how your tastes change.  I would never have predicted that I'd end up with a pear in rose gold!  It took YEARS of searching, trying things on and drooling over other's pieces to loosen me up and really get me into the nitty gritty.  The gallery here is UHmayZING and full of incredible pieces.

Once you go DBL you won't go back, so just be prepared!

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 11:04:10 AM »
Gosh, I'm late, but I just wanted to say hello and welcome to the forum!

Jen
Customer Service Associate
jennifer@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 12:37:20 PM »
DAF, I encourage you to join me in The State of Denial...  ::)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 12:38:12 PM by Trinkette »

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011, 01:45:25 PM »
What's the state income tax, T?

Rosy - welcome to CDI!

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 07:42:36 PM »
DAF, I encourage you to join me in The State of Denial...  ::)

'Ya think I should?

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2011, 07:43:34 PM »
What's the state income tax, T?

Rosy - welcome to CDI!

Wish it were $0, then we could afford more jewelry.

Offline RosyDoc2Be

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2011, 04:25:04 PM »
Actually now that you mention state taxes, how does that work exactly? If you buy something is there tax assessed per the state it is shipped to? or by NY? ....I'm thinking I might make a friend in Delaware.  ;D

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2011, 05:27:24 PM »
If you buy something (from DBL, I assume) and have the item shipped to a NY state address, sales tax at roughly 8.5% has to be added (precise value depends on your shipping address).

If you have the item shipped to another state, no sales tax can be added - however, pretty much all states that have a sales tax also charge a use tax for good purchased from out-of-state, at the same rate as the sales tax.

Whether you actually declare the out-of-state purchase on your state tax return is something between you, your accountant and the IRS; however be warned that states adjacent to NY have been pursuing recipients high value shipments rather aggressively in the past...

Offline sherylsbuys

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2011, 08:02:14 PM »
OMC - you have amazing knowledge!

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2011, 08:31:08 PM »
I haven't had a problem with the jewelry shipments and I'm next door.

I do know, however, that NJ sent tax bills to people who bought cigarettes online (we have a tremendous tax to discourage smoking).

Also, I know when DF has purchased cars and paid below book value, the motor vehicle department has sent letters telling him that the book value was X and they wanted the tax based on that.  He sent them back a letter telling them they couldn't tax him based on what they think the car is worth and that any further correspondence should be addressed to his attorney (his brother).

« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 08:32:28 PM by DiamondsAreForever »

Offline Late Unicorn

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2011, 05:00:08 AM »
Welcome, fellow newbie.  I like it here, and having lurked here for two years, I can tell you this is true:

Once you go DBL you won't go back, so just be prepared!

Heh.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 05:01:24 AM by Late Unicorn »