Author Topic: caveat emptor?  (Read 9361 times)

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
Re: caveat emptor?
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2011, 09:26:29 PM »
That is odd about the seller then.  Really sounds strange but if you believe the seller then I would imagine something was up with the buyer.
Elaine aka Squiggly
elaine@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2011, 04:29:19 AM »
The more details I hear, the more I think your buyer simply changed her mind (because it didn't fit, because she saw something else she liked more, because she realised it was more "worn" than she thought, because it was the third day of the rising moon, ...).

If I simply wanted to avoid the "scandal", I would have offered you your money back. Period.

The fact that he offered you a "fair purchase" value is to me a sign of his good faith: you are a valued customer, you no longer want an item that you bought but that is perfectly OK, and you want cash. Fine, no problem: here's how much I am offering - I know that I can resell it at a (small?) profit later, and I don't want you to feel mistreated. If he had any doubts that it was as described, he would have either stalled (if it was a major amount) or "gagged" you with a full refund.

Incidentally, on period pieces, marking can be all over the place - and each nation has its own standard for marking. In France, after about 1900, the gold mark is an eagle's head, and platinum is a dog's head - no numbers whatsoever, and they are tiny and usually poorly struck. I have a pair of Cartier cufflinks that have Italian and French hallmarks, and for good measure an 18k stamp, but I also have several other pieces that are undoubtedly in gold or platinum and have no marks whatsoever.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 04:53:38 AM by oldmancoyote »

Offline lovecolor

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2011, 06:52:29 AM »
Okay OMC, you've kind of convinced me to go back...oh wait a minute...I wasn't there in the first place...never mind!    :icon_scratch:       :Exit-Stage-Right:

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2011, 07:23:35 AM »
 >:D ;D >:D

Offline DiamondsAreForever

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2011, 07:58:46 AM »
Okay OMC, you've kind of convinced me to go back...oh wait a minute...I wasn't there in the first place...never mind!    :icon_scratch:       :Exit-Stage-Right:

LoveColor, you're too funny. 

On the other hand, the antiques dealer should have the necessary tools on hand to test the item.  Why not go back and explain that the more you thought about it, the more you get confused and ask him to test it in front of you, FireGypsy?

Offline dovesgate

« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2011, 09:37:33 PM »
I also have several other pieces that are undoubtedly in gold or platinum and have no marks whatsoever.

If you wanted them marked would a jeweler mark them with the proper stamp?

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2011, 09:49:51 PM »
I also have several other pieces that are undoubtedly in gold or platinum and have no marks whatsoever.

If you wanted them marked would a jeweler mark them with the proper stamp?

That's a good question as it brings up the different methods used stamping jewelry.
With certain pieces it would require quite a complex operation- such as adding a bar where to affix the content stamp.
With modern pieces it's really necessarily to make sure it's there when you purchase.
Some older pieces may not have- or need- a content stamp.
David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline firegypsy

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2011, 10:02:41 PM »

LoveColor, you're too funny. 

On the other hand, the antiques dealer should have the necessary tools on hand to test the item.  Why not go back and explain that the more you thought about it, the more you get confused and ask him to test it in front of you, FireGypsy?

oh he certainly does.  he's tested things for me before, stones and metals.  he seemed fairly confident in what he believed, and I really have no reason to doubt him to date.  OMC, you're making a lot of sense.

I don't know about the seller.  she knew it was an old piece and when she asked to buy it I even wrote to her to underscore the fact it was old, well loved and NOT in new condition.  that it had signs of wear but was thoroughly checked and safe to wear.  She said she wanted it *because* it was an antique and had history.  but there could have been any number of reasons she wanted out.  fact is, my guy didn't act like ANYTHING was amiss at all. 

Offline firegypsy

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2011, 10:27:00 PM »

LOL!  I will bring you!

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2011, 07:19:34 AM »
The more you talk about this the more I definitely agree that the buyer sounds like she had buyers remorse.  I guess she wanted a real out for a return and lied.  Very strange though. 
Elaine aka Squiggly
elaine@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline saqsay1

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2011, 10:02:20 AM »
Things that make you go hhmmmm. Unless I missed something, what kind of bracelet was it? gemstone or  just gold? What I don't understand is, why the jeweler didn't test it right in front of you when you brought it back??

At least the story has a happy ending. I am glad things worked out for you. ;)

Kinda reminds me of when I went to a pawn shop to have a gold and diamond multi stone necklace that I bought,  tested, and they told me the gold was real, but the diamonds fake. I went to another jeweler who said the diamonds were real and good quality. i still wonder if it was a mistake, or they were hopeing I would sell it to them for scrap.
"If the US government were placed in control of the Sahara Desert, it would run out of sand in 25 years."

Offline ah2bqat

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2011, 11:51:41 AM »
Glad things turned out satisfactorily for you, firegypsy.  The whole situation rather turned my stomach.  I'm too much a 'nervous  Nellie' to deal well with this sort of problem.
Auntie Dammit :Heart: DBL!

Offline firegypsy

« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2011, 12:03:20 PM »
it was just gold, a nice heavy gold.  I am still spinning it in my head, and I think the reason he didn't test it was because he already had.   ???  I mean, if HE was confident in what he sold, and fully recognized the piece when I brought it back I can see why he wouldn't.  Had I wanted to keep it and was questioning him and wanting proof I'm sure he would have.

Interesting about the necklace.  That kind of thing freaks me out!

ah2bqat me too!  I'm just glad it's over!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 12:04:00 PM by firegypsy »

Offline Trinkette

« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2011, 07:05:42 AM »
So glad you were happy with the resolution... although... the mystery continues...

Interesting storyline.