Author Topic: Question about, er, mixing and matching pieces with different diamond shapes...  (Read 15121 times)

Offline Late Unicorn

(I realize this is more of a fashion question than a jewelry care question, but I couldn't find a folder for fashion/style queries.)

Is it considered a major fashion faux pas to wear ring/necklace/earring combos in which the diamonds are of different shapes?  I mean, does it look noticeably weird if your earrings are round studs and your ring(s)/necklace are Asschers?

This is coming from a near total diamond novice, so please, nobody laugh.  ;-)

Also, someone should tell me if this question belongs in a different folder.

Offline lovecolor

Hi LU,

I do wear all different shapes of diamonds at the same time and no one seems to be laughing...just gawking...in a nice way!  ;)
My ER is an emerald cut and I wear stackers that are cushion and oval.   I wear either my white pendent, which is an asscher cut  or my yellow pendent, which is a radiant cut and my earrings are rounds...and I wear them all daily.  If you think I'm missing a few shapes, I know, I'm working on that.   ;D   

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
Totally okay in my opinion.  Most of my little diamonds are rounds and my e-ring is a radiant.  I would wear whatever I wanted and not worry about it.  I'm not totally into being "matchy" though.

I also mix metals so I think having everything look the same is not needed.
Elaine aka Squiggly
elaine@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline Late Unicorn

Alright, good to know I can invest in pieces with more than one shape.  I'm a little fashion challenged, so I have to ask about these things.

Offline lovecolor

:radiant:      :pear2:      :princess:       :pear:      And don't forget colors...   :heart2:

Offline Trinkette

Hummm, perhaps CDI could have a "Trends" section...?

Great question! I would say that there is absolutely no problem mixing and matching diamond shapes (or colors!). After all, just think about the many cluster-style rings, brooches and etc   especially from the 30s and 40s that with spectacular results combine baguettes, emerald cuts, round brilliants, trills and many more in just one jewelry piece... Like anything in fashion, if you tie a look together with a common theme or thread, whether it be materials, colors, textures, or patterns, and most importantly, the fact that you LOVE your pieces, whatever you do should sing. After all, these are accessories and adornments that reflect YOU and YOUR preferences, right? There is no wrong or right here. It is YOUR statement to make.

If you ask me, wearing RB earrings, with a RB tennis bracelet, with a RB solitaire ring is a little TOO safe and staid... mix it up and tantalize the eye with all the beautiful and COMPLEMENTARY shapes, colors and sizes available to you!

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
I had a lesson about this once.

Many years ago, prospective female officers received what I can only really think of as finishing school classes in the British Army. The woman from Estee lauder came to show us how to apply make up for specific occasions, the woman from Christian Dior came and told us what to wear for each occasion, and the man from a high-end London jeweller talked to us about what jewels to wear, when and why etc.

Mixing shapes was deemed acceptable, or mixing stone colour, but both was frowned upon. For example you might have a necklace, earrings, bracelet and ring all diamond, and they could be any shapes you wanted, or say, a diamond ring, sapphire earrings and necklace - then, they would all be the same shape.

Diamonds aren't worn in the country or before noon, and never by unmarried ladies... ;D

Generally, I like to know what the 'rules' are before I disregard them. When you get right down to it, most of them are nonsense - wear what you like,  and rock it! >:D
Customer Service Associate
jennifer@diamondsbylauren.com

Offline Late Unicorn

Woah, hold up...not by unmarried women?  Yikers.  I'm stuck in perpetual singledom for now.  I think that's one rule I will have to ignore.

Offline lovecolor

Woah, hold up...not by unmarried women?  Yikers.  I'm stuck in perpetual singledom for now.  I think that's one rule I will have to ignore.

HELL YEAH!   :gogirl5:

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator

I think you'll be fine to ignore that (and pretty much any other) rule! You wear what you like and what makes you happy!

Although, that rule was important in Britain (ok, England) until fairly recently - that's why engagement rings here were traditionally colored stones, not diamonds.  ;)

Offline clgwli

• Administrator

I think you'll be fine to ignore that (and pretty much any other) rule! You wear what you like and what makes you happy!

Although, that rule was important in Britain (ok, England) until fairly recently - that's why engagement rings here were traditionally colored stones, not diamonds.  ;)
I never even made that connection before!  Very interesting how the rules change from one country to the next.

I know in the US part of the marketing for a right hand ring revolved around the idea that women can buy diamonds for themselves... you don't need a man to buy you a diamond ring.
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator
You don't need a man to buy diamonds for you. Or anything else, for that matter. Women can buy diamonds for themselves, other women and for men. So can men. Oh, that whole advertising campaign rubbed me the wrong way. Like we needed permission to be independent (really? Not a hint of irony there, eh?). Ok, don't get me started...

Offline Piglette

I am the kind of wife who frowns upon my husband's wearing a tie with a strong print on top of a shirt with any kind of print.  I don't mix polka dots and stripes in cushions or bedspreads.  However, I happily and willingly mix and match diamond shapes and colors!  (If you feel that you must limit your "palette" of diamond selections, let me offer to simplify your life.  I will allow you to send along the odd shapes and the orphans to me, and I will put them in my jewelry box a charitable collection box.)

A word about the "British" rules for wearing diamonds:  I am all in favor of those rules.  They are marvelous!  (Or, as the Brits might say:  "marvellous!")  My opinion is based on the fact that my mother-in-law was a confirmed Anglophile, and she had very unyielding views on what was "correct" with respect to wearing jewelry.  As a result, she did not really wear or enjoy her serious diamonds, and so she gravitated toward her beautiful pearl ring and a few yellow gold pieces.  She was (therefore) very casual about giving her son (my then-fiance) a gorgeous diamond ring to give to me.  (She just didn't really appreciate/value diamonds.)  Of course, she also did not "approve" of my wearing the ring on an everyday basis, and made that clear.  But, as one of my sisters said:  "Well, you know in advance when you're going to see her, so THAT disapproval is easily taken care of!"

So, all Brits who feel that wearing diamonds is disallowed and/or cumbersome may also feel free to send the offending items to my a good home in the Colonies!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 03:35:22 PM by Piglette »

Offline Trinkette

Many years ago, prospective female officers received what I can only really think of as finishing school classes in the British Army. The woman from Estee lauder came to show us how to apply make up for specific occasions, the woman from Christian Dior came and told us what to wear for each occasion, and the man from a high-end London jeweller talked to us about what jewels to wear, when and why etc.

I think this entire scenario is hilarious. Etiquette and fashion tips from the Army... ? Seriously, I understand why it was deemed necessary; however, the outcome... sending reps from high houses of cosmetics, fashion and jewelry to do makeovers for the troops gives me the giggles. Great story, Mrs. M. Helps explain why you are ALWAYS so spot-on correct and prepared...  :notworthy:

So, all Brits who feel that wearing diamonds is disallowed and/or cumbersome may also feel free to send the offending items to my a good home in the Colonies!
Here! Here! Piglette, a "MARVELLOUS" idea! You crack me up...  :devildance:

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
You don't need a man to buy diamonds for you. Or anything else, for that matter. Women can buy diamonds for themselves, other women and for men. So can men. Oh, that whole advertising campaign rubbed me the wrong way. Like we needed permission to be independent (really? Not a hint of irony there, eh?). Ok, don't get me started...
I agree... as much as I hated the campaign and knowing they were milking money off of it, the reality is many of my friends liked it and did buy expensive items for themselves where they wouldn't have before :(

I guess the perception of jewelry of being gifts to someone else and not yourself was bigger than I realized.

Of course I bought my own engagement ring so I had no issues with that anyway even as a younger lady ;D
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline Mrs Mitchell

• Member Moderator

I think this entire scenario is hilarious. Etiquette and fashion tips from the Army... ? Seriously, I understand why it was deemed necessary; however, the outcome... sending reps from high houses of cosmetics, fashion and jewelry to do makeovers for the troops gives me the giggles. Great story, Mrs. M. Helps explain why you are ALWAYS so spot-on correct and prepared...  :notworthy:

Here! Here! Piglette, a "MARVELLOUS" idea! You crack me up...  :devildance:

Not the troops, silly. Just the female officers. So, you know, we could marry male officers... ;D

Piglette, it's a kind offer, and don't think I don't appreciate it. However,  I don't think you're getting quite how Colonialism works - we don't send you stuff, we tax you. So, send me your diamonds... ;D

No? Worth a try...

clgwli, I have zero problem with buying stuff for myself. I've always resented that some of the things I have to buy include heating, fuel, food and rent. It should all be shiny stuff...

ETA the makeup lady liked a lot of make up. I'd only wear that much makeup to my work if I worked in a Big Top.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 05:27:52 PM by Mrs Mitchell »

Offline Trinkette

Sorry, Mrs. M. Silly me.  ::)  I knew that. Careless writing on my part. I stand corrected. I should have written "the female officers who were in training to become officers' wives..."

It is clear to me now.

And yes, that is even more hilarious.

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
LOL that's a great reason to teach you all about make up and stuff ;)

I have no issues buying for myself either.  In fact I wish all my money could go to shiny stuff.  In general I think it will.  Only other thing it might go to is clothes now that I've bought quite a few shiny bags too ;D

It's kind of sad when women won't buy for themselves.  I had one lady I knew that every single piece that she owned (other than family items) came from her husband.  He didn't have good taste either........

If we're being taxed I think my DH and I will just move to Puerto Rico.  Not much there gets taxed and lovely weather all year long!  I don't want to give up my shinies!
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline dovesgate

It's kind of sad when women won't buy for themselves.  I had one lady I knew that every single piece that she owned (other than family items) came from her husband. 

I can count on one hand the number of gold pieces I have ever bought for myself. A wedding ring for my disasterous first marriage, a matching set of plain bands for my husband and I, and my chrysoberyl ring. Everything else has come from my husband (though with my input).

Don't get me wrong - I have purchased plenty of silver or costume jewelry for myself but with a mother who has only bought one piece of jewelry for herself and a stepmother whose entire collection was purchased by my father (except for a silver cross she bought when she was 18), I just always assumed my nice jewelry would be gifts from my husband. It's funny though because I have little to no problem buying it for other people. 

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
Dovesgate I think your comments are very "average" for the ladies I know when it comes to buying.  My husband bought me a diamond ring on ebay decades ago, my wedding band (at least I think.... maybe I did LOL), bought 2 pairs of diamond studs for me.  One set was absolutely beautifully done - he went to a certain place and they picked earrings based on the last pair I got.  The other set are just "eh" to me.  The settings aren't the best and the quality is just okay (but they are very bright white)

So he's bought some, but most of what I wear now.  In fact I plan to get another diamond ring soon and it will be all me :)  In general he can't buy for me because I am super picky.   If he buys for me, he has to be told what I want ;) 

I've always been very independent about certain things and have been buying rings forever.  That way it isn't very emotional if I decide to sell them when my tastes change.  For some reason I cannot "collect" rings.  If I don't wear them, I don't keep them unless they are family pieces.
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline lovecolor

I buy almost all my "fine" jewelry myself.   I actually shocked this one woman who never thought of doing it herself.   I found out early, that I'm not going to get the "fine" pieces I like unless I'm the one who does the buying.  My DH actually hates to shop, so he was all in for this, that plus the fact he has no idea how much "fine" costs or should cost.  The last piece of jewely I let him buy me was from a discounted store that sold everything from bbqs to luggage.   We weren't married yet, but still...YIKES...how would I ever get my fancy vivid yellow radiant pendent from there???  Now, when an occasion comes up...he sweetly asks, "what did I get you this time?" and I sweetly answer back..."let me check my gift closet".  ( I believe in buying presents in advance just to make sure they arrive on time! )   >:D >:D >:D        
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 08:30:02 AM by lovecolor »

Offline Trinkette

"Gift closet." I like that. I need to get me one of those...  >:D

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
Gift closet?  That is a FANTASTIC idea!

I did forget the anniversary band my husband bought me.  But much like the reset of Sunny I picked it and he paid for it.  Really that's how we work.  Even the ebay diamond was kind of my choice. 

I wonder if he would go for the closet.  Though I would have a hard time buying a ring and not being able to wear it ;)
Elaine aka Squiggly

Offline lovecolor

Gift closet?  That is a FANTASTIC idea!

Though I would have a hard time buying a ring and not being able to wear it ;)

I have occassionally worn things from my gift closet when he wasn't around...is that bad?

Offline clgwli

• Administrator
Gift closet?  That is a FANTASTIC idea!

Though I would have a hard time buying a ring and not being able to wear it ;)

I have occassionally worn things from my gift closet when he wasn't around...is that bad?
Not in my eyes.  Since I stay at home that might work for me....
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 09:45:08 AM by clgwli »
Elaine aka Squiggly