Author Topic: Need Your Opinion on a 2 Carat Princess Cut.  (Read 6951 times)

Offline needyourhelp123

Need Your Opinion on a 2 Carat Princess Cut.
« on: November 13, 2011, 11:30:03 AM »
GIA Certification
2.02 Carat Princess Cut
Square Modified Brilliant
Color: G
Clarity: SI1
Table: 68%
Depth: 79.4%
L/W ratio: 1.02
Sym: VG
Polish: VG
Fluorescence: None
Price: $12000

I will be buying within the next few days so I really would appreciate it if someone can tell me if this is a good deal or not.

Thank you very much and I appreciate it alot.

Offline needyourhelp123

Re: Need Your Opinion on a 2 Carat Princess Cut.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 11:31:00 AM »
Here is a picture of the diamond as well

Offline Debangel

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 11:36:56 AM »
IMHO, if this were a diamond listed on DBL, I'd think it was a great price.  However, are you buying from a person or company that you trust?  I know the stone *supposedly* has a GIA certificate, but are you savvy enough to know if that certificate belongs to the particular stone you're considering?  See again, "are you buying from a person or company you trust"?

It's hard to see much from the photo, not that *I* would know how to help you in that regard, anyway!  My two cents' worth is 1) 12 grand is a LOT of money, no matter how good the deal looks, so know where you're putting it, and 2) you've definitely arrived at the right place here at CDI.  Please stay tuned, and welcome!

Offline needyourhelp123

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 11:46:51 AM »
Debangel - Thank you very much for replying so quickly.
The person I bought from is trust worthy and I know that the GIA certificate does belong to this diamond - I had it checked by a NY Jeweler whom I trust.
I will try to post the GIA inclusion picture to give you a better idea.

The main reason I am asking here is because when I compare to some of the diamonds in the market with the same specs. It seems like the price I got is not the greatest.

Please let me know.
I appreciate it.

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 11:55:37 AM »
Is it a good deal? It depends on what you are looking for. If your dominant criterion is to get a 2 carat stone that looks white, perhaps it's OK. If you want a lively, bright and super-clean stone, this isn't one - as far as one can judge from one poor quality photo and incomplete information from a GIA report (which in any case does not have the information you need). JMHO.

As to price - it's at the bottom of the range of what similar stones will go for. Which is why my opinion on the cut is what it is (the photo is not great, but it doesn't show what I would like to see, and when I put the price into the picture, things start to make sense).
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 11:57:25 AM by oldmancoyote »

Offline Debangel

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 12:17:05 PM »
OMC, I would have "tagged" you on that post if I could have- your response stated just what I was thinking, too!  Yes, it's not possible to tell from just the one photo, but in my VERY undereducated opinion, a stone that  large, white and eye-clean has got to be lacking in something to be at that price point, and I didn't think it was all that "lively", either. 

NYH, have you done any serious comparison shopping?  I know it's easy for those of us who love DBL and this forum to plug David's merchandise, but, honestly, THERE'S A REASON.  You have nothing to lose by giving them a call and finding out what they can come up with for you, so at least you'd have a better idea of what you could get for your money?  I can tell you from personal experience that the photos and videos on the DBL website will really tell you what you're getting in a stone, in case you're worried about purchasing sight-unseen.  (I am in CO, and it literally took me less effort to get my ER from DBL than it did to buy one locally, probably for twice the price!) 

Either way, I hope you stick around!  We always love to talk sparkles around here, regardless of where they're from.  Keep us posted!

Offline needyourhelp123

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 01:09:02 PM »
what is DBL? Sorry for my ignorance

Offline oldmancoyote

• Member Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 01:13:56 PM »
Diamonds By Lauren - the company that sponsors this forum. No need to apologise; there's a fair amount of lingo that the regulars use, such as DBL or CDI (Colored Diamond . Info, this forum) that takes a while to pick up.

Offline Diamondsbylauren

• Administrator
    • Diamonds By Lauren
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 01:48:20 PM »
Hi NYH  ( it's true, we're big on initials around here:)

Great points have been raised here.
1) it's crucial that you check out the seller to make sure they are legit
1a) it's not been mentioned- but make sure you get a money back guarantee ( not just a store credit if you're not happy)

2) A single photo- like the one you posted, won't give us enough info to make any sort of realistic assessment.
There is one thing that sticks out on the GIA report- 79.4% depth percentage.
It might be a pretty stone- but for sure it will appear smaller than better cut 2ct Princess Cuts.
In fact, that depth is a negative aspect simply because the number is extreme.
That's one reason the stone will be less costly than other , better cut stones with the same GIA grade.

Did the seller mention the depth? IMO, it is incumbent upon a seller to let you know if there's anything causing devaluation of the stone.

David
Check out our YouTube Channel

Offline DiamondsAreForever

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 03:28:05 PM »
The depth is also what stuck out to me, as well.  It's going to look smaller than a 2 ct stone with say, a 63% depth.  Also, the depth gives you a good idea of how the bottom of the diamond is cut. A diamond that is too shallow or too deep will not properly reflect light back out of the top of the diamond, so you would have a diamond that does not have nice "fire" and brilliance.

By the way, welcome to CDI.  If there's something particular you're looking for, why not give David a ring and see what he can find.  I've only been on this forum for a little over a year, but admired his jewelry for a few years before I actually joined this forum.  Needless to say, I now own five DBL pieces, plus I've had him set a pair of yellow diamonds into stud earrings for me. He's very honest, and the quality of his jewelry is beyond reproach.  
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 03:36:40 PM by DiamondsAreForever »